Running walleye on ice

Re: Running walleye on ice

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:21 am

bill herian wrote:My walleye rigs are #15 flourocarbon with a small (I don't know hook numbers, but pretty small) treble or red single hook. The #15 is great for walleye and should hold a good pike if you play her out.

Now..

Would you chotchballs take the blades off your pike rigs? Bugs me when no end when guys do that. For pike I run #50 powerpro (#12 diameter) with a slightly larger treble. The hooks I use for pike are almost always smaller, often much smaller than what I see other guy using, and I hook more of them. I never use steel leaders either. They are tacky and dumb. Nothing eats through #50 Powerpro. Like Jehler said, enough split shot to sink the bait.

My tip ups are spooled with #50 dacron (the stuff the old J-Plug harnesses are made out of) because I'm an idiot. It's just what I grew up using and its easy on my delicate hands. It freezes and swells something awful but I probably wont ever go to anything else.

Around here, fishing for walleye/pike are one in the same. I just started using the blades on my rigs and as i said, I've seen no decrease in pike, but a large increase in walleye. Dumb not to use them IMO. I also use the #50 line on all of my tipups and a button just because thats what I'm used to.
Steel leaders are just insurance as ive seen line break. Been prroven time and time again that pike dont care whether you have steel, red, blue, hot pink, #50, #2 test hanging off your line. I dont use the massive bait a lot of people use either. I've found the medium pike bait works best on the no. 8 trebles i use, rather than those big ass suckers that are like 9" long.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:00 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:
jehler wrote:We tip up fish, as many as you can run cover from shallow to deep, big bait small hooks two foot off the bottom.

I don't use a graph.

Disclaimer, I am no pro and don't catch an assload of eyes but we do often out catch those around us

How you rig wally tip up? leader material especially?

I run a walleye rig on my tip ups. Haven't noticed a decrease in pike, but a much bigger increase in walleyes. Still don't catch very many..maybe 1 or 2 a day.

Eric, do you fish the tanks at bass pro shop?
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:15 am

jehler wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:
jehler wrote:We tip up fish, as many as you can run cover from shallow to deep, big bait small hooks two foot off the bottom.

I don't use a graph.

Disclaimer, I am no pro and don't catch an assload of eyes but we do often out catch those around us

8-10 pound floro maybe 4', 14 treble with just enough splitshot to sink the bait

Roger that. I got some 12 lb seaguar leftover I'm gunna use...use to use the heaviest fireline crystal cuz I was scared to drop a trophy musky or pike...but screw em, won't let them esox stifle my wally bite any longer.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 am

Mornin Beef wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:

I don't use a graph.

I run a walleye rig on my tip ups. Haven't noticed a decrease in pike, but a much bigger increase in walleyes. Still don't catch very many..maybe 1 or 2 a day.

Eric, do you fish the tanks at bass pro shop?

Don't hate because you can't catch fish.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 am

3legged_lab wrote:I don't have a clue what you guys are talking about but wanted to join in.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

Same here. I always thought ice fishing was just about drinking beer. That's all I did on the few occasions I tried it, but you guys have turned it into freaking rocket surgery.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am

The rocket surgery takes part before you hit the ice. Once out there, the liquid flows. Best part, you don't need ice to keep your drink cold.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:30 am

Goldfish wrote:The rocket surgery takes part before you hit the ice. Once out there, the liquid flows. Best part, you don't need ice to keep your drink cold.

sent from a phancy fone

No, you just need to drink it all before it freezes.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 am

What you are drinking isn't strong enough then?

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:28 am

Goldfish wrote:What you are drinking isn't strong enough then?

sent from a phancy fone

Beer only.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby JGUN » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 pm

jehler wrote:Just don't, but I have only fished for pike a handful of times, jgun does more often then me, what you use j?

Typically just run 10lb mono for both pike and walleye. Never had too many break off. Sometimes you just have to play them a little bit more. I even have a couple set up with 6lb that I use for perch yet I still catch pike on them.
JGUN

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm

JGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:Just don't, but I have only fished for pike a handful of times, jgun does more often then me, what you use j?

Typically just run 10lb mono for both pike and walleye. Never had too many break off. Sometimes you just have to play them a little bit more. I even have a couple set up with 6lb that I use for perch yet I still catch pike on them.

I don't know why pike break line so often for me while fishing with mono in the summer. Usually a pretty clean bite through, without much pulling. I've never had any trouble with steel no. 8 leaders, so I've never changed from it. No. 8 leaders are thinner that 50lb ice braid anyways.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Goldfish wrote:The rocket surgery takes part before you hit the ice. Once out there, the liquid flows. Best part, you don't need ice to keep your drink cold.

sent from a phancy fone

I have been out on lake mi and had a fifth of jack freeze up, little nippy that one
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:33 pm

jehler wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

I have been out on lake mi and had a fifth of jack freeze up, little nippy that one

How cold's it have to be to do that? Do you guys have permanent houses out on those lakes or are they all portables?
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Goldfish wrote:
jehler wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

How cold's it have to be to do that? Do you guys have permanent houses out on those lakes or are they all portables?

