Life update

Life update

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:22 pm

The last month has been a very busy one.

About a month ago I received a phone call from a friend of mine about my interest in an opening they had at their office. My buddy thought I was a good candidate but also knew I had a good job and wasn’t actively looking to move.

Well the more he told me about the position, the more it sounded like I’d like it.

Little background, the owner of my company passed in May of this year at age 94, Mr Joe Burns. My decision to apply wasn’t based on any kind of fear about my current job, but with the thought that things would be changing there.

So with the help of some friends I put together a resume that best suited the position I was seeking. (Harvest Manager) which is a nice way of saying Logging Supervisor.

The job posting didn’t close for another week so I had a week and a half to think and wonder. The Area manager did call me during that time to feel me out and answer any questions I had about the position.

The next call I received was from HR asking me to schedule an interview.

I interview at 2:15 on July 3rd... hadn’t dressed up like this in a while.

The interview went well I thought, although it was a challenging interview in front of a panel of 5 people asking me questions. After being home from interview for about an hour my phone rang, it’s the area manager. He asked me what I was doing and I said, man I’m just trying to clear my head and relax after that interview. He said, yea they are tough but you did well and we’d like to offer you the job. I was taken back a little, because I didn’t expect to hear from them till Thursday or Friday, but he said he thought I’d appreciate knowing where I stood going into the 4th of July holiday, and that they move fast when they find their target. I was later told that I interviewed along with 7 others, and the talent pool was pretty good. It’s nice to know that all of my experience over the last 12 years and my ability to communicate well paid off.

Wife walked in about this time and got to hear the offer on speakerphone, she was really excited for me.

My first day will be next Monday, the 23rd.

Of course I had to give my current boss my notice, my last day there will be this Friday the 20th.

My exit interview, so to speak, went better than I could have imagined, including them allowing me to continue to deer hunt where I’ve hunted the last several years as an employee, only change is I will have to pay to lease it now, which is way better than trying to find a new place and moving a 4x6 ft box stand.

So my work will change in that I’ll be only supervising logging contractors instead of buying timber, supervising loggers, supervising tree planting, marking boundary lines, prescribed burning....etc

I’ve worked hard for 12 years at current job, and this will be a nice breath of fresh air and change of pace for me, in that I’ll be doing more of what I enjoy and less of what I don’t.

I’ll be moving from a small company to one of the biggest, but I’m ready for it. I’ll have more vacation days and holidays at the new job, along with a great benefits package.

I’ll still have a company truck, but I won’t have the freedom with it that I had at my old job, so a personal truck was a must. Found the exact truck I wanted at a good price north of Dallas and brought it home yesterday.

All this has caused me to sacrifice some of my offseason calling practice but I’ll be getting back to that pretty soon, and I’m looking forward to September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Re: Life update

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Congratulations! Wishing you the the very best at your new job.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:08 pm

Good goin', Eric. May your next chapter bring good things.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:10 am

Congrats! Happy for you and your new adventure

I'm sure you'll get caught up on the calling in no time riding in that new truck
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 am

Congrats Eric!!!!!
Never easy to make a big job change, but sounds like it is a great opportunity for you :beer:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks, I’m not moving or anything, just will be a different type job within the forest products industry, but I’ll still be mostly running the roads, checking loggers, and looking at tracts, which is what I most enjoy.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 am

Duck Engr wrote:Best part I saw for your duck hunting adventures was “more vacation days.” I get bumped up to 3 weeks next year and I can’t wait!

Yea I’ll be bumping to 3 weeks next July. I’ll have some time I can take in January though for this coming season. That’s when I usually take my time anyway.

Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:09 am

Best of luck my friend. You will continue to do well. I am sure of it!
Ducaholic

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Congratulations, Eric!! Well done!
Lreynolds

Postby Throbbin Rods » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 am

Most of us don't get that lucky. Congratulations and good for you for jumping on the opportunity when it popped up.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Ericdc 2017-2018