crappie diagnostics

Re: crappie diagnostics

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed May 01, 2013 9:58 am

assateague wrote:Catch any crapgills lately?

Needed that laugh...work sucks today :lol: :lol:
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby assateague » Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 am

Work always sucks. That's why they call it "work" and not "fun". Just some days it sucks less. That's all.
assateague

Postby bill herian » Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:It would be so much easier to take part in online discussions if you bozos knew something about fish...really anything resembling a coherent thought would be a great starting point. I'll keep waiting.

I'm trying to learn about fish, that's why I asked what a chinho is.

Now can the hostility before I get this thread locked.
bill herian

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed May 01, 2013 12:53 pm

bill herian wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:It would be so much easier to take part in online discussions if you bozos knew something about fish...really anything resembling a coherent thought would be a great starting point. I'll keep waiting.

I'm trying to learn about fish, that's why I asked what a chinho is.

Now can the hostility before I get this thread locked.

Olly doesn't lock threads. Just moves them around all willy nilly so I can't find them. A chinho is a hybrid between a chinook and a coho who's father was a chinook. A conook has a coho father and chinook mother. Chinhos are much more common because coho fathers....well I don't have to go into coho fathering skills. That's common knowledge.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby bill herian » Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Is this miscegenation a part of your state's stocking program, or are these fish doing this all by themselves?

I just ask because i've seen tens of thousands of dead salmonid, but all of them came from the same place, and I never got the idea that I was looking at a mudblood.
bill herian

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm

The salmon river in paluski ny has natural repro for both kings and cohos and there is a window of overlap there relative to spawning. Sans genetic info you're left with observations of phenotype. Black gums with only the upper half of the tail fin spotted for example or some other melding of diagnostic features generally lends to a conclusion of hybridization. I see one pic on average posted around per year. Very rare but possible. Never worked in a hatchery but would presume its a very sterile atmospere with little or no chance of cross breeding. But who knows maybe there was a young tech prankster who thought it would be cool to mix up a few batches.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed May 01, 2013 3:45 pm

I catch a lot of king chinook crosses! :):):)
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby AKPirate » Wed May 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:I catch a lot of king chinook crosses! :):):)

I have caught exactly the same amount of rainbow-steelhead crosses as I have of silver-coho crosses :mrgreen:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 pm

AKPirate wrote:

I have caught exactly the same amount of rainbow-steelhead crosses as I have of silver-coho crosses :mrgreen:

That's almost as rare as a sprig pintail cross!
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby AKPirate » Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

Let's call that a sprintail from now on. Wonder if they can fertilize chinho eggs?
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed May 01, 2013 4:37 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

Let's call that a sprintail from now on. Wonder if they can fertilize chinho eggs?

I think it's highly possible. The result would probably be the birth of a Morning Beef.
Bootlipkiller

Postby AKPirate » Wed May 01, 2013 4:40 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

I think it's highly possible. The result would probably be the birth of a Morning Beef.

MB gonna foe your ass!
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
AKPirate wrote:[quote="Bootlipkiller"]I catch a lot of king chinook crosses! :):):)

MB gonna foe your ass![/quote]
Hahahahaha
Bootlipkiller

Postby bill herian » Wed May 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:The salmon river in paluski ny has natural repro for both kings and cohos and there is a window of overlap there relative to spawning. Sans genetic info you're left with observations of phenotype. Black gums with only the upper half of the tail fin spotted for example or some other melding of diagnostic features generally lends to a conclusion of hybridization. I see one pic on average posted around per year. Very rare but possible. Never worked in a hatchery but would presume its a very sterile atmospere with little or no chance of cross breeding. But who knows maybe there was a young tech prankster who thought it would be cool to mix up a few batches.

Now we're getting somewhere.

Phenotype means diddly. There are a few hot shot bios (and many more than a few anglers) out there who think they can detemine crosses by pheno alone. Studies done on walleye/sauger/saugeye crosses have repeadtley embarrassed these jokers when the genetic workup comes through.

Whats the first assumption in evolutionary theory? There is variation within the species. Just because it dosen't like the rest dosen't mean it isn't the same.

