dark day sounds

Re: dark day sounds

Postby DComeaux » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 pm

That's what I want and can't really get with my current set up.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:32 am

Very nice, indeed.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:44 am

Guess I could add that I find the notion of "dark day," as opposed to bright day, sounds an interesting one. Perhaps largely because it's not something I've noticed or thought to pay attention to until you brought it up a while back. Have long just taken my cues from what the birds were or weren't doing without much consideration to why or the weather when whatever I'm fishing with does or doesn't draw reaction.

Perhaps I'll have the presence of mind to keep that sort of weather eye out next season.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Suggestions on working on the grunt/growl? Could do it better with my RNT to the point where I had it as a tool in the field, but not confident in it on the Riceland enough yet to put it in front of live gander.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Darren wrote:Suggestions on working on the grunt/growl? Could do it better with my RNT to the point where I had it as a tool in the field, but not confident in it on the Riceland enough yet to put it in front of live gander.

That's where I'm at. Not knowing where, or on what components to nip and tuck, and really not wanting the need to buy another due to my screw up.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:52 pm

That growl noise is easy once you figure it out.
Made up a new verb to describe what you're trying to describe.
You "kazoo" the call.

Most kids never had a kazoo but that's exactly what "voicing" thru a call is. imo
Here's what a kazoo is for you younger guys.
You get them at a joke store or one that sells costumes and party things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazoo

Kazooing a call is a no-no in general is what I was always told but for every rule there is an exception.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:44 am

Riceland 3/4 ..can't get down and dirty..... Sanding?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 am

Dave, not to take anything away from John's help, but you're close enough to Hayes to set a date to sit with Bill or James and work things out one on one.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:38 am

johnc wrote:James and Bill split up---

Shows you how in touch I've been. Knew the arrangement was always a bit sketchy for reasons best not discussed, but not that it had ended.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 am

johnc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Riceland 3/4 ..can't get down and dirty..... Sanding?

not saying they can't,,,saying in my opinion the 3/4 is harder to achieve big low end scratch then the 5/8 model,,,don't go saying John Chiasson says a Riceland 3/4 cant scratch---that's NOT what I am saying,,,just may need to be tuned differently or customized to match you

James and Bill split up---But a call maker will always be able to help --- there is no general information out there to help with this---but I can guarantee either of these guys will help you one on one

In fact,the above information I gave goes well beyond what you can find anywhere,people are extremely private with their information and I totally understand why---it takes years of work to attain these sounds

I am often too open with information---but I have lived the journey and know the struggle so I try to help

Usually people are very appreciative,but there are always those that choose to do their own thing or think they already know what they need to do---that's fine too

I talked to Bill this morning. I'll be running to Hayes in the near future.
DComeaux

Return to johnc 2017-2018