Regular season log

Re: Regular season log

Postby Deltaman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 am

Damn fine mount John!!!! Love to see them in that springing position :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:37 am

johnc wrote:Date:1/18/18

Time:afternoon

Cloud Cover:clear

Wind: NNE LIGHT

Temperature:Cold but warming

Moon phase:

Special Notes: went to rearrange goose decoys for weekend as wind going to South and add fresh grass to hide late season wise****water barely over boot foot**** lowered overflow more

*********trying to keep us killing Specks thus the water adjustement*********

Waterfowl Activity:excellent goose flight for afternoon

blind---heavily grassed ,now flatter to match flattened levee grass----flattened more to match levee---new clumps to pull partially overhead when John working geese

Waterfowl Responsiveness: specks were a bitch at first---what worked sunday as in high cluck was totally ineffective and i took note---switched to nothing but yodels and did much better

mallards---i called in from way up even with the snow decoys out---new birds---came in well---Lares hybrid---1.390 reed---yes they make one that long

Hunters:john

Guns:BROWNING GOLD 10

Malfunctions: Decoys a mess but now fixed again after heavy North wind

Dog(s):

Special Equipment:

Curses:

Kudos:

Birds By Species:2 Specks,2 greenheads---****keeping one to mount******** rides in truck

IMG_2264.JPG
IMG_2263.JPG

Great afternoon hunt :thumbsup: I am curious, are there any tell tale feather/color indicators between male and female Specks? Seems like they all look the same in pics, but imagine that is because most are laying on their back.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:24 am

If you really gotta know the sex of a bird...ever see a duck pecker?
The "duck dicks" secret group in facebook used a picture of one as their flag for a while.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:23 pm

"what I think is this---getting paired up this time of year and when you kill a pair---9/10 times one will have noticeably shorter beak and shorter in overall length---this is a male /female indicator I believe"

Ahh, gotcha John, Thanks! I wasn't sure, don't see enough of them to notice, and have to depend on pics from folks like you. Also, have always been told that snows and blues are flying carp, but the Speck......... is a flying ribeye in the sky. Wish we had more geese here, as we rarely see many snows and blues, and specks are an anomaly. The local Canadians are the only geese we frequently see, and they are local residents. We kill a few every year, and I would've thought they were 18-20 lbs, but after seeing one of the threads regarding same, weighed a few of them, and found that most of ours are 12-14 lbs. What is the average weight of a Speck?
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:55 pm

John, do you know of anyone that would like to purchase (12) fully flocked, adjustable head GHG speck decoys? I have them in a 12 slot carry bag. They're in really good condition, and have always had socks covering the heads in storage. I don't have a place to use them and I'd hate to see them just wither away.

Just asking this makes me sad....
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:01 pm

There's a kid named Tanner (Sitzer) Bradley in Waldenburg, Arkansas that wants them decoys. His uncle is Tim Bradley.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm

DComeaux wrote:John, do you know of anyone that would like to purchase (12) fully flocked, adjustable head GHG speck decoys? I have them in a 12 slot carry bag. They're in really good condition, and have always had socks covering the heads in storage. I don't have a place to use them and I'd hate to see them just wither away.

Just asking this makes me sad....

I’ll buy them....maybe later this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:19 pm

If you have someone that wants them immediately, go ahead and sell. I was planning to go to painted GHG specks for future but would buy FFD’s if I found a good deal.

Ericdc

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:58 pm

johnc wrote:As far as the snows and blues for table fare---I really like to eat them,but I like the stronger taste---some folks don't prefer that

Yes specks are excellent,milder "wildness" taste---really good no matter how prepared---in my opinion

as far as the weight---I have had really big ones close to 8 lbs,but most 5.5 to 7 lb range

Good Info, Thanks John!!!!!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:41 pm

This is the same decoys I have. They have been discontinued and now they're made all one piece, painted, flocked, and then repainted.
I don't think the new ones have the depth or texture as these, but I've only seen pictures of the new style.

3282711.jpg

I might change my mind if I keep looking at em.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Saw the Facebook pics and was anticipating the log post. I know this is a hunt you are very proud of, and all your hard work definitely paid off with that bag.

Would love to be in a blind sometime and watch someone call and decoy blues.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:23 am

Holy moly. Bet dad's a happy camper. (Well, unless he got stuck with the cleaning.) Almost never see hunts like that these days.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:32 am

WOW........What a finish!!!!!!! Good stuff John, and fitting to see your attendance to detail, that helped make it happen :beer:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:37 pm

What a great solo hunt.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:04 am

By this point I'm more surprised by no pintail in the mix than your continued goose success. Back when we were hunting something besides crawfish ponds, pintails were usually thick in puddle water left when we drained the fields for geese. Always figured we'd do best for everything but spoons and jacks if we could manage to keep it like that.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to johnc 2017-2018