Post-Season 2018

Re: Post-Season 2018

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:42 am

When you think about it shotgun shells they are probably the least expensive thing we buy in the big scheme of things from an equipment perspective and the most important IMO. I don't buy the most expensive nor to I buy the least expensive but when it comes to shells I'm going to buy something that gives me confidence to make the shots I know I can make down range. Teal and early season that's going to be a quality 3" 1/1/4 Oz. shell and when the second split rolls around especially in January I'm going to 3.5" 1 1/2 Oz. shell. Total cost for the year about 300.00 dollars if the ducks are cooperating. That's 5.00 dollars a day for the season. Well worth the money.
Ducaholic

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 am

johnc wrote:
aunt betty wrote:There has to be at least one ballistics guy here. How many #7's does it take to kill a mallard? How many #2's?
BB? I knew a guy who shot nothing but BB. He was one of the extreme range types that we kind of try to avoid.

about 5 pellets at about 2.5 ft lbs of energy to penetrate vitals
Learn something every day. Hmmm. If I lift a one pound duck up 2.5 feet upwards it'll die? (only if you pick it up by it's johnson) Something goofy about that unit. I could spread that 2.5 foot pounds out to last a week and it's till 2.5 foot-pounds of work or energy. There some little piece of info missing. The "impulse". How long it takes to apply the force.

The physics analysis of a collision between a duck and a small spherical projectile must include that little detail.
Draw a free-body diagram plz. :mrgreen:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 am

johnc wrote:Shoot whatever works for you is my opinion.

I shoot mainly bb’s the whole season. Have for many years now. If others think that’s crazy,oh well.

I know though if you are in a field combo duck/goose situation—- if you go smaller then 2’s,the geese better be in your face or you’ll watch a lot glide off going down at an angle WITH conventional steel shot

I think that's certainly wise given your particular setup; went through a case of 1's in Bunkie last year and hope to do it again this season.

From the Rosner lethality chart, it shows #6 lethal out to "up to" 45 yards, that's presumably at the hotter end of the velocity spectrum he showed, think we all can agree that shooting #6's at 45 yards probably not the best idea. BUT A #6 can't be all that much more lethal than a #7 given comparable velocity, so would think 7's or so still a legit < 30 yards teal load.

Tend to agree with John though, why cut corners where the proverbial rubber meets the road, where your long anticipated shot meets feather. This discussion of the cheapest effective option available is just for fun, as the early teal season is about the only time you can get away with less than ideal loads to save a few bucks.
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:27 am

Darren wrote:...as the early teal season is about the only time you can get away with less than ideal loads to save a few bucks.

I'd like to think using up whatever's in the bag explains much of the empty hull assortment I find in the blind during September teal time...
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 am

Am currently getting a grin out of how a "Smaller Gauges for Waterfowl" thread on DHC has morphed into a discussion of super-duper-killer-diller 10ga loads, because ducks won't come close anywhere (private or public) in Missouri. Must not be flooding enough corn...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 am

This for teal, also in the 7/12, and 23/4 #4 for the big show. The #4 is at 1550...We seem to be doing okay with both of those.

5d9b573190c5802104b7b0c156955d32.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:37 am

What we all do is called waterfowl hunting but what I do is not even comparable to what you guys consider barely acceptable.
Hard to explain. My chances of bagging a goose on public are like a million to one. There are like 15 BB shells in my bag. They've been there so long that I am not sure I'd shoot them. Hunting in a little tiny hole 25 yards across.

Ah the duck squirter motion decoy failure.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:51 am

Wonder what size shot is in the shells that this guy uses.
Heard of a shotgun start for golf but this is ridicurus.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:56 am

johnc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:This for teal, also in the 7/12, and 23/4 #4 for the big show. The #4 is at 1550...We seem to be doing okay with both of those.

How does that hull and casing do as far as holding up in auto loaders?

