best ice fishing rods & reels

best ice fishing rods & reels

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:10 pm

opinions? Ive run my st croixs to the max. The poles are holding up well, the reels are getting a bit grindy. Anyone got favorite brands for ice gear? Ive entered the marketplace for a few combos.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Re: best ice fishing rods & reels

Postby Fowlplay » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:13 pm

we dont get much ice in GA so i cant help ya.

but whatsup?
Fowlplay

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 pm

b.hud wrote:we dont get much ice in GA so i cant help ya.

but whatsup?

Speak of the devil, I got a quick question for ya. Have you ever crimpled up a grebe, yellowleg, blue jay etc by accident at first light and brought it to the clinic to try to repair it?
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Fowlplay » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:

but whatsup?

Speak of the devil, I got a quick question for ya. Have you ever crimpled up a grebe, yellowleg, blue jay etc by accident at first light and brought it to the clinic to try to repair it?

cant say i have, but i did accidentally run over the neighbors cat this afternoon. came right out of no where. i debated on stopping to tell them but didnt. i wasnt sure how mad they would be and i had no weapon. they have quite a few anyways
Fowlplay

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm

but whatsup?

Had a good late season hunt at cayuga lake near ithaca ny to close out my waterfowl season. bagged quite a few bunnies, skirls, and grouse on a few opportune outings. Perfect fresh snow cover on a piece of private land my buddy has permisssion to hunt that ive dreamt of going on was a real standout. Got skunked on wally eyes but just hit the ice recently for some bluegills (bluebies) and perch (8-10" are jumbos, 10"+ are jammies) for a huge feed for my buds and enough left over for the one neighbor I got.

You get any kill shots lately outside the clinic?
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm

b.hud wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:

but whatsup?

cant say i have, but i did accidentally run over the neighbors cat this afternoon. came right out of no where. i debated on stopping to tell them but didnt. i wasnt sure how mad they would be and i had no weapon. they have quite a few anyways

You kill it? It is illegal to not stop and tell the owner in ny.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Fowlplay » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:

but whatsup?

Had a good late season hunt at cayuga lake near ithaca ny to close out my waterfowl season. bagged quite a few bunnies, skirls, and grouse on a few opportune outings. Perfect fresh snow cover on a piece of private land my buddy has permisssion to hunt that ive dreamt of going on was a real standout. Got skunked on wally eyes but just hit the ice recently for some bluegills (bluebies) and perch (8-10" are jumbos, 10"+ are jammies) for a huge feed for my buds and enough left over for the one neighbor I got.

lately, not really, havent been deer hunting in over a month. ever since i hunted in arky land, i dont really feel like going out and getting skunked by these GA birds, normal spots just arent producing.

yea i killed the cat. didnt even twitch
Fowlplay

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:31 pm

b.hud wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:

but whatsup?

lately, not really, havent been deer hunting in over a month. ever since i hunted in arky land, i dont really feel like going out and getting skunked by these GA birds, normal spots just arent producing.

You see good numbers in arky? Solid hunts or just time the migration a lil off this year? Make sure your license plate didnt fall off near the cat. :thumbsup:
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Fowlplay » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
b.hud wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:

but whatsup?

You see good numbers in arky? Solid hunts or just time the migration a lil off this year? Make sure your license plate didnt fall off near the cat. :thumbsup:

according to my cousins who i hunted with numbers werent that good. but hell i have fun seeing 3-400 ducks at lst. we only killed a handfull each day but still did better than we do at home. i havent checked to make sure it stayed on but that would really blow if it came off. :o
Fowlplay

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Ice fishing poles aren't worth the money. I get whatever is the cheapest full combo. I also hold the line with my finger, I don't just rely on the tip to twitch

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Goldfish wrote:Ice fishing poles aren't worth the money. I get whatever is the cheapest full combo. I also hold the line with my finger, I don't just rely on the tip to twitch

sent from a phancy fone

I hear ya gold. I think that is how I feel set up this time around HT gear or something. It will hurt my brain not buying a quality reel though. Maybe I will buy a cheapy rod and a nice reel. I like my dads fenwick reel. The st croix ice reel was quite gimicky. The rods are nice though.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 pm

I have a Gregg Austin custom walleye rod that is pretty sweet. I like pfleuger reels.
Bulldog0156

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:I have a Gregg Austin custom walleye rod that is pretty sweet. I like pfleuger reels.