I typically walleye/pike fish in tournaments every weekend of the season while there is ice. With that, every weekend is in a new spot so we have a 10 man portable. Has a heater in it and a card table. I also have a 2 man deal for perch fishing but rarely ever use it. Only if it is super cold and windy. A lot of guys have built ones that they tow out, and get back at the end of the season, but I rarely fish the same spot more than twice.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby bill herian » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:I just started using the blades on my rigs and as i said, I've seen no decrease in pike, but a large increase in walleye.

Thats interesting. I have never seen a walleye caught on a steel leader (not that it couldnt happen) but around here i'd say it hurts your chances big time. Guys only use the blades for pike as well and it seems they never do as well.

I agree with the bait choice. I've caught the smallest pike in the world on big bait and some pretty darn nice on little minnows. I use 5-6 inch gold shiners or similarly sized suckers. Big bait is too expensive and a lot of hassle.
bill herian

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:02 pm

bill herian wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:I just started using the blades on my rigs and as i said, I've seen no decrease in pike, but a large increase in walleye.

Thats interesting. I have never seen a walleye caught on a steel leader (not that it couldnt happen) but around here i'd say it hurts your chances big time. Guys only use the blades for pike as well and it seems they never do as well.

I agree with the bait choice. I've caught the smallest pike in the world on big bait and some pretty darn nice on little minnows. I use 5-6 inch gold shiners or similarly sized suckers. Big bait is too expensive and a lot of hassle.

The steel leaders I use are thinner than 50# braid. The only reason I use them is because of pike. The blades seem to have no effect for me when it comes to pike. They just bite the same amount. Walleye on the other hand have been biting the blades a lot more often than before I had them.

If I could just go for walleye, without the chance of pike tearing my line up, I would ditch the leaders. Not because I think they deter the fish, but because they can be a hassle to rig.

5" shiners is what I use also. $5.50 a dozen vs. $10.50 a dozen for the large
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:04 pm

bill herian wrote:

yes agreed. Instead of blades i will fold over stickers that are made for salmon paddles on the line for pike about 2 feet above the bait. After I gave up on leaders for pike i tried that tieable leader material but it was the same diff. went to fireline crystal, then to super heavy flouro. Now im just gunna downsize all together and use thin flouro to get more flags...more breakoffs and more flags should mean more wallys.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:08 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
bill herian wrote:

yes agreed. Instead of blades i will fold over stickers that are made for salmon paddles on the line for pike about 2 feet above the bait. After I gave up on leaders for pike i tried that tieable leader material but it was the same diff. went to fireline crystal, then to super heavy flouro. Now im just gunna downsize all together and use thin flouro to get more flags...more breakoffs and more flags should mean more wallys.

Confused on the sticker thing?

Thin flouro just seems like it would piss me off. I've seen pike take off on a run and snap 50lb test if you don't give some line up quick enough. Light line is just asking for headaches.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby bill herian » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:The steel leaders I use are thinner than 50# braid.

#50 powerpro is the same diameter as most #12 mono. Thats thin steel.
bill herian

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Buddy just sent me this. Caught it just before dark. He's holding it out, but went around 10.5

YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby JGUN » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Buddy just sent me this. Caught it just before dark. He's holding it out, but went around 10.5

That's a hog! Nice fish.
JGUN

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 pm

JGUN wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Buddy just sent me this. Caught it just before dark. He's holding it out, but went around 10.5

That's a hog! Nice fish.

He catches more walleye throughout the year than anyone i know. Excellent fisher. He ice fishes at night too, but ive never been with him at night. Wonder how you fish tipups at night?

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Glow sticks.
assateague

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Goldfish wrote:
jehler wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

The first time I went up to Mille Lacs, I thought everyone out there was fucking insane. Cars and trucks parked all around the fish houses, some of them a story and a half, with a sleeping loft up top. There were road signs, for Pete's sake. Like a damn town. Over 100 feet of water. Bunch of lunatic drunks. I about had a stroke every time the ice popped and flooded the holes.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Lol..i caught that Dan. Hittin the bottle are we?

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:06 pm

My tapatalk is all fouled up tonight...I was in the DD forum and it posted here.

The app keeps opening the thread below the one I'm trying to open.

Apologies to anyone else that saw that.

:(
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 pm

assateague wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
jehler wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

The first time I went up to Mille Lacs, I thought everyone out there was fucking insane. Cars and trucks parked all around the fish houses, some of them a story and a half, with a sleeping loft up top. There were road signs, for Pete's sake. Like a damn town. Over 100 feet of water. Bunch of lunatic drunks. I about had a stroke every time the ice popped and flooded the holes.

That's a lie. That lake doesn't get to 100 ft, lol

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Felt like about 10,000, knowing all that was between me and it was a couple feet of ice. Eff that.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 pm

assateague wrote:Felt like about 10,000, knowing all that was between me and it was a couple feet of ice. Eff that.

So you are saying that you wouldn't want to go out on 2" for the first ice of the year?
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 pm

Shit like this is ridiculous

assateague

PreviousNext

Return to Fishing Forum