2018 speck

Re: 2018 speck

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:20 am

Lake Arthur park's been missing that one.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:08 am

johnc wrote:
june 3 2018.mp3

did this today also

IMG_0041.jpg

Good-Looking pose :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:29 am

They're all specks in the distance at some point.
Brings up the fact that I have to admit that at one time I was a "shoot it then ID it" kind of waterfowler. I bought a couple ID books and got better where I know what I'm shooting now except for all the phases of snow geese.
Of course nobody else is, was, or would admit it.

HOWEVER: I've been in ten-man blinds where everyone in the blind was unsure of what "that one" was.
Since nobody ever shoots prior to identification except me I guess all mystery ducks are mine. :mrgreen:
The duck that gets misidentified the most in my experience is the hen pintail. You'd think the blue bill would scream pintail at every waterfowler ever...but it don't.

Nice looking speck there John.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am

aunt betty wrote:The duck that gets misidentified the most in my experience is the hen pintail.

First pintail I ever got, I didn't know it until my dog handed it too me. I only worry about duck ID until I'm bumping up against a limit. If in doubt, just shoot one. There are no ducks we will ever see that you can't shoot one.

Late season we have to worry about black ducks mixed in with mallards. First black I got in Illinois, I thought it was a hen mallard. Although I did positively ID it in the air. It was dead and falling, but still in the air :thumbsup: :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:10 am

Going to be hard to beat that ‘17 model you ran in gueydan last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:20 pm

johnc wrote:
Ericdc wrote:Going to be hard to beat that ‘17 model you ran in gueydan last year.

That call was tuned for that room----venue acoustics greatly affect perceived sound----big deal in calling people

I had my feet down, .

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:52 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
aunt betty wrote:The duck that gets misidentified the most in my experience is the hen pintail.

First pintail I ever got, I didn't know it until my dog handed it too me. I only worry about duck ID until I'm bumping up against a limit. If in doubt, just shoot one. There are no ducks we will ever see that you can't shoot one.

Late season we have to worry about black ducks mixed in with mallards. First black I got in Illinois, I thought it was a hen mallard. Although I did positively ID it in the air. It was dead and falling, but still in the air :thumbsup: :lol:

When you're scratching your head looking at a hen mallard that has a drake's bill...it's a black duck. (every time)
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:39 am

johnc wrote:i am getting old and have had to start logging notes in a book on my daily call practice because I FORGET what i did to get WHAT SOUND

species.mp3

You're not really old until you start forgetting where you left your notes. Really like that teal hen.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:46 am

aunt betty wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

When you're scratching your head looking at a hen mallard that has a drake's bill...it's a black duck. (every time)

Used to struggle to tell flying hen pintails from flying hen gadwall in early light until an observant friend told me "Grays have boobs." And he was right, they generally do look thicker where neck meets chest.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:40 am

aunt betty wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I have no problem ID'ing them in hand. Usually no problem in flight with good light either. Mixed in with mallards, backlit or when the light is not good, it can be tricky. Black ducks are a lot more common in the eastern flyway where I started hunting. About 5,000 landed in a field by where we were goose hunting one year after duck season had closed.

That one was just funny. We were froze out and I was hunting on top of the ice with field goose decoys. Hadn't seen a single duck the day before. My wife had actually told me she wanted duck for the duck white chili I had been making. I saw one single duck up high to the north. Called to it. It come down and circled up high, maybe 35 yards or so up. With no decoys and on the ice, that was probably the best I was going to get. I thought it was a hen mallard. I shot it. As soon as it started to tumble, I knew it was a black duck. It hit the ice so hard, it popped it skin open.

The other funny thing at that spot when I hunted it in the winter. I didn't hunt from the blind, but down the ridge a bit when I wasn't 100% sure of the ice. That way I was setting up over shallow water if I fell through. This meant my dog had to go down over a pretty nasty part of the bank. First goose I shot, the dog went down over the bank. But instead of turning around and coming back, the dog went to the left. I'm scratching my head going what the hell is the dog doing. She went down the ice to the boat blind stairs 30 yards further down the bank, came up the bank that way and out the trail. :lol: She decided fuck that, I'm taking the easy way back. :lol: She did the same with that black duck. They're a little too smart sometimes.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:07 am

SpinnerMan wrote:My wife had actually told me she wanted duck for the duck white chili I had been making.

Tried venison fajitas last night: just okay. Nothing I've tried to date holds up to the Lawry's seasoning I use nearly so well as blue/snow goose meat.

Re: Pup using the steps, they're a lot smarter than most people.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:22 am

Kind of figured you for a "Slap Ya Mama" spice user. When I was in J-town the first time I was looking for that "family home-cooking" restaurant and found one that sounded great UNTIL I read the reviews.
People kept commenting on how they put Slap Ya Mama on everything they serve so I passed.
Tried it. It's not my thing.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:39 pm

No.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:05 am

That's a mighty rare one, but just as ugly as all but one other I've seen of its kind. And even that more piebald one was far from pretty to my eye. Sort of the young blue or ugly duckling (that never grows up) of hybrids.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Ronquest called this afternoon to see if I'd judge an upcoming speck contest at Mack's Prairie Wings. But the contestants therein dodged a bullet, as I thanked him for asking and bowed out as unqualified to judge anyone's speck contest chops.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:18 pm

That's pretty cool. You listen to the real thing everyday, all winter long. I know a contest calling is different than hunting, but what are the things judges listen for?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:38 am

DComeaux wrote:...what are the things judges listen for?

I don't know. Know most of it sounds more like stylized specks than real specks to my ear, and that part of it has been evolving since the "loudest and longest runs" contests of Mervis' time. Understand contestants are trying to demonstrate what all they can do with the call, but not what they're expecting judges to be impressed by and have worked so hard to perfect.
Rick

Return to johnc 2017-2018