Can't say john, I don't reload, but the casing seems stiff enough.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 am

DComeaux wrote:
johnc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:This for teal, also in the 7/12, and 23/4 #4 for the big show. The #4 is at 1550...We seem to be doing okay with both of those.

He talking auto shotguns or re-loading machines? I had good results with that light #6 load, DC, killed teal ducks dead seemingly just the same as a heavy 3" #4. Talking just over dekes, didn't push it to distance but also didn't find a discernible max range, birds just fell
Last edited by Darren on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 am

Rick wrote:Am currently getting a grin out of how a "Smaller Gauges for Waterfowl" thread on DHC has morphed into a discussion of super-duper-killer-diller 10ga loads, because ducks won't come close anywhere (private or public) in Missouri. Must not be flooding enough corn...

At least they're shooting at ducks, here in Louisiana there are zero ducks anymore, so no use for a 10 ga anyway! :D
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 am

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
johnc wrote:

He talking auto shotguns or re-loading machines? I had good results with that light #6 load, DC, killed teal ducks dead seemingly just the same as a heavy 3" #4. Talking just over dekes, didn't push it to distance but also didn't find a discernible max range, birds just fell

If that's the case, I've/we've had zero issues with these shells in the guns. These in my VersaMax are like shooting a BB gun, I feel nothing. Makes it nice for that time when we're hunting in light weight summer clothes. (no coats)
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:Am currently getting a grin out of how a "Smaller Gauges for Waterfowl" thread on DHC has morphed into a discussion of super-duper-killer-diller 10ga loads, because ducks won't come close anywhere (private or public) in Missouri. Must not be flooding enough corn...

At least they're shooting at ducks, here in Louisiana there are zero ducks anymore, so no use for a 10 ga anyway! :D

I'm keeping a log, date stamped, of these comments to present at a later date......maybe in a just a few short years from now. :D Sort of like pre Trump election clips by the left media.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:57 am

johnc wrote:yes I was meaning no issue in the gun

as far as the versamax,,any issue with the fore end cap loosening? That has been the only issue I have ever seen written about that gun,and supposedly it was in the early production---that gun is supposed to be a hammer

what is the stock length of pull? probably 14 3/4"----length of pull is critical for me being able to be able to hit like I want too is why I ask---really 14 flat is my ideal fit,especially with any kind of winter clothing

Yes, I've always checked those on all Remington's after each volley. It has been for forever, for me, a habit following reload. Though, those on the 1100's and 1187's didn't seem to do this.

I'm not sure of the pull, I'll have to check that. Whatever it is, it works for me.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:58 am

aunt betty wrote:

That burlap self painted or store-bought, and if the later do you recall the pattern?
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:

I'm keeping a log, date stamped, of these comments to present at a later date......maybe in a just a few short years from now. :D Sort of like pre Trump election clips by the left media.

To what end, Dave? Lafayette was chock-a-block with old duck hunters who'd already abandoned the sport when I got here in '83, because "The ducks don't come any more." Things change, and migrations that know and care nothing of corn shift. And we keep cramming more guns into less land to help spur on change in the migrations that matter to us.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm

johnc wrote:as far as the versamax,,any issue with the fore end cap loosening? That has been the only issue I have ever seen written about that gun...

Have seen online complaints of gas blow-back in the shooter's face from under the forearm - and recommended electrical tape shimming to prevent it.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:

Go right ahead. There may be some changes here and there, but not the mass hysteria that J. G. would lead some to believe. My talks with the old timers at a club near Rick said same thing 8 years ago when I first hunted with them, "birds don't come here any more" they said, but since then I've put a few feathers on the cutting board from that location to the furthest east points of our state.

