crappie diagnostics

Re: crappie diagnostics

Postby Mornin Beef » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:09 pm

jehler wrote:As for reading the boards, those bastards always be screwing with us

I love arguing about dragging perch. :x
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:21 am

jehler wrote:http://www.axtackle.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1859
would like a review on these also

Those are very similar to the ones some guys use from the bank here, on rivers, when they want to run a plug from shore. They work pretty good for that application. I don't see why you couldn't get the same effect from out the side of a boat as long as you are moving at a good enough clip to keep them out to the side and not float up behind the boat.
QH's Paw

Postby bill herian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:22 am

Jehler, whats your aversion to yellow birds? We use the little ones for all of our coho/steelhead fishing and kings in the beach. Don't try pulling a lot of tackle with them but we can run 10 of them and get them to track nice.

Big birds are good for running lead balls too. Not the most sporty way to do it but that dosen't concern me.
bill herian

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:26 am

Have way more problems with them diving on us, I like the price but compared to the ease and performance of a walleye board there is no going back, you ever used a church board? The walleye board will haul almost anything, I have seen the Tx-44 haul a magnum Dipsy, not that I would but badass for maybe hauling your big balls bill
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby bill herian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:59 pm

We use church boards for our lead core. Just the standard one. They pull ten color ropes just well enough to not try something else. If we ran anything bigger for ten color ropes, you run the risk of dragging small fish around all day without knowing. Even with the church board, its ard to tell sometimes when you have a Tim on there. Also gotta remember we are running 3-5 boards a side, so we need to get the best spacing possible. Any tangle is going to involve 75+ dollars in tackle.

Bend the wire arm on your yellow bird if its diving. We use them because :

1) they are lighter

2) I don't want to be unhooking church boards with the fish forty feet behind the boat, be it 3 pound coho or 4 year old kings, you are going to lose a lot of them doing that.

3) we are not stringing everything with braid just so we can run church boards. We are a for-profit operation.

4)When we get into the coho, having church boards on all our rigs sounds like a nightmare, now that I think about it. More often than not I'm netting them two or three at a crack. No time for church boards with all that.

5) the coho won't pull a church board back far enough to clear the inside boards. When they trip the yellow birds, everything does a nice neat arc right to the back of the boat, keeping clear of all the other gear. Gotta remeber, we are running ten of those bastards. Space is tight.
bill herian

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:20 pm

bill herian wrote:We use church boards for our lead core. Just the standard one. They pull ten color ropes just well enough to not try something else. If we ran anything bigger for ten color ropes, you run the risk of dragging small fish around all day without knowing. Even with the church board, its ard to tell sometimes when you have a Tim on there. Also gotta remember we are running 3-5 boards a side, so we need to get the best spacing possible. Any tangle is going to involve 75+ dollars in tackle.

Bend the wire arm on your yellow bird if its diving. We use them because :

1) they are lighter

2) I don't want to be unhooking church boards with the fish forty feet behind the boat, be it 3 pound coho or 4 year old kings, you are going to lose a lot of them doing that.

3) we are not stringing everything with braid just so we can run church boards. We are a for-profit operation.

4)When we get into the coho, having church boards on all our rigs sounds like a nightmare, now that I think about it. More often than not I'm netting them two or three at a crack. No time for church boards with all that.

5) the coho won't pull a church board back far enough to clear the inside boards. When they trip the yellow birds, everything does a nice neat arc right to the back of the boat, keeping clear of all the other gear. Gotta remeber, we are running ten of those bastards. Space is tight.
the fiver per side would give me a stroke, trolling Atlantic's last week we went 3 per side and it was nuts.

Bending the wire, I'll have to look at that, in guessing whether I bend it up or down will be obvious when I'm looking at it?

