2014 striper (not stripper) thread

Re: 2014 striper (not stripper) thread

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Frylock wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:Yea those are huge

Thanks boot, but to fair they're from the ocean....I've never caught a striped in fresh water, looks like fun.

It's fun but fish like that are a once in a life time if your lucky thing around here. That's awesome y'all get to spear them.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby bill herian » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 pm

I've caught a 52 inch sturgeon through the ice. Not a big one by any stretch but I remember during the fight I would pinch the #50 dacron between the pad of my thumb and middle knuckle of my index finger, as tight as I could, it would make this wicked popping sound as the fish continued to take line. I've hooked larger ones that I just had to wrap the line around my gloved hands and wait for some part of the tackle to fail.
bill herian

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Yesterday was a crazy day not because the fishing was good but because of all the strange things that happened. My new led light seemed to work in the pre dawn darkness cutting through the fog.

Ended up catching 2 stripers, a small king salmon, and hooking a sturgeon that me and Jason (I shoot Spoonies) estimated to be between 7 and 8 feet long. We only saw the fish twice during the 1 hour and 15 minute battle and eventually the fish found a snag to saw the line off in. Using my Abu Garcia 5600 and 15 pound Berkeley big game I was seriously out matched and today I'm feeling it in my arms. It is easily the largest fish I've ever had the opportunity to battle and the power of the giant fish was amazing.

The salmon I had to release because they are not in season and the sturgeon was not only far to large to be legally kept but appeared to be foul hooked as well.

This is one of the stripers we caught.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396848430.146925.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396848505.429086.jpg

Jason's alive? That's nice.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:54 pm

bill herian wrote:I've caught a 52 inch sturgeon through the ice. Not a big one by any stretch but I remember during the fight I would pinch the #50 dacron between the pad of my thumb and middle knuckle of my index finger, as tight as I could, it would make this wicked popping sound as the fish continued to take line. I've hooked larger ones that I just had to wrap the line around my gloved hands and wait for some part of the tackle to fail.

That's where I was at with this fish. I finally just excepted the fact I couldn't win with the tackle I was using.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
AKPirate wrote:Does everyone in California use left handed reels?

No, just the truly awesome people do.

Word up :thumbsup:
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:48 pm

It was crowded today on the river and that always sucks. The fishing was fair. We ended up catching 5 stripers.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397080012.149016.jpg

Two keeper males my dad caught
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397080039.823221.jpg

9 or 10 pound hen my dad released to make baby's.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Bootlipkiller

Postby assateague » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:06 pm

You ever have to arrest your dad?
assateague

Postby capt1972 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:06 pm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:21 pm

assateague wrote:You ever have to arrest your dad?

Not yet :lol:
Bootlipkiller

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:21 pm

Capt wins this thread.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby bill herian » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Your old man looks like a bad ass. I bet you can't wait to grow up.
bill herian

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:15 pm

bill herian wrote:Your old man looks like a bad ass. I bet you can't wait to grow up.

I keep hoping but it may never happen.
Bootlipkiller

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
bill herian wrote:Your old man looks like a bad ass. I bet you can't wait to grow up.

He looks like a Mike.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:50 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

He looks like a Mike.

He did choke me out once when I lived at home for getting spray paint on the driveway. I don't fuck with him :lol:
Bootlipkiller

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:56 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

He looks like a Mike.

He did choke me out once when I lived at home for getting spray paint on the driveway. I don't fuck with him :lol:

Although he does look like he can whoop some ass, I was saying he looks like his name would be Mike.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:14 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

He looks like a Mike.

Seriously laughed at this one.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:38 am

bill herian wrote:I've caught a 52 inch sturgeon through the ice. Not a big one by any stretch but I remember during the fight I would pinch the #50 dacron between the pad of my thumb and middle knuckle of my index finger, as tight as I could, it would make this wicked popping sound as the fish continued to take line. I've hooked larger ones that I just had to wrap the line around my gloved hands and wait for some part of the tackle to fail.

I've fought 10 foot sturgeon on the Columbia river with a 14' rod, from the bank. At some point it becomes obvious to you that you are wasting your time with a fish you can't even keep. The first thing I would do is jam my fingers in the reel so it couldn't take line and, hopefully bust the line. When that didn't work we would try to put as many wraps of the line as we could around the outside of the reel. If the fish wanted to get away it would break the line.
Sorry, wasn't trying to one up ya. Your story just reminded me of good times had out sturgeon fishing. I miss it.
QH's Paw

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:41 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

He looks like a Mike.

Sounds like you had it coming. :mrgreen:
QH's Paw

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:45 am

Damn I'd like to get down there for stipers. What do you use them for. I mean what are the things and ways you cook them up?
QH's Paw

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:34 am

QH's Paw wrote:Damn I'd like to get down there for stipers. What do you use them for. I mean what are the things and ways you cook them up?

You're welcome any time mike but I wouldn't recommend coming this year with our drought situation. Striper is good almost any way you cook it. My favorite is fried or baked in the oven with a coating of mayo bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
Bootlipkiller

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:22 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:Damn I'd like to get down there for stipers. What do you use them for. I mean what are the things and ways you cook them up?

You're welcome any time mike but I wouldn't recommend coming this year with our drought situation. Striper is good almost any way you cook it. My favorite is fried or baked in the oven with a coating of mayo bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.

We do the mayo and cheese on salmon and sturgeon sometimes too. The striper we were cathcing were in a lake and we battered and deep fried them like cod. They were awesome.
QH's Paw

Postby assateague » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:56 am

Most rockfish around here is broiled or fried. May have to try the cheese and mayo thing.
assateague

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:21 am

assateague wrote:Most rockfish around here is broiled or fried. May have to try the cheese and mayo thing.

It works best for fish that are somewhat dry and not too oily to begin with.
QH's Paw

Postby RonE » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:47 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:Yesterday was a crazy day not because the fishing was good but because of all the strange things that happened. My new led light seemed to work in the pre dawn darkness cutting through the fog.

Ended up catching 2 stripers, a small king salmon, and hooking a sturgeon that me and Jason (I shoot Spoonies) estimated to be between 7 and 8 feet long. We only saw the fish twice during the 1 hour and 15 minute battle and eventually the fish found a snag to saw the line off in. Using my Abu Garcia 5600 and 15 pound Berkeley big game I was seriously out matched and today I'm feeling it in my arms. It is easily the largest fish I've ever had the opportunity to battle and the power of the giant fish was amazing.

The salmon I had to release because they are not in season and the sturgeon was not only far to large to be legally kept but appeared to be foul hooked as well.

This is one of the stripers we caught.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396848430.146925.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396848505.429086.jpg

Consider using braid on your Abdul Garcia. I would suggest 30 lb Power Pro or Fins. Has an 8lb test mono diameter and wears and casts well.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby bill herian » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Powerpro is some nasty stuff. We use it on the big lake for trolling and I have it on my muskie rod.

You can cut a person in half at the waist with 4 feet of #50 powerpro.

It's actually somewhat of hazard. Never wrap it around your hand if you are snagged or trying to break it off. I've had it cut right through nitrile gloves when a big king made a break for it.
bill herian

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:38 pm

bill herian wrote:Powerpro is some nasty stuff. We use it on the big lake for trolling and I have it on my muskie rod.

You can cut a person in half at the waist with 4 feet of #50 powerpro.

That's no joke. I have 50# power pro on my sturgeon rod but I like mono for stripers. It's just easