Preseason 2017

Re: Preseason 2017

Postby aunt betty » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Rick wrote:"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom." -- Chief Sitting Bull. Reckon the Sioux wanted to eat, too.

But from a less romantic or survival oriented perspective: we addicts would be out there scraping resin and sifting through the seeds and stems.

Still far from that point, at least where I hunt. Just frustrating to see us stampeding toward it.

Scrapin' and siftin'. Chief Rick.

It's a damn good analogy.
Can scrape a couple mallards out but only when the weather is just right with a favorable moon and the right kind of attitude which takes a good minute to achieve. 8-)

First you gotta run out and set up during the hot-side rainy windy part of the storm. Wait for it. It sucks.
Then the wind changes and oh shit it got cold. Might snow mixed with rain or rain mixed with snow then the ice box.
Wait for it. Wait til it hurts and keep waiting. Then they show up with tired wings all feet down an shit.
Bam bam a couple times til u limit and get the heck out.
Hope they're still around tomorrow. AND THEY'RE GONE.
Will get them next year.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:06 am

Got in our planned work day at the Bunkie camp. For my crew working inside-camp detail, was a battle with wasps for the ages. Fortunately, despite their numbers they weren't aggressive, zero stings, but lots of them.....big healthy ones. Was a nasty mess that included a long-dead rat corpse wrapped around a goose shell, rat poison, droppings from said rats, numerous snake skins and eventually, yep, one snake.

Skin collection, and wasn't even the final tally
IMG_5485.JPG

Johnny and I were on the early shift and the reinforcements came and did a ton of work after us, prepping the field with the small buffalo behind the Rhino and further tidying up the camp.

Pre-buffalo field from camp porch. Have about 8 inches of water on the field
IMG_5480.JPG

Faintly heard a few specks but didn't see them or any other fowl around the farm, but didn't go looking either. On way there saw a few mixed geese just above Krotz Springs off 71 in a field they frequent. Did get to see and hear a 4-pack of specks, though, high over my street here in BR in the afternoon, of all places.

Heading down Friday AM to touch up blinds, fish, cook, and carry on until we head to the blinds with guns Sat AM. Only got a few youth hunt reports from Delacroix, good hunts with spoons, grays, teal and a couple of squealers, but none of these hunts were close to us.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:19 am

I saw an article in the 008 magazine my wife brought home with a picture showing a man covered with geese. I didn't have my cheaters on but was able to make out the author, and it was you. I'm going to read it when I have my eyes on.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:01 am

DComeaux wrote:I saw an article in the 008 magazine my wife brought home with a picture showing a man covered with geese. I didn't have my cheaters on but was able to make out the author, and it was you. I'm going to read it when I have my eyes on.

ha! Might recognize the face too
Darren

Postby Darren » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:46 am

Got a third hand report for our general area last night "fulla grays", so we shall see Friday morning
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Snow cover looks a lot better this year than last

Current snow cover, as of Nov 8, 2017
Nov 8, 2017.JPG

Same day in 2016
Nov 8, 2016.JPG

Headed down to the camp late tonight, touching up blinds in AM and seeing if we can't box a few speckled trout
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Friday 11/10/2017 Opener Eve Outing

With a north wind humpin', we were all fired up to head out to the lease to see what might be out and about but it didn't even take leaving the camp to get a good idea. Wave after wave of birds were coming off Lake Borgne from our north heading south, thousands on thousands, far as you could see. Primarily divers but also teal and some grays.

Eventually got down to our stompin grounds and found good numbers, and plenty on the way there too. Did some touch up brushing on the south blind and went chase a few trout. Was able to box 7 or 8 nice ones drifting nearby bays, cork was under plenty but I was watching the skies, ducks all over.

IMG_5514.JPG
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Came across this story from a local writer I grew up reading in the magazines I now contribute to and thought some of you would enjoy it:

"Hunting perverts the soul," wrote Ruark. "No waterfowler is sane. He smokes an opium all his own."

Here was perfect proof, as we weaved down Crooked Bayou bundled up against the icy wind and wedged amongst the three 'rogues and two sacks of dekes on board. Yes, this "opium" that motivates us is nothing but a mental picture: a 3-pound bird turning to our beckon from a little plastic whistle, slowing his wingbeat, cupping his wings and slowly cascading toward some molded plastic shapes bobbing in the water before us. Perverse, indeed. Crazy, indeed. But for the afflicted, there is no cure.

Full story at link below; talks about marsh near my camp:

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=2705
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Great article Darren, Thanks :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Talked to Robert from Oak Island this morning: 60-some Saturday, 20-some Sunday, and then it got really discouraging...
Rick

Postby Darren » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Heard Mike hunted with Henry thursday and it was slow, think they got a few more yesterday but haven't gotten full report. Can confirm it was almost exclusively teal for opening weekend
Darren

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Darren wrote:Post teal hunt this morning, loaded up and headed south for a blind build on the lease. Roped my dad into it and he was a huge help. Had most of the lumber already on site having dropped it off last trip down here. Ended up even visiting the blind we built last year in the hole we lost access to in order to salvage a few pieces from it that proved handy today.

Got it built at the right height I had in mind, change of pace from the hotel-like behemoth on south pond of the lease. This one's railings are beneath the grass height, perfect. Threw a half ass paint job on it and we're in the game. Will brush with local bushes in about 30 days, nearby crop is looking top notch.

IMG_5198.JPG

IMG_5209.JPG

IMG_5211.JPG

And from the pond side view
IMG_5214.JPG

Did see some teal a few miles away on the ride to and from the lease, they weren't there a couple weeks back on last visit.

Neat to look back and see how this blind build paid off

IMG_5621.JPG

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_6111.JPG
Darren

Previous

Return to Darren 2017-2018