Never heard of gregg austin, but will google in a minute. And I meant Pfleuger instead of fenwick, oops.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby capt1972 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 pm

why not just add a cleat on the rod instead of the reel to wind the line on?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
Bulldog0156 wrote:I have a Gregg Austin custom walleye rod that is pretty sweet. I like pfleuger reels.

Never heard of gregg austin, but will google in a minute. And I meant Pfleuger instead of fenwick, oops.

Austin Custom rods. He's based out of SE MI. Quality rods without the high dollar price, and they're glass so they don't break easy like carbon rods.
Bulldog0156

Postby jehler » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 pm

capt1972 wrote:why not just add a cleat on the rod instead of the reel to wind the line on?

Cause lakes up here get deep
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:40 pm

jehler wrote:
capt1972 wrote:why not just add a cleat on the rod instead of the reel to wind the line on?

They be great lakes
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:15 am

Bulldog0156 wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:

Austin Custom rods. He's based out of SE MI. Quality rods without the high dollar price, and they're glass so they don't break easy like carbon rods.

Heaters do a number to a rod no matter what it's made of

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Goldfish wrote:
Bulldog0156 wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:

Heaters do a number to a rod no matter what it's made of

sent from a phancy fone

What the poop you talking about Gold? I have a heater in my shack at all times and have never seen an eyelit come unglued and fall off or what else could fail a rod. I dont like your cheap rod theory anymore broseph.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 am

Touch your rod to the sunflower heater and see what it does. Only did that once, but I've got the line on it a couple times.

Plus when you are drinking (which you aren't ice fishing right if you are not), shit happens. Usually it's your friends that do it too.

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:21 am

jehler wrote:

A few years back when grand traverse bay froze, we fished out of Yuba a mile and a half out, 375ft of water for whitefish. Bummer feeling when you realized you only wound 350ft of line and have to add another 30 just to hit bottom. Yeah, i dont think im gonna wind that much line around a cleat!
BrewGUN

Postby jehler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:57 am

BrewGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:

A few years back when grand traverse bay froze, we fished out of Yuba a mile and a half out, 375ft of water for whitefish. Bummer feeling when you realized you only wound 350ft of line and have to add another 30 just to hit bottom. Yeah, i dont think im gonna wind that much line around a cleat!

You didn't catch anything
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 am

jehler wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:

Why ya gotta be such a Debbie downer there captain negative?
BrewGUN

Postby jehler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 am

BrewGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:

Why ya gotta be such a Debbie downer there captain negative?

How in the hell did you think you would see a bite in 375 feet of water!
And you can just call me sir
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:58 am

No seeing the bite, feeling it with spiderwire, your old arthritic hands can't do that anymore.
I'll call you a lot of things but sir ain't one of them! :o
BrewGUN

Postby jehler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:59 am

BrewGUN wrote:No seeing the bite, feeling it with spiderwire,

and how'd that work out for ya mr knowitall?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:05 am

jehler wrote:

Pretty good actually, between Jeff B and Picasso. We ended up with close to 25 fish that year.
BrewGUN

Postby jehler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:15 am

BrewGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:

Pretty good actually, between Jeff B and Picasso. We ended up with close to 25 fish that year.

when ya came back to shore a little. i miss fishing the bay on ice
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am

Let's take the boat out then, I'm sure jr would be down for it.
BrewGUN

Postby jehler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:28 am

BrewGUN wrote:Let's take the boat out then, I'm sure jr would be down for it.

we were going to longline saturday vbut the damned wind
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Next

Return to Fishing Forum