ideal field prep for us

Re: ideal field prep for us

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:31 am

Looks about as right as can be to me.

The great rub with an ideal (barely more than puddled) flood is that most guys can't both take water off and put it on to replace evaporation. Often neither these days. But it sure is nice when you can.

I'm one who'd rather hunt literal puddles for ducks, as well as geese, than a spoon flood. And have had some super duck seasons in "goose blinds" the camp deemed too expensive to flood but I wasn't too lazy to do the shovel work it took to hold a skosh of rain water over large acreages around them. (Always best to avoid the suspicion associated with small patches of flooded ag land.) On leases with limited pumping, I was inclined to live with too much water on the uphill side of the blind's levee and use it as a reservoir to keep the low side as close to "right" (think "clods and stick-ups") as circumstance allowed.

But the overwhelming majority of our renters cry over anything less than the foot of water spoons seem to find ideal.

John, I'm going to have to pay more attention to that mallard and blue thing you've been mentioning. Know some pintails seem drawn by bodies of blues and hang near, if not with, them, but I can also recall a couple exceptionally sweet mallard and mottled shoots (behind Tim Litel's new Thornwell camp) over rags, as well as odds and ends of them elsewhere during my mostly white-spread years. Maybe just so call responsive, they couldn't resist a look despite not wanting to put up with mass competition from blues while feeding.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 am

Really like those depths. Looks a lot like what Erik's fields looked like when we were going with him

DSC01620.JPG

DSC01633.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:52 am

Bingo. And if you want to really see geese, do that in a dry year.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:30 am

At $5/speck (picked and waxed like it came from a store) how many specks would one have to clean to sit in that field for one morning?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 am

aunt betty wrote:At $5/speck (picked and waxed like it came from a store) how many specks would one have to clean to sit in that field for one morning?

All of them, and then some.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:22 am

Here ya go, AB: http://www.calcasieucharters.com/hunting/

Says Erik's getting $300 per, with a two person minimum.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:32 am

Rick wrote:Here ya go, AB: http://www.calcasieucharters.com/hunting/

Says Erik's getting $300 per, with a two person minimum.

Yea it used to be something like $350 for overnight with meals and the hunt, something like $225 for drive-up. We had to give it up. Had some great hunts when weather was right, but like rice most anywhere, can be awfully tough when weather less than ideal. Marsh tends to be a little more consistent, even when weather not ideal
Darren

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 am

johnc wrote:Erik Rue is known for putting people on good speck hunts,and I am sure his guides are well versed.

Most of the young hot rod class of 20 year olds call way too much at way the wrong time too call too much—-they miss the read on when to go to toned down,finish with spacing,or treating the birds like reeling in a stray bass on a white perch rig

I like to run the call no doubt,but you got to use ur brain too I guess is what I am getting at

Jake Longenbaugh is who I always went with, went something like 2006 to 2010 with Erik's outfit.

He's got this one printed in his lodge and shows up a lot on marketing material. Few early morning pintails haha

Capture.JPG

We had some big hunts, this one in 2008 I believe
DSC01659.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Last edited by Darren on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:43 am

Tough business.
40% is what you probably should be tipping.
When it was $50 per day per gun there was a twenty dollar tip expected. Do the math.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to johnc 2017-2018