Things are changing, again, it's just not the mass chaos that some are claiming. One guy says "no birds are down" while the next farm over is blazing away, just all about perspective. Day before opener just this past season I saw waves on waves on waves of birds such that none of us from that area had ever seen before regardless of weather, time of season, etc. Plenty still came and we made out just fine. One thing is for certain, we have high expectations down here that's for sure! What's a junk slow hunt for us down here is bragworthy in a lot of other areas, again, perspective and expectations. If truly no birds, we'll still gain plenty of weight each season going to the camps regardless

@JohnC, no issues with those little dove loads in my M2, cycled just as a 3" would, didn't notice particular deformity of the hull
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:54 am

Darren wrote:
One guy says "no birds are down" while the next farm over is blazing away, just all about perspective.

I don't think it's a perspective, but more the reality of not having enough birds to go around. I think all of the prime areas, areas where ducks have migrated to over, and over again through time, will always have some, but these prime areas are not so reliable anymore. Is lack of migration numbers causing this? Seems if only so many migrate at one time, during one push, they'll all be in the same place when they get here, and that's where you'd want to be, as some are.

I did witness an impressive influx (migration) over a couple of days last season, with a mass exodus a few days later. This, during the cold spell up north, and I'd assume those northern, golden nuggets they couldn't shake from their memory. Like you, we're going to be out there regardless. I'm starting to get that excited feeling. Teal is getting close.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:03 am

DComeaux wrote:I did witness an impressive influx (migration) over a couple of days last season, with a mass exodus a few days later. This, during the cold spell up north, and I'd assume those northern, golden nuggets they couldn't shake from their memory.

Don't know how many golden nuggets they find there, but do know guys in Arkansas who live for thaws when the ducks we've banged the heck out of here show back up in the rice and oaks.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:13 am

DComeaux wrote:I'm starting to get that excited feeling. Teal is getting close.

Sweet Chereaux is off with a bunch of the kids on some Florida beach, so I'm taking full advantage of getting to blow my calls as loud and long as I want any time I want and even have the Model 12 propped by this desk to practice shooting points on the walls with its bass-akward safety whenever I take a fit to. Miss her for sure, but "home alone" has its perks.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I'm starting to get that excited feeling. Teal is getting close.

Sweet Chereaux is off with a bunch of the kids on some Florida beach, so I'm taking full advantage of getting to blow my calls as loud and long as I want any time I want and even have the Model 12 propped by this desk to practice shooting points on the walls with its bass-akward safety whenever I take a fit to. Miss her for sure, but "home alone" has its perks.

:lol: I cherish those alone days, and I do the same. The cats don't care much for the Riceland......
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:28 am

"Tend to agree with John though, why cut corners where the proverbial rubber meets the road, where your long anticipated shot meets feather. This discussion of the cheapest effective option available is just for fun, as the early teal season is about the only time you can get away with less than ideal loads to save a few bucks."

I'm still pissed we can't use the low brass lead #8 dove loads that we grew up with for shooting teal ........dammit! :o
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Ah teal season. That's where I go set up in somewhere I'm not supposed to be and get my boat bombarded with crappie jigs.
It's always such fun to jump up and shoot a pair of pretend teal just so I can watch two grown men jump out of a fishing boat into 4 feet of water.
Always a lot of fun. Delightful. :lol:
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Well if I ever brag about a hunt and it seems "meh" by your standards it's because I worked ten times harder and spent ten times longer afield to get the brag strap. I have to set thru a blizzard and wait wait wait for it to end so the ducks can finally come down under the clouds. Have to have extreme faith that they're up there out of sight.

Have a network of hunters and we get buzzing like crazy when it's right.

Have actually had Brian Malone from Ottawa (IL) on the phone coaching me as he's looking at his radar. "Wait another 90 minutes" and they'll be there. That guy is worth paying to take you hunting. He oozes knowledge and you get taught without even trying.
He has a ton of bands and every 5th word out of his mouth is "band". I've only met one guy with more bands. HARPIE!

Brian's at Braidwood. Go find him and learn.
Ask him to bring Cody Fink. You'll have a blast.
Those two guys speak fluent Canadian (goose) lol
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to Darren 2017-2018