Seeing Black and Red

Seeing Black and Red

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:20 am

Got a chance to chase Blackfish (tripletail), last Thursday, and had a little luck. Fished with one of my older brothers (he just retired.......that lucky SOB), from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. Hooked 9, boated 7, but only kept 2. Seems to be a lot of jr's in the mix, that were 16-18", and hopefully, they make it thru the season. Here is a pic of the largest, right at 18 lbs:

Saturday, my wife and I got an invite to fish in the gulf, and caught some nice Red Snapper. Had the green egg hot and fillets in aluminum foil boats within 2 hours of returning. Dammit man, they eat so good!!!! Coastal living.............born, bred, and one day dead..........I'm not leaving!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Seeing Black and Red

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Very cool! Have yet to target tripletail but usually have good many of them in Lake Borgne in summer. This year likely off due to spillway water influx.
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Always kept an unweighted Bass Assassin rigged for incidental triple tail when in Gulf but seldom targeted them specifically unless it was just Sweet Chereaux and I. They're a good answer to the old question of what would a ten pound bluegill fight like - and a table favorite at our house.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:00 am

Rick, we used to have a local bar on our causeway, and the owner mounted a tripletail of about 10 lbs, and had the taxidermist paint it like a bull bream. Talk about a conversation starter :lol: The bar has since been closed and torn down, but I have been very tempted to do the same thing for a house mount.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 am

During my Capt. Rick phase, I'd sometimes work straight from the camp, and on one such trip we returned with huge, for here, 19lb tripletail that prompted me to jokingly tell an onlooker that we got blown off the Gulf but caught that sweet perch (Louisiana bream) in the marsh. Wasn't long at all before the camp was a-buzz over our certain "world record".
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Rick wrote:During my Capt. Rick phase, I'd sometimes work straight from the camp, and on one such trip we returned with huge, for here, 19lb tripletail that prompted me to jokingly tell an onlooker that we got blown off the Gulf but caught that sweet perch (Louisiana bream) in the marsh. Wasn't long at all before the camp was a-buzz over our certain "world record".

The power of suggestion...........funny as shet Rick :lol:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Return to Fishing Forum