If you hunted an area where every buck had a typical 8 point rack, and your buddy shot a 10 pointer, would you say it isn't a whitetail?
bill herian

Postby AKPirate » Wed May 01, 2013 4:54 pm

bill herian wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:The salmon river in paluski ny has natural repro for both kings and cohos and there is a window of overlap there relative to spawning. Sans genetic info you're left with observations of phenotype. Black gums with only the upper half of the tail fin spotted for example or some other melding of diagnostic features generally lends to a conclusion of hybridization. I see one pic on average posted around per year. Very rare but possible. Never worked in a hatchery but would presume its a very sterile atmospere with little or no chance of cross breeding. But who knows maybe there was a young tech prankster who thought it would be cool to mix up a few batches.

Phenotype means diddly. There are a few hot shot bios (and many more than a few anglers) out there who think they can detemine crosses by pheno alone. Studies done on walleye/sauger/saugeye crosses have repeadtley embarrassed these jokers when the genetic workup comes through.

Whats the first assumption in evolutionary theory? There is variation within the species. Just because it dosen't like the rest dosen't mean it isn't the same.

If you hunted an area where every buck had a typical 8 point rack, and your buddy shot a 10 pointer, would you say it isn't a whitetail?

That would be called a White Hoe. (or a Pamela Anderson on the west coast)
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby bill herian » Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Tew-shae'
bill herian

Postby assateague » Wed May 01, 2013 6:00 pm

bill herian wrote:

I would if it had a black tail.
assateague

Postby bill herian » Wed May 01, 2013 6:05 pm

assateague wrote:I would if it had a black tail.

Stahp it.
bill herian

Postby AKPirate » Wed May 01, 2013 6:07 pm

bill herian wrote:
assateague wrote:I would if it had a black tail.

Stahp it.

Bill- Did your lower jaw freeze up? You have an accent today...
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby bill herian » Wed May 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Just slurring a little.

I found out yesterday that Wisconsin is #4 in beer consumption per capita.

I've been working all day to rectify the situation.
bill herian

Postby rebelp74 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:11 pm

eat-mor-cheez, typed in the chic-fil-a font on a sign held up by a hop
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby bill herian » Wed May 01, 2013 6:13 pm

rebelp74 wrote:eat-mor-cheez, typed in the chic-fil-a font on a sign held up by a hop

Sounds like we're trailing Louisana as well.
bill herian

Postby AKPirate » Wed May 01, 2013 6:14 pm

bill herian wrote:Just slurring a little.

I was a little disappointed in Alaska's showing as well. I am hitting the local watering holes with some friends tonight so we should look a little better after tonight. New Hampshire, who woulda thunk it.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed May 01, 2013 6:15 pm

bill herian wrote:

Phenotype means quite a bit and is telling. You can pick out the two species in first generation duck hybrids cant you? Variation, sub-species are intra-species-specific. Hybridization is quite different that variation. Yes hybridization happens most readily between recently divergent species which only makes sense and any morphological variation that could overlap the others characteristics is certainly a pitfall. And tell that to the ornithologists who study brewsters and lawrence warblers not only by sight but by ear.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby assateague » Wed May 01, 2013 6:24 pm

#6, actually.
assateague

Postby bill herian » Wed May 01, 2013 6:26 pm

assateague wrote:

#6, actually.

If you don't have anything nice to say, go to the dog forum.
bill herian

Postby assateague » Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 pm

:lol:
assateague

Postby assateague » Wed May 01, 2013 6:34 pm

If it's any consolation, I am looking at "new" football teams, in case this latest attack on the Redskins works, and they cave in. If they change their name, right now the Packers are in first place to replace them. I was leaning toward the Cowboys, since that is as far as you can get from the Redskins, but just don't think I can do it. But the Packers fit the bill, for now.
assateague

Postby bill herian » Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm

assateague wrote:If it's any consolation, I am looking at "new" football teams, in case this latest attack on the Redskins works, and they cave in. If they change their name, right now the Packers are in first place to replace them. I was leaning toward the Cowboys, since that is as far as you can get from the Redskins, but just don't think I can do it. But the Packers fit the bill, for now.

When you come to pick up the pooch, swing over to lambeau and look around. Even if you're not into football so much, its a pretty neat place.

Where are you going to pick up the dog?
bill herian

Postby rebelp74 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Go Bucs
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

PreviousNext

Return to Fishing Forum