Post season

Re: Post season

Postby Ericdc » Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 am

Rick wrote:At least in our part of the state, blinds have to be down off the side of levee roads for obvious reasons, and even if the farmer doesn't often drive it and will forego maintenance mowing to leave cover on it, said cover is more bane than boon. Geese will be leery of predator's there, it will restrict the hunter's view to that side of the pit, and 180 degrees of the pit will still stick out like the proverbial turd in a punch bowl:

CIMG1996a.jpg

That's a different angle of the blind in the video, and the road's maintained, but it does show the issue I'm speaking to.

The geniuses who built that monument to whackers would still be hunting the spot and tickled with it if, instead of making the blind that much more obvious, they'd scrapped the panels they were no doubt proud of, brushed the pit with a layer of wax myrtle boughs and then made what appeared a grown-up ditch or fence line with clumps of the same running in line with it along the road. Super easy, given the levee road's access and the blind all but disappears.

Same fake old "ditch" or "fence row" is the best way I know to make what would otherwise be more suspicious island blinds in flooded pasture appear much less like what they are.

Yea that’s awful, that’s what the “sky busters” (you’ll see me mention them occasionally from 2014-2016 logs) pit looks like. Ours will be actually in the levee road and flush with the level of said levee road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 31, 2018 5:04 pm

Tomatoes are coming on strong, hoping the deer or extreme heat doesn’t hurt them.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 31, 2018 7:01 pm

The maters are tall yup. Mine have only been in the ground a month. Started seeds inside in April.

They only bloom when it's a certain temp.
Too hot and they won't. Too cold same same.
I'm lucky and live in a zone where I get like twice the number of "right days" and it's easy peasy to grow lots of maters.
What variety you got there?

Assateague's complainin' about a rabbit in his garden. It's funny because he's a trapper.
Told him to snare it, conibear it, or use leg-holds if necessary.
Last edited by aunt betty on Thu May 31, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Lots of variety

Cherries: 1 of each
Black cherry
Chocolate cherry
Sungold
Sun sugar
Super sweet 100

Regular:
Celebrity
Cherokee purple
Bradley pink

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 31, 2018 7:11 pm

Ericdc wrote:Lots of variety

Cherries: 1 of each
Black cherry
Chocolate cherry
Sungold
Sun sugar
Super sweet 100

Regular:
Celebrity
Cherokee purple
Bradley pink

I got super sweet 100's too. Another one...I forget which.
Have Celebrity, Cherokee Purple, and Brandywine Pink. They're for salads pretty much. Maybe burgers. We don't can them.

We got 9 Big Boys and lots of Romas (40) We make pasta sauce. Gallons I mean like 20.
The Big Boys are for chili or whatever else. There's some called Super Steak as well. (8 plants)

Planting watermelons and cantelope this week.
Mid-July I'm doing the pumpkin patch. That way the pumpkins get done right before Halloween. (and hunting season!)

Where all do you get seeds from? We do Burpee and Gurney's.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 31, 2018 7:53 pm

I buy plants from local garden store

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:36 am

Good garden rain!

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:43 am

To demonstrate the power of compost I'll tell my compost story.

One year the neighbor I had at the trailer park started a big pile in his yard. Was kind of nasty. He was composting and really didn't have a plan. His pile got pretty big then he moved. So I had this nice 3' tall pile-o-stuff and nobody would claim it.
Eventually the land-lord decided it was mine and wrote me up for Ron's pile. Ron was long-gone.

So I rolled the pile over and planted some impatiens. Real shady yard.
Repeat. I rolled that pile weekly and each week I'd plant some flowers in it's foot print. Those impatiens are not exactly big flowers but that year they got to be tall and bushy. Huge. Point is that Ron's pile was leaving a little bit of something (juice) behind. I was watering that pile too. Eventually I spread what was left of the pile around a flowering bush. Forget what it's called. They're everywhere north and south.

Compost is amazing stuff. Have a pile of my own now. When I plant something I'll toss a handful of the compost into the bottom of the hole then plant whatever and forget about it. Try it.
Some people make what they call "compost tea" and use it for watering like fertilizer.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:13 am

Growing up, had a neighbor with a compost pile, and it was like a gold mine for earth worms when we needed bait for fishing :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:20 am

Deltaman wrote:Growing up, had a neighbor with a compost pile, and it was like a gold mine for earth worms when we needed bait for fishing :thumbsup:

Yeah I forgot that part. The decaying stuff attracts worms. Worms compound the benefits of the compost. They aerate and fertilize. Worm poop is where it's at.

These days everything is done with chemicals. I suspect if worm surveys were done for the last 100 years annually we'd have a "save the worm" foundation along with the bee one.
Chemical farming and GMO crops can't be good for worms.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:24 am

I remember when I was a kid and it rained the whole city smelled "wormy". Now that I'm thinking about it I don't recall that smell anymore and hadn't even noticed it missing.
Maybe I just don't get out enough to smell it. I know Arkansas smells wormy when I'm down there. :mrgreen:
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:09 pm

After meeting with my landowner last night and giving him our deposit, we discussed how much easier the field will be to irrigate rice and beans, and also to flood for duck season.

I asked him if he would allow us to seed our new levee road in order to get some grassy vegetation growing on it so it won’t be so bare.

He suggested using Browntop Millet. My only concern is that an eager game warden might consider us manipulating a crop when we access the blind. I like the idea of sowing millet because I know how hardy it is.