I've never caught a coho, this year it's on the agenda. When we are trolling kings I stack my two riggers, two Dipsy's and one church each side. If I could I would just run the riggers, as I enjoy that just me and the fish thing they offer, sometimes the fish are just spooky about them though.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:09 pm

You guys are off the hook running all those setups. Me and my buddy had enough trouble running 4 striper fishing the other night. Had one fish grab a rebel and he was instantly tangled in two other setups. We got him in thanks to our cool headed actions and superior skill.;)
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:You guys are off the hook running all those setups. Me and my buddy had enough trouble running 4 striper fishing the other night. Had one fish grab a rebel and he was instantly tangled in two other setups. We got him in thanks to our cool headed actions and superior skill.;)
great lakes fishing has got to be the gear queerest fishing in the world
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:34 pm

jehler wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:You guys are off the hook running all those setups. Me and my buddy had enough trouble running 4 striper fishing the other night. Had one fish grab a rebel and he was instantly tangled in two other setups. We got him in thanks to our cool headed actions and superior skill.;)
great lakes fishing has got to be the gear queerest fishing in the world

:) we always make fun of the guides and fly fishermen around here. They wear shit like this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366580064.881458.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366580074.411741.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366580081.362791.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366580086.526145.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:38 pm

I don't flyfish but have that vest, my wife took it from the lost and found at work, she brought it home proclaiming "hey babe, I got you a dr Rick Marshall vest"
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Hahaha! This is what I look like fishing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366580452.877583.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Bootlipkiller

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:42 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Hahaha! This is what I look like fishing.
me to, I only wear the vest to things like parent teacher conferences
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tiler_J » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Except you have your shirt on backwards! :lol:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Tiler_J wrote:

Shit I forgot about that :) I really need to stop drinking.
Bootlipkiller

Postby Tiler_J » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:

Shit I forgot about that :) I really need to stop drinking.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Those salmon colored fishing shirts are dress code for westie and flint when they go fishing.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:26 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Those salmon colored fishing shirts are dress code for westie and flint when they go fishing.

Come down to the gulf in the middle of the summer and you'll be begging me for one of those shirts.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:Those salmon colored fishing shirts are dress code for westie and flint when they go fishing.

Come down to the gulf in the middle of the summer and you'll be begging me for one of those shirts.

Negative. Flip flops, shorts and sometimes a t-shirt are about all wear when I take the boat out in the gulf.
Last edited by rebelp74 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm

So what your saying is there are lots of gays in the gulf.:)
Bootlipkiller

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Doubt it.
assateague

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:29 pm

Every time I see a guide in one of those I can't help but yell,"it's not pink, it's salmon"!
Bootlipkiller

Postby Goldfish » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Every time I see a guide in one of those I can't help but yell,"it's not pink, it's salmon"!

Pronounce the L in salmon too, lol

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby bill herian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:54 pm

I got a question, John.

Where did these Atlantics come from? I've never heard of that. I hope they swim my way. If you caught a limit imagine what I could do to them. :lol:

I didn't know you guys don't get Coho up there. They are typically our bread and butter for the first third of the season unless the kings show up in force.
bill herian

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 pm

My guess.... The Atlantic.:)
Bootlipkiller

Postby bill herian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:My guess.... The Atlantic.:)

No rebels for you.
bill herian

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:21 pm

bill herian wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:My guess.... The Atlantic.:)

No rebels for you.

:):):)
Bootlipkiller

Postby jehler » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:03 am

bill herian wrote:I got a question, John.

Where did these Atlantics come from? I've never heard of that. I hope they swim my way. If you caught a limit imagine what I could do to them. :lol:

I didn't know you guys don't get Coho up there. They are typically our bread and butter for the first third of the season unless the kings show up in force.
we get coho bill, a lot, but by the time they are in thick its combat fishing and we have moved on to inland lakes or early youth hunts and stuff. The Atlantic's are plants on an inland lake
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:06 am

So you all catch the coho before the kings huh? Here they show up later I was told, we started catching kings in June last year and fished then once a week or better, caught plenty of steelhead but never a coho.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:46 pm

jehler wrote:So you all catch the coho before the kings huh? Here they show up later I was told, we started catching kings in June last year and fished then once a week or better, caught plenty of steelhead but never a coho.

cohos first then kings on ontario.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby bill herian » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:04 pm

You fish ontario?

I wouldn't go out on that death trap in a million years.
bill herian

PreviousNext

Return to Fishing Forum