crappie diagnostics

crappie diagnostics

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Right now in Chaumont Bay the Crappie are staged up on spawning grounds. Baitfish are on their way in to spawning right now. Along with run off creating muddy visibility it is a grind catching them. Im hoping the water will clear to prop visible color by the weekend. Im hoping to have some better action.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Re: crappie diagnostics

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I got three rods when I send the boat for crappie. All rigged with slip bobbers. My 10'6" rod is riggeed with bobber stoppers around the slide weight too. I will get some pictures going soon. Bookmarked.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 pm

If it's dirty water try a short stubby black crankbait reeled really slow.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:54 am

Try trolling with church mini planer boards to find them
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 am

rebelp74 wrote:If it's dirty water try a short stubby black crankbait reeled really slow.

Took me forever to come to terms with the "darker the water, darker the lure" thing. Just doesn't make sense if you think about it. So I stopped thinking about it.
assateague

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:43 am

Gentlemen, the water is still too cold for casting cranks or trolling. Surface temps are still in the 40s. Can't wait for tomorrow. Bookmarked.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby assateague » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:45 am

The only way to catch crappies is jigging, anyway.
assateague

Postby assateague » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:45 am

Gonna make a couple bamboo poles this year, too, just for fun.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:50 am

Mornin Beef wrote:Right now in Chaumont Bay the Crappie are staged up on spawning grounds. Baitfish are on their way in to spawning right now. Along with run off creating muddy visibility it is a grind catching them. Im hoping the water will clear to prop visible color by the weekend. Im hoping to have some better action.

Is this you MB? Much younger than I imagined
Tomkat

Postby bill herian » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:57 am

No matter what the water looks like, white and pink are the go-to colors. Sometimes yellow, but if white and pink don't work, yellow probably won't either.
bill herian

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:16 am

Mornin Beef wrote:Gentlemen, the water is still too cold for casting cranks or trolling. Surface temps are still in the 40s. Can't wait for tomorrow. Bookmarked.

bullshit, slow troll road runner and a minnows suspended at 20' or so in deeper water outside of tributaries
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:51 pm

jehler wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:Gentlemen, the water is still too cold for casting cranks or trolling. Surface temps are still in the 40s. Can't wait for tomorrow. Bookmarked.

bullshit, slow troll road runner and a minnows suspended at 20' or so in deeper water outside of tributaries

Easy there capt tinneal...there in 3 to 7 ft of water right now.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Tomkat wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:Right now in Chaumont Bay the Crappie are staged up on spawning grounds. Baitfish are on their way in to spawning right now. Along with run off creating muddy visibility it is a grind catching them. Im hoping the water will clear to prop visible color by the weekend. Im hoping to have some better action.

Is this you MB? Much younger than I imagined

No, that's my jewish sidekick rube goldstein.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
jehler wrote:

must be warmer than 40 than brah
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:14 pm

assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:If it's dirty water try a short stubby black crankbait reeled really slow.

Took me forever to come to terms with the "darker the water, darker the lure" thing. Just doesn't make sense if you think about it. So I stopped thinking about it.

Darker colors silhouette better.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm

I use minnows for all my crappie fishing. If I don't know where a school is at then I hook up a crappie rig with about 4 foot between the hooks. Set the bobber so the bottom hook is 3/5 or half way to the bottom. Throw 3 lines out the back and set the troller on as slow as it goes. When I hook one I go back through a couple times, if I hook another one then I drop anchor for a while.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:23 pm

jehler wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:
jehler wrote:

must be warmer than 40 than brah

47-49. Hey what's up with saying brah? I think I know why but just curious
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:24 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I use minnows for all my crappie fishing. If I don't know where a school is at then I hook up a crappie rig with about 4 foot between the hooks. Set the bobber so the bottom hook is 3/5 or half way to the bottom. Throw 3 lines out the back and set the troller on as slow as it goes. When I hook one I go back through a couple times, if I hook another one then I drop anchor for a while.

Your trolling three bobber rigs?
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I use minnows for all my crappie fishing. If I don't know where a school is at then I hook up a crappie rig with about 4 foot between the hooks. Set the bobber so the bottom hook is 3/5 or half way to the bottom. Throw 3 lines out the back and set the troller on as slow as it goes. When I hook one I go back through a couple times, if I hook another one then I drop anchor for a while.

Yup. One about 20 foot back out the middle then 2 poles 40 foot back out the sides.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:44 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:

Yup. One about 20 foot back out the middle then 2 poles 40 foot back out the sides.

In shallow water your just spooking them tho. you run mini church boards while doing this?
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby assateague » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:47 pm

You guys put way too much thought into crappie fishing. Pick a spot and jig for 10 minutes. You don't get a bite, move on. You don't get a keeper in 20 minutes, move on.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:

In shallow water your just spooking them tho. you run mini church boards while doing this?

Usually when they are in shallow I know where they are so I just go straight to the anchor.
When I troll I'm typically in 15-30 foot depending on weather.
No boards just a couple 9 foot poles sticking straight out the sides. And when I mean slow I mean slow. I don't think boards would even work at that speed. If there is a breeze I just go with the wind.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:52 pm

assateague wrote:You guys put way too much thought into crappie fishing. Pick a spot and jig for 10 minutes. You don't get a bite, move on. You don't get a keeper in 20 minutes, move on.

That's basically what I'm doing when I troll. Only I just don't have to keep picking up to move.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:20 pm

assateague wrote:You guys put way too much thought into crappie fishing. Pick a spot and jig for 10 minutes. You don't get a bite, move on. You don't get a keeper in 20 minutes, move on.

That is all Im doing. Im not cane poleing it like some hobo, but its really all im doing. Slip bobbers are key. Three poles with different go to rigs. One for worms in case some bluegill want to play to. And a minnow rigged with a leader/weight for deeper water and one for shallow. Its jehler, rebels and fluffer nuffer wanting me to spawn out fish em. these fish are huggin the creek mouths becasue the warmer water is good for thier energy but is drawing in the spawning bait as well.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:

That is all Im doing. Im not cane poleing it like some hobo, but its really all im doing. Slip bobbers are key. Three poles with different go to rigs. One for worms in case some bluegill want to play to. And a minnow rigged with a leader/weight for deeper water and one for shallow. Its jehler, rebels and fluffer nuffer wanting me to spawn out fish em. these fish are huggin the creek mouths becasue the warmer water is good for thier energy but is drawing in the spawning bait as well.

Just re read what I sound like and now understand all the fart biscuits
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 am

i don't fish crappie, I just want to get beef to buy little planer boards so I can hear wether they work well or not
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 am

:lol:
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:31 am

Mornin Beef wrote:

Hey fart biscuit,

I like to hobo fish them some times in farm ponds. I dont use a cane pole but I will throw a bobber out and sit on the bank and let the world go by. Its not a bad way to pass the time.

I also use minnows a lot. I hope I get time to chase them this spring.

(I call you fart biscuit out of admiration. I think this will be your new nick name)
Tomkat

Postby Mornin Beef » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 pm

Horrible fishing. Wind was howling 30+ and now its pouring. Caught 1 crappie, 1 white perch, 1 pickeral, 1 largemeouth and 1 bluegill literally. Snapped a st croix rod in half. It got underneath a boat cleat and I went to grab hit and snapped it like a twig. I really do belive in the WFF curse. You let everyone know your upcoming plans and it is a guarunteed jinx. Please do not add any wisenheimer comments for awhile. Im a little raw over all this right now.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:34 pm

should have had planer boards
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Next

Return to Fishing Forum