Copper line setups

Re: Copper line setups

Postby bill herian » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:38 am

JGUN wrote:Bill,When I fish on another friends boat we run 6-8 copper rods, 3-4 dipsys, pound and a half ball, and two riggers. Pretty rare it causes any problems just have to run them far enough apart and steer clear of the crowds. We'll fish in 70' also. But our lines also vary in length. 30' 70' 150' 300' 450' with a couple rods of each length depending on conditions. Sometimes it's all they hit on.

We don't run short copper rigs like that. If the fish are that high, we can get plenty of crap in the right zone. We aren't going to run copper just fo the sake of running it, especially when we can get them fine on dipys, ropes, and 10oz balls. Our shit it dialed in, and when they're biting, we can become a floating carcass factory in no time. Five fish on 5 copper rigs is something I want no part of. :lol:

Might be worth mentioning we are running flashers/flies on every rod, 100% of the time, unless fishing steelhead.

If it ever gets to the point where we her to run multiple copper to get bites, I'm done.
bill herian

Postby bill herian » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 am

What kind of planar board are you running 450' of copper off of?

Andf what's your speed?
bill herian

Postby jehler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 am

Walleye boards (church) will pull an amazing load
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am

Yeah five kings on with five people in the boat gets interesting.:lol:
We run mostly plugs and spoons on the copper and keep the rotaters on the dipsies and riggers.
I think he just runs the large church boards for the 450'. Fortunately we've never had to use it when I fished with him. Typically 2.5-3 mph depending on currents.
He's gone to fishing with fewer rods at times just to stay on the water longer so he doesn't limit too fast. I know it's a horrible problem to have.:lol:
JGUN

Postby bill herian » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 am

jehler wrote:Walleye boards (church) will pull an amazing load

We use the regular church boards for 10 color ropes, but for sinker poles, it's big birds.

What ever lead core we are running is always going to be outside of two big birds to begin with, so we need the spacing. Church boards can tow lead core, but not 12 ouncers, at least not in an arrangement that makes me happy.
bill herian

Postby jehler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 pm

bill herian wrote:
jehler wrote:Walleye boards (church) will pull an amazing load

We use the regular church boards for 10 color ropes, but for sinker poles, it's big birds.

What ever lead core we are running is always going to be outside of two big birds to begin with, so we need the spacing. Church boards can tow lead core, but not 12 ouncers, at least not in an arrangement that makes me happy.

Have you tried the torpedo weights? Pull WAY better than the lead balls, unless your dropping the lead I would give em a shot
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Bill I can't land a fish on a fly and flasher to save my life, honest to god, run them on the Dipsy's and always loose the fish, any tips?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby bill herian » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 pm

jehler wrote:Have you tried the torpedo weights? Pull WAY better than the lead balls, unless your dropping the lead I would give em a shot

At this point, we've got those lead balls so dialed in I don't even want to think about changing. Another thing I don't want to think about it loosing a big bird (25) a torpedo diver (10-20?) a three way and snubber (5) and a flasher and fly (13) all in one crack. Thats approaching 70 dollars in tackle if you count leaders and swivels. It only happens once or twice a summer, but the suckage is no less potent.

As for the flasher flies, I don't know what to tell you. All the guys I know that are doing it for a living are running all flasher/flies. We can't get consistent enough bites on spoons to use them. Most of the tin boats around here run most if not all spoons, and they catch fish, but not faster than us. Speed right around 2. If I saw the speed over water hitting 2.8, I'd have a heart attack.

What kind of flashers/flies are you running. (subject matter may be entering PM zone)
bill herian

Postby JGUN » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 pm

bill herian wrote:
What kind of flashers/flies are you running. (subject matter may be entering PM zone)

You first:grin:
JGUN

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:02 pm

jehler wrote:Bill I can't land a fish on a fly and flasher to save my life, honest to god, run them on the Dipsy's and always loose the fish, any tips?

Check out the brand Atomik http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/ they have a trailer octopus behind the treble. I really like copper cuz it adds a different presentation to the mix. And its the presentation that is the farther est from the boat usually. And sometimes thats the trick. The logistics are aweful and the reeling in is great training for the annual arm wrestling tournament I take part in every year in vegas.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Consider running otter boats for two coppers. coppers down the shute will inevitably get a fish in it. take major heed on reeling it back up too. get loosey goosey on that spool and you'll bo jackson that rod i guarantee it.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:53 pm

bill herian wrote:

For flashers we have coyotes, spin docs, hoochie mommas, all kinda of colors, big and small. For flies we are running krw, horse flies, bug eyes and some other local ones, we often run a teaser between the Dipsy and flasher. We get bites but loose fish, if you have any tips please pm so I have a one up on jgun ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby bill herian » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Already spilled my guts to JGun, if he tells his old lady some of it might get around to you through pillow talk.
bill herian

Postby jehler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:51 am

bill herian wrote:Already spilled my guts to JGun, if he tells his old lady some of it might get around to you through pillow talk.

Son of a bitch!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 am

jehler wrote:
bill herian wrote:Already spilled my guts to JGun, if he tells his old lady some of it might get around to you through pillow talk.

Son of a bitch!

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
JGUN

Postby jehler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:11 am

Jgun doesn't talk to his ole lady, he dodges pots and pans, I'll never know :(
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby bill herian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Then sort through his trash, only a matter of time before she puts all of his tackle there.
bill herian

Postby jehler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:02 pm

bill herian wrote:Then sort through his trash, only a matter of time before she puts all of his tackle there.

Your a genius, I'm sure I could instigate this
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby bill herian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Might just drag the old tub out and try to kill some browns next week while I'm home. If you can get out of the harbor, limits are pretty automatic this time of year.
bill herian

Postby jehler » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm

bill herian wrote:Might just drag the old tub out and try to kill some browns next week while I'm home. If you can get out of the harbor, limits are pretty automatic this time of year.

We are thinking the same thing this weekend, what bait you like best? We have some wonderbread looking stick baits with a black head bloody nose thing going on that jr says will be money in the bank, we'll see
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby bill herian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Browns will bite anything, at least around here. Funny you mention wonderbread, because one of our mainstays for king and brown when fishing the beach are these big stupid wonderbread spoons (look like fishlanders, but might not be). We run them on our dippys and they get bit.

I never get to fish browns exculsively, if we are in brown territory its because we followed the kings there. We run a lot of j-plugs and catch a lot of browns on them. The best are the old pearl ones that they don't make anymore. If we break one off, we are going back for it.

Pretty much any spoon in the box will fool a brown.

We don't run any jointed baist or rapalas, but guys do, and they catch some. Browns particularly.
bill herian

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:05 pm

since the goby invasion here we've started running darker more natural colors for a few extra bites. Most spoon companies have good goby imitations now too. If they are real shallow (5ft) we like jointed rapalas and smaller yo zuris, deeper water (10 ft) storm stickbaits are go to, deeper (20ft) we like husky jerk suspending rapalas. usually always have both riggers rigged with those light Michigan stingers. My buddy has been out twice and he's done ok in 36 degree water, Im waiting for the water to get near 45 in pockets before I make the trip. Cohos come in with the browns a little later too. We go out of sandy in hamlin ny. Some epics early spring trips cant wait. totally agree that they are not picky, but daily patterns can emerge.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Is that wonder bread stick bombers? i remember bomber long A having a wonderbread like design.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Previous

Return to Fishing Forum