Another friend who hunts in our area suggested sowing Bermuda grass soon followed by rye grass in October. The Bermuda would turn brown with frost while the rye would stay green through the season and possibly be attractive to geese?

Looking for advice and opinions.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:57 pm

johnc wrote:Blind color needs to match whatever it is you plant

geese go to greens late in the year---cedar branches for blind cover

Blind will be brushed with Johnson grass and some rice stubble clods mostly.

Maybe have rye grass mixed in with dead Millet or Bermuda (although after checking on Bermuda grass seed price...maybe not)

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:10 pm

johnc wrote:Apparently you have a plan and it figured out already then

Well my main question was whether to be concerned about using Millet on our levee road.

Just know I’d like some kind of grass, whether green or brown growing on our 15 foot or so wide levee so I can blend the pit brush with.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:25 pm

Called game warden, he said not to use millet. We’d be definitely manipulating it by driving or walking through it on levee road.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Weeeell, technically making a path through a crop to your blind is not baiting according to the federal regs - but if your local guy says it is, that's a battle I'd avoid. Were it me, I'd just let the natural weeds come on, as they'll probably be easy to match or partly cover with whatever you use on the blind. Have seen a lot of guys plant rye grass, but nothing I know of will match it like cedar matches natural grasses and weeds.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 pm

It’s just going to take a few years before the natural stuff gets there. The levee road made at my old field last summer is still pretty bare.

Was hoping to plant this first year and maybe it’ll take care of itself next year.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:59 pm

Just scatter clumps of whatever you brush the blind with down it - and don't let your blind partners gather it all up and pile it on the blind, like our genius guide staff does after I dress naked ground to match a blind.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:02 pm

But don't be surprised if you go back two days later and find the blind looking like a haystack on a denuded road, and the guy who hunted it the day before swears he found it that way.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Nah my guys understand how to properly brush the pit and keep it pretty flat and low profile, but they do kinda let me “fix it how I want it”

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Rick wrote:Just scatter clumps of whatever you brush the blind with down it - and don't let your blind partners gather it all up and pile it on the blind, like our genius guide staff does after I dress naked ground to match a blind.

Yea if the Johnson grass comes up as thick as it normally does on areas of the farm, that will work.

Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:37 am

Ericdc wrote:Called game warden, he said not to use millet. We’d be definitely manipulating it by driving or walking through it on levee road.

Only because planting on the levee is not a normal agricultural practice. Is that what he told you?
Ducaholic

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:42 am

Ducaholic wrote:
Ericdc wrote:Called game warden, he said not to use millet. We’d be definitely manipulating it by driving or walking through it on levee road.

Only because planting on the levee is not a normal agricultural practice. Is that what he told you?

He said Millet wasn’t used for soil stabilization or erosion preventing.

I told him we planted on logging roads all the time for that very purpose, and I’ve seen it planted in fresh pipeline ROW’s because it is such a hardy plant.

Not gonna push it.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:06 am

WTF!?! During comment phase the site changed threads on me thus making the comment seem quite inappropriate.
Must have hit the 'fuck-up" key again.

Site was inaccessible for me yesterday for security reasons.
You guys got a free day off.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:15 am

I saw that yesterday morning and sent Olly a text to let him know. He was at work at the time, but was kind enough to get us back in action when he got home. THANKS Olly :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:16 am

I didn’t have any issues on Tapatalk

Ericdc

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:22 am

Ducaholic wrote:

That's not the reason. It's if you knock it down. If you plant corn for normal agricultural practices and then some moron comes out and does donuts in it, it is considered baiting because it is manipulated. You are fine to plant it, but you cannot tramp it down. You can flood it or leave it standing. You just can drive over it or cut it or knock a bunch of it down.

This is one of the reason I hate the baiting laws. If you have the money, you can easily bait legally. However, it is very easy to get in trouble for baiting even if you had no intention of baiting.

Nothing wrong with planting millet, it just can't be where you, your vehicles, your dog, etc. are going to knock a bunch of it to the ground. That's why the warden said "by driving or walking through it on levee road."

We had very low water a number of years ago. I planted millet all over the place where it would not get manipulated. By the time the season rolled around every little bird and probably some ducks and geese had cleaned it out. It was pretty amazing. I only needed to plant probably 10 times more to be useful.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ducaholic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:10 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:

That's not the reason. It's if you knock it down. If you plant corn for normal agricultural practices and then some moron comes out and does donuts in it, it is considered baiting because it is manipulated. You are fine to plant it, but you cannot tramp it down. You can flood it or leave it standing. You just can drive over it or cut it or knock a bunch of it down.

This is one of the reason I hate the baiting laws. If you have the money, you can easily bait legally. However, it is very easy to get in trouble for baiting even if you had no intention of baiting.

Nothing wrong with planting millet, it just can't be where you, your vehicles, your dog, etc. are going to knock a bunch of it to the ground. That's why the warden said "by driving or walking through it on levee road."

We had very low water a number of years ago. I planted millet all over the place where it would not get manipulated. By the time the season rolled around every little bird and probably some ducks and geese had cleaned it out. It was pretty amazing. I only needed to plant probably 10 times more to be useful.

You can knock it down in the normal practice of getting to and from the blind, setting out deoys, picking up decoys, retrieving downed birds etc. Anything beyond that is illegal. Both my Uncle and First Cousin are retired game wardens. It's a slippery slope. Eric is right, no reason to push it.
Ducaholic

PreviousNext

Return to Ericdc 2017-2018