lets talk about burbots through the ice please

lets talk about burbots through the ice please

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:10 am

The few that I've caught were flukes. Does anyone target them? I need to conquer some burbots this year. I am planning a trip for them to oneida lake and really wish you lads could offer me some tips and tactics. Thank you oh so very much in advance.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Re: lets talk about burbots through the ice please

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:01 am

Just fish for walleye on the bottom. You'll catch them by accident.

Look up the Walker Eelpout Festival. Tons of people go there to drink, and a few go to catch them buggers. Seems all the ones that I've caught, have been with a minnow at the bottom or within 1 foot of it. Usually during the dark (dawn/dusk/at night).
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 am

A chunk of glow in the dark lead with a treble hook(Swedish pimple) with a chunk of shiner, bounce it on/around the bottom on drop offs. Like Goldie said, right at dark and couple hours after dark.
BrewGUN

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Sweet. I love the night bite. And this lake is loaded with walleye too. Yea gold I remember checking out that festival. Looks like craziness.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Burbot fishing should be posted under the bad ideas thread
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:25 pm

jehler wrote:Burbot fishing should be posted under the bad ideas thread

Your thinking bowfin.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 pm

x2
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:

Your thinking bowfin.

Bowfin are fun to shoot. Fight like a mother even with an arrow through em.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360175456.886928.jpg

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Goldfish wrote:

x2

Dammit gold, I told you already how to cook them so you can't decipher between it and lobster. I will take burbot over a walleye anyday of the year.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:34 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:

Your thinking bowfin.

Bowfin are fun to shoot. Fight like a mother even with an arrow through em.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360175456.886928.jpg

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

If you catch at the right time of the year I hear bowfin caviar is the tits. Google search bowfin caviar and look how expensive it is.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

x2

Dammit gold, I told you already how to cook them so you can't decipher between it and lobster. I will take burbot over a walleye anyday of the year.

And I told you I don't like lobster.
Goldfish

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:

Your thinking bowfin.

nope.... there is a story
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby bill herian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:35 pm

The couple I've caught have been low light or in the dark. Not a lot of opportunities around here unless you are fishing the big lake.

Most of them I've eaten have been ones we've picked up off the ice that other guys throw out. Picked up a fresh one once that was all of eight pounds.

Should be some youtube vidoes of guys catching them at night. I guess they do it crazy shallow water when they are spawning.
bill herian

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Goldfish wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

x2

And I told you I don't like lobster.

Oh yea that's right gold...my bad.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:57 pm

bill herian wrote:The couple I've caught have been low light or in the dark. Not a lot of opportunities around here unless you are fishing the big lake.

Most of them I've eaten have been ones we've picked up off the ice that other guys throw out. Picked up a fresh one once that was all of eight pounds.

Should be some youtube vidoes of guys catching them at night. I guess they do it crazy shallow water when they are spawning.

I hear stories of them getting left on the ice at oneida...I won't walk by one.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:01 pm

They get left on the ice a lot on Mille Lacs. Nobody bothers with them around here, and you get made fun of for pulling one thru the ice.
Goldfish

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:24 pm

if you want to catch burbot just go out and target whitefish, you will catch 3 burbot for every whitefish if not more
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 pm

synthetic braid with no stretch to a 8 pound leader. use a tiny treble hook with spawn as bait, best if it is still tight, use scissors to cut a piece off and put on the hook. above the hook you should have a small split shot and then an egg sinker, the deeper more current you fish the bigger the egg sinker. a spring bobber on your rod. let the rig sink to bottom and tighten the line until you have tension on your spring. set the hook at the tiniest hint of movement. get out the day before and chum the hole with loose eggs if you have them, use a dropper can if its deep.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby bill herian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm

jehler wrote:synthetic braid with no stretch to a 8 pound leader. use a tiny treble hook with spawn as bait, best if it is still tight, use scissors to cut a piece off and put on the hook. above the hook you should have a small split shot and then an egg sinker, the deeper more current you fish the bigger the egg sinker. a spring bobber on your rod. let the rig sink to bottom and tighten the line until you have tension on your spring. set the hook at the tiniest hint of movement. get out the day before and chum the hole with loose eggs if you have them, use a dropper can if its deep.

Eggs, egg sinkers, dropper cans, synthetic braid, spring bobbers, scissors, lord man, that's high science.

I just put the crap out and open a beer. Never really targeted burbot though, don't really have them in fishable numbers.
bill herian

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:51 pm

bill herian wrote:
jehler wrote:synthetic braid with no stretch to a 8 pound leader. use a tiny treble hook with spawn as bait, best if it is still tight, use scissors to cut a piece off and put on the hook. above the hook you should have a small split shot and then an egg sinker, the deeper more current you fish the bigger the egg sinker. a spring bobber on your rod. let the rig sink to bottom and tighten the line until you have tension on your spring. set the hook at the tiniest hint of movement. get out the day before and chum the hole with loose eggs if you have them, use a dropper can if its deep.

Eggs, egg sinkers, dropper cans, synthetic braid, spring bobbers, scissors, lord man, that's high science.

I just put the crap out and open a beer. Never really targeted burbot though, don't really have them in fishable numbers.

Holy crap! Got me thinking about where in the hell to get at some whitefish in lake ontario.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:02 pm

bill herian wrote: that's high science

eggzactly
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
bill herian wrote:

Holy crap! Got me thinking about where in the hell to get at some whitefish in lake ontario.

about 100-120 fow out in front of owsego would be a good starting point
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Getting brown trout eggs out and now I gotta get the boat out too. Jeepers creepers.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:Getting brown trout eggs out and now I gotta get the boat out too. Jeepers creepers.

that method i described wont work on a boat, on a boat stick with brewguns suggestion
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:26 pm

jehler wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:Getting brown trout eggs out and now I gotta get the boat out too. Jeepers creepers.

that method i described wont work on a boat, on a boat stick with brewguns suggestion

Oneida lake is my best bet. Black river bay is suppose to be good but its still open water.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:30 pm

I think oneida is to shallow for whitefish which is weird for burbots to be in there I know, but supposably they are pretty thick.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
jehler wrote:

Oneida lake is my best bet. Black river bay is suppose to be good but its still open water.

what about cayuga or seneca?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 pm

jehler wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:
jehler wrote:

Always thought of them as primarily lake trout haunts...worth looking into to :thumbsup:
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
jehler wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:
jehler wrote:

Always thought of them as primarily lake trout haunts...worth looking into to :thumbsup:

I don't know the lakes at all, just the cyber scouting i did just now, i have caught a lot more burbot on lake trouty lakes than walleye perchy lakes, no expert though
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:46 pm

x2 its a bit weird that oneida is so good.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Next

Return to Fishing Forum