Post-Season 2018

Re: Post-Season 2018

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:37 am

The one decoy I dislike is the old-school Flambeau wood duck decoys. They are too light, top-heavy, and will spin on the water. I mean upside down, right side up...repeat.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:41 am

The older water keel flambeau pintails will not stay upright either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 am

p1450216983.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:59 am

Holy shit I bet you have a few Haydels. I wore out a pile of them. My daughter uses them to decorate her xmas tree.
I think maybe I have one somewhere. You spent too much time in Arkansas hunting with 'purists'. I know a few of those types who take pride in doing more with less. Might even be one. I certainly was for sure one of them back 20 or 30 years ago.

They scoff at my boat/blind and try to get me to hide by a tree like they do. I like being dry and comfortable setting in a chair with feet on dry deck/ground. Heater pointed right at me. :mrgreen:
Little problem. Dick-deep water to these guys is chest-deep on me. I tried.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 am

Tree house? Are you hunting near Egypt in the slough (Old Cache River) owned by them nuns?
The guys built one hell of a blind there for "Smilin Mallard".
It was the most impressive thing those guys did. Shooting down at my decoys sort of sucked. They shot about 18 of them.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Ducaholic wrote:GHG will never get another penny from me. Avian X is a superior decoy and it looks like GHG has taken notice.

I do have a contact at GHG that's treated me well whenever I had an issue with a decoy of theirs, but realize that's not a service most enjoy.

Switched to running Avian X grays last season and have been a big fan of those. To me they're A++ in realism, but also so far are very durable and have not scuffed or scratched, and we're pretty hard on them in the marsh. Their small dekes have come on too, the teal, etc. These "newer" brands are really pushing the older ones to be better, which will only benefit hunters, just to the detriment of their account balances.

I'm sentimental about some things, like to use some things I've used a long time. But with decoys I will continue to swap out what I have when I feel there is something new out that is an upgrade. Have plenty friends of mine that love to come shop my 2nd hand sales haha, just my 2- cents.

Looking like I will be posting my remaining Mojo spinners for sale in near future after some trials with Lucky Duck's offerings last season. They won't help me kill more ducks than the other, but they're easier to use and appear more durably assembled from what I've seen so far. Again, if an upgrade is available that will improve my hunt experience.....
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:36 pm

My grandfather's decoys were the best ever made.
He kept them in a pen in his garage. At age 5 I tried naming one and was quickly banned from the garage.
Live decoys. Oh man I wish...

Back then you shot a couple decoys so you wouldn't come home empty handed. Naming them was a no no.
Last edited by aunt betty on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:38 pm

aunt betty wrote:My grandfather's decoys were the best ever made.
He kept them in a pen in his garage. At age 5 I tried naming one and was quickly banned from the garage.
Live decoys. Oh man I wish...

With the hype train we would have sworn the new GHG dekes to be nearly live
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:43 pm

When GHG eliminates the need for a duck call by having decoys do the calling I'd be interested.
Heck a big corporation like that should be able to get the no e-caller law changed easily with some big dollar DC lobby types.

I'd pay $500 each for duck decoys that call ducks. Tell your buddy to get right on it.

I'm kidding. Troll-post. Bad betty bad.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:41 pm

johnc wrote:...decoys are down on my list of importance but what do I know

Thought you were running a big spread.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:52 pm

johnc wrote:
old Cajun hunter story---several "coot" decoys with just 3 pintails----he killed the hell out of ducks

The first over-60 Cajun I hunted with probably had a 100 or so poule d'eau decoys rafted in his pond and would throw 6 or 8 duck decoys out between them and his bateau blind. And we did well enough over them that when Doug bought out Goose Lake Lodge's decoys when they lost their marsh another guide and I took all the poule d'eaus for a similar rig in what we called the "little marsh". Limited every morning of that first split except one when folks bailed early to get to the airport and nearly as well the second (this wasn't yesterday). At season's end we kept those poule d'eau dekes separated from the camp's ducks - which Doug interpreted as not being used, and he hauled them to the dump.

