Running walleye on ice

Re: Running walleye on ice

Postby bill herian » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 am

assateague wrote:Shit like this is ridiculous

You should see it on a Saturday :D
bill herian

Postby assateague » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 am

I guess if I ever went through, I could build a raft in about 27 seconds out of all the Leinie's bottles floating around.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Shoot, all those trucks just mean the fish are biting, obviously :lol:
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 am

Just found this thread, I don't get out of the HH much :?

I run standard Mason braided tip-up line to a barrel swivel, then 4-6 feet of either 6 or 10 pound mono to a trebel hook. I actually prefer the mason line over the rest I have seen because I feel it has a little more stretch when it soaks up water which comes in handy when you hook a big one. Run a single big split shot about 18" up from the hook, and a 5-8" sucker minnow on the hook. I may get less flags, but I am a firm believer in big baits due to the fact that in MI the size limit on walleyes is 15" or bigger. I rarely have throwbacks on my tip-ups. I almost always catch more fish jigging than on tip ups, and don't want to be fucking with undersize fish on tip ups during prime time. Another key I feel is that I run my baits up higher than most other fishermen, anywhere from 3-10' off bottom depending on what type of structure I am fishing.

Now for a few observations.

Get rid of the heavy leaders and those damn spinner blades on your hooks! You've been hoodwinked by dumbass outdoor writers looking for anything to write about to make them seem innovative!

If you catch more pike than walleyes when walleye fishing, then you are fishing in the wrong spot for walleyes. It's as simple as that. I rarely catch pike when walleye fishing, and when I do they tend to be very large.

Use lighter line, walleyes don't have the same type of teeth as pike. Pike teeth are designed to slash and shred their prey (razorblades) while walleye teeth are designed to catch and hold prey until they can swallow it whole (hooked inward with only the tip being sharp). Their mouths highly evolved to work like a vacuum and suck food in very quickly. I have never had a walleye break my line due to their teeth. Any time my line has ever broken on a walleye it has been due to a weak knot or damaged line. Lighter line will get you more bites. I have been out on the boat during the summer and watched my friend pull a limit of walleyes in 30 minutes while I struggled to get a bite. The only difference in our set ups was the line, he was using 4 pound and I was using 10.

Don't have some ridiculous hook set. If your hooks are sharp a steady pressure is all you need to sink the hooks in. When I determine it is time to set the hook, I just start pulling with no unnecessary jerking of the line. My thought on this is the fish feel the pulling pressure against them and think the bait is trying to escape so they swim against the pressure with a closed mouth so the bait can't escape. I have no proof that this is true, but I rarely loose fish.

That's all I've got.
Bulldog0156

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Proper run down,thanks. :thumbsup: Couldn't agree more on downsizing line dia where possible. got two this sunday fishing perch by accident fishing a drop down rig baited with staggered fatheads on baitholders. Thats a great pt about where pike cruise versus walleye. I think theres a bit of significant overlap in chaumont bay but your still very much right.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Use to run my boats lowrance off a hockey stick for the transducer while ice fishing.titty internal gps color gig..i would have gone through a couple grand of motorcycles batteries if i would have stuck with it. i understand flashers are noisy and thats irritating, but i wont leave home without for walleye. ive caught fish in in 20 over 60 so many times I just involuntarily set the hook thinking about it and spilled my beer everywhere.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:Use to run my boats lowrance off a hockey stick for the transducer while ice fishing.titty internal gps color gig..i would have gone through a couple grand of motorcycles batteries if i would have stuck with it. i understand flashers are noisy and thats irritating, but i wont leave home without for walleye. ive caught fish in in 20 over 60 so many times I just involuntarily set the hook thinking about it and spilled my beer everywhere.

Still good ice on Chaumont? This weather is ruining all of my fishing, just like last year. Thinking about just taking the boat out if it keeps up.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:Use to run my boats lowrance off a hockey stick for the transducer while ice fishing.titty internal gps color gig..i would have gone through a couple grand of motorcycles batteries if i would have stuck with it. i understand flashers are noisy and thats irritating, but i wont leave home without for walleye. ive caught fish in in 20 over 60 so many times I just involuntarily set the hook thinking about it and spilled my beer everywhere.

Still good ice on Chaumont? This weather is ruining all of my fishing, just like last year. Thinking about just taking the boat out if it keeps up.

this rain was needed badly. get rid of the snow i almost stroked out on pulling the two man. ice is fine. send it off long pt.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

this rain was needed badly. get rid of the snow i almost stroked out on pulling the two man. ice is fine. send it off long pt.

Even with this damn wind? St Lawrence just went from 7 inches to damn near open in one day. I can't see myself going this weekend unless we get cold temps. Hopefully can get this motor running.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Even with this damn wind? St Lawrence just went from 7 inches to damn near open in one day. I can't see myself going this weekend unless we get cold temps. Hopefully can get this motor running.

dont go off long point. danger. very thin ice (being serious). you would fall through and pm wtn10.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby bill herian » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:25 am

Bulldog0156 wrote:Don't have some ridiculous hook set. If your hooks are sharp a steady pressure is all you need to sink the hooks in. When I determine it is time to set the hook, I just start pulling with no unnecessary jerking of the line. My thought on this is the fish feel the pulling pressure against them and think the bait is trying to escape so they swim against the pressure with a closed mouth so the bait can't escape. I have no proof that this is true, but I rarely loose fish.

This is my number one pet peeve in ice fishing. Other than guys who don't like cigars in the shack.

I have freinds that run up to the tip up, pull it out, and yank that line like they are pull starting a weedeater. On the off chance they hook up (which only happens on small fish, because tackle breaks or mouth parts break if its a big fish) they do a violent hand over hand, I'm certian they never even feel the fish.

I never even set the hook. If you are using the right tackle, and yo gave the fish enough time to take the bait, you don't need to. On tip ups that is.
bill herian

Postby jehler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:41 am

I save my huge hook sets for salmon trolling, as a pro I set the hook three times after a downrigger release to make sure it's set
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby bill herian » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:50 am

jehler wrote:I save my huge hook sets for salmon trolling, as a pro I set the hook three times after a downrigger release to make sure it's set

Gotta have great calves for that. ;) Proper hook set uses the whole body.
bill herian

Postby jehler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 am

bill herian wrote:
jehler wrote:I save my huge hook sets for salmon trolling, as a pro I set the hook three times after a downrigger release to make sure it's set

Oh hell ya, need a clear deck behind you, reel down fast and then a three step backwards lifting lunge....
Have actually seen that while fishing lol
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:59 am

Reminds me of these guys here tuna fishing. Even though they're fishing with circle hooks.
assateague

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:48 am

jehler wrote:
bill herian wrote:

Oh hell ya, need a clear deck behind you, reel down fast and then a three step backwards lifting lunge....
Have actually seen that while fishing lol

I watched a guy get pulled in while fishing goliath grouper in Florida. It was awesome! He was able to pass the rod to the guide and they ended up landing the fish.
Bulldog0156

Postby Mornin Beef » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks for the tips.

Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:Thanks for the tips.

lol, you crack me up.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Previous

Return to Fishing Forum