Post season

Re: Post season

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:30 am

Ducaholic wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:
Ericdc wrote:Called game warden, he said not to use millet. We’d be definitely manipulating it by driving or walking through it on levee road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only because planting on the levee is not a normal agricultural practice. Is that what he told you?

That's not the reason. It's if you knock it down. If you plant corn for normal agricultural practices and then some moron comes out and does donuts in it, it is considered baiting because it is manipulated. You are fine to plant it, but you cannot tramp it down. You can flood it or leave it standing. You just can drive over it or cut it or knock a bunch of it down.

This is one of the reason I hate the baiting laws. If you have the money, you can easily bait legally. However, it is very easy to get in trouble for baiting even if you had no intention of baiting.

Nothing wrong with planting millet, it just can't be where you, your vehicles, your dog, etc. are going to knock a bunch of it to the ground. That's why the warden said "by driving or walking through it on levee road."

We had very low water a number of years ago. I planted millet all over the place where it would not get manipulated. By the time the season rolled around every little bird and probably some ducks and geese had cleaned it out. It was pretty amazing. I only needed to plant probably 10 times more to be useful.

You can knock it down in the normal practice of getting to and from the blind, setting out deoys, picking up decoys, retrieving downed birds etc. Anything beyond that is illegal. Both my Uncle and First Cousin are retired game wardens. It's a slippery slope. Eric is right, no reason to push it.

Right, and this wouldn’t be but a 20 ft strip about 1200 feet long, but anyway. We going to plant rye grass in October I believe.

Ericdc

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:37 am

Ducaholic wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:
Ericdc wrote:Called game warden, he said not to use millet. We’d be definitely manipulating it by driving or walking through it on levee road.

Only because planting on the levee is not a normal agricultural practice. Is that what he told you?

That's not the reason. It's if you knock it down. If you plant corn for normal agricultural practices and then some moron comes out and does donuts in it, it is considered baiting because it is manipulated. You are fine to plant it, but you cannot tramp it down. You can flood it or leave it standing. You just can drive over it or cut it or knock a bunch of it down.

This is one of the reason I hate the baiting laws. If you have the money, you can easily bait legally. However, it is very easy to get in trouble for baiting even if you had no intention of baiting.

Nothing wrong with planting millet, it just can't be where you, your vehicles, your dog, etc. are going to knock a bunch of it to the ground. That's why the warden said "by driving or walking through it on levee road."

We had very low water a number of years ago. I planted millet all over the place where it would not get manipulated. By the time the season rolled around every little bird and probably some ducks and geese had cleaned it out. It was pretty amazing. I only needed to plant probably 10 times more to be useful.

You can knock it down in the normal practice of getting to and from the blind, setting out deoys, picking up decoys, retrieving downed birds etc. Anything beyond that is illegal. Both my Uncle and First Cousin are retired game wardens. It's a slippery slope. Eric is right, no reason to push it.

It gets very subjective as to how much can you knock down before you cross that completely subjective line. One warden won't bat an eye at it and another will get out his ticket book. Where you are driving and bringing in your junk and around the blind where everybody will be probably tramping it down, which they shouldn't be so you blend in, but even in the best case can be difficult to avoid, especially if you hunt a lot with a lot of people. Yes, it doesn't have to be pristine, but just better safe than sorry as you said. This means keep it out of the high traffic areas, but away from that, you shouldn't have to worry.

The other thing in my limited experience is that you have to plant a whole lot to make a difference. I thought I planted a lot and the birds just cleaned it out long before season. I was amazed. I was all happy as I was watching it grow. Once it got ready, the devouring hoards of sparrows and other little suburban dwellers swarmed in and cleaned it out. If we get another period of very low water and all the exposed land that comes with it, I will plant again, but this time I will go with something different, maybe clover or maybe try and plant it later and try to time it better. We actually have the opposite problem right now. Our lakes are so high that one of our "dry" fields is a marsh so you can't drive or walk through it, so you can't mow it and it's becoming and overgrown mess and not a goose field.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 am

I think Eric was wanting to plant millet more for its cover value than feed. But my first year down here I helped new friends plant Japanese millet on their Pecan Island lease, and by September teal all that remained of the heads was what the birds stood on while devouring the rest. Was all gone long before the big season in November. So timing's pretty durn important.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:17 am

Yes I wanted Browntop for cover and vegetation on our new levee, not food, since it wasn’t going to be in the water. Not saying birds wouldn’t eat it either though.

Ericdc

Post season

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:49 pm

Recon mission to the farm yesterday. Pit hasn’t been put back into the levee yet, but they appeared to have turned on the pumps in the last day or so to start irrigating our rice, which is about a month behind the rest of the farm due to the field work that was done in May.

Standing in the exact spot pit was last year and should be put back pretty close to there.

Tricia checking out the rice growing on the north half of our field. (We were on the north road of our field when I took this)

The new levee road that now runs east and west separating the rice from the beans pic was taken from the west end of our field where everything drains towards.

Last edited by Ericdc on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Levee road constructed last summer in my old field starting to grow some vegetation. Image

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:24 am

Photos can be deceiving, but I'm still liking the apparent size of those cuts.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Rick wrote:Photos can be deceiving, but I'm still liking the apparent size of those cuts.

Yea the cuts are pretty evenly separated by levees since it’s precision leveled.

Excited about being back in rice.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:48 pm

That's about all we'll have left going forward, is talk about how pretty our fields are marsh look this year.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:26 pm

johnc wrote:How close is the blind to the levee that comes in perpendicular to that road

Blind hasn’t been placed yet

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:46 pm

DComeaux wrote:That's about all we'll have left going forward, is talk about how pretty our fields are marsh look this year.

You go ahead and do that, Dave. I'm going to work birds and shoot some of them.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:That's about all we'll have left going forward, is talk about how pretty our fields are marsh look this year.

I was ready to respond to it, but bit tongue. Know Eric is fired up for what we DO have in 2018 along with many others around here, myself included. And I'm sure there's one or two in other states that think of us in Louisiana as spoiled little sh*ts who complain about not having any birds, yet our slow hunts are as much as some kill in an entire season.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:37 pm

Rick wrote:

Is that what David was saying? Or meaning?

David?

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Most everybody here quit hunting ag land geese when the Canadas quit coming - until the specks showed up. And if our old ducks all bail on us, I intend to get better at tripping up those new-fangled black-bellied ones or whatever else shows up.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Rick wrote:Most everybody here quit hunting ag land geese when the Canadas quit coming - until the specks showed up. And if our old ducks all bail on us, I intend to get better at tripping up those new-fangled black-bellied ones or whatever else shows up.

I hear you, I was just hoping David wasn’t being as pessimistic as it seemed.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:

I was ready to respond to it, but bit tongue. Know Eric is fired up for what we DO have in 2018 along with many others around here, myself included. And I'm sure there's one or two in other states that think of us in Louisiana as spoiled little sh*ts who complain about not having any birds, yet our slow hunts are as much as some kill in an entire season.

As it should be .
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:46 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:

As it should be .

Which is why you will get no sympathy in any shifts in migration patterns. We need to spread the wealth :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
SpinnerMan

Previous

Return to Ericdc 2017-2018