Anyway, there's a reason I run so many poule d'eau. Even the specks will sometimes finish to them, instead of their own decoys.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Rick wrote:
johnc wrote:
old Cajun hunter story---several "coot" decoys with just 3 pintails----he killed the hell out of ducks

The first over-60 Cajun I hunted with probably had a 100 or so poule d'eau decoys rafted in his pond and would throw 6 or 8 duck decoys out between them and his bateau blind. And we did well enough over them that when Doug bought out Goose Lake Lodge's decoys when they lost their marsh another guide and I took all the poule d'eaus for a similar rig in what we called the "little marsh". Limited every morning of that first split except one when folks bailed early to get to the airport and nearly as well the second (this wasn't yesterday). At season's end we kept those poule d'eau dekes separated from the camp's ducks - which Doug interpreted as not being used, and he hauled them to the dump.

Anyway, there's a reason I run so many poule d'eau. Even the specks will sometimes finish to them, instead of their own decoys.
Did they burn your waders too? Showed up one day after running for groceries...gee that smells weird whatcha cookin'.
All the waders hanging in the garage got burnt. It's something you never forget. They were pretty shocked when I pulled out a spare pair. It was NOT an accident that they burned them. I really wish I could have taken the hint but that requires some assuming. Never assume.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:47 pm

johnc wrote:
Rick wrote:
johnc wrote:...decoys are down on my list of importance but what do I know

Thought you were running a big spread.

I am,but I still view a flight,concealment,and calling above decoy quality----we been running a big spread for years,nothing new there

been under a better high goose flight for many years now---for the majority of that time watching them go by---the variable that has changed---being able to call them from a non-interested distance--and seeing the same scenario with enough reps to establish the read---the calling is a game changer---our records show it

from my great grandfather's time to 2006---30 to 50 geese a year --- and 50 was viewed as excellent,,,30 we thought we were having a good year

2006 too present---steady increase in goose harvest to now well over 200---mainly for two people,max three

same farm,same blinds,same concealment---I have been covering the blind with the same grass since I was in my teens and I am now 42 ,basically only adding more full body blues and snows(which isn't supposed to work)---what changed---the calling improved and me and Dad got older and we are now surrounded by crawfish ponds---it's in the calling

Understand you're a world class caller, just struck me as funny to see a big spread guy downplaying it.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:08 pm

That would be my point.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:43 pm

That tree house blind must have been built by the same exact people that built the one in that slough. It's identical . There's a steep dog ramp on the right end? You climb up on boards nailed to the tree?
Can't be the same blind. There ain't a snowballs chance in hell to shoot specks there.(or is there?)
Was lucky to get ducks on the water.

Now if that IS the same blind TRY AND KEEP ME OUT OF IT. Can paddle to it in a cheap kayak. :mrgreen:
The video I made got deleted by youtube along with most of my Arkansas videos or I'd show you the tree house.
Apparently them videos only stay online a few years then get dumped. Rats my bayou meto boatride one was tits.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:32 am

aunt betty wrote:That tree house blind must have been built by the same exact people that built the one in that slough. It's identical .

Sure made me think of the one in the video you've posted here.

(Also reminded me of AJ's "Arkansas tuned" speck call.)
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Driving around in some of the prettiest duck country there is. Image

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Hunter, AR was as Far East as we went, rest of project is in the hills

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:57 pm

We about to eat que in Russellville

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Arkansas? Food? The best steaks I ever bought were purchased in Harrisburg at the "Food Giant" combination hardware, groceries, and sporting goods. Oh how I wish they had one here. Their "dollar aisle" is fantastic.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Am also surprised with some not putting higher emphasis on decoy quality. On a given day in the blind there are things in your control and and not. You can't control the weather or when and if the birds fly, but you can control what they see on approach, with respect to your concealment and your decoys. These two factors I'd call your "controls" when birds come cruising by, along with calling surely. But even on a bad note on a call, those dekes will still be there, as good or as sorry and weathered as they might be.

Lots kill birds over dekes with very little, and sometimes none, calling. The dekes are doing the work; very seldom are hunters able to coax birds to a hole without dekes relying on calling alone. Surely some do here and there, but few and far between. Would rather the dekes be doing work to attract/sell birds on the setup when I'm taking a snack break or just not seeing them approach from the back side. Will put calls to work as needed thereafter
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Darren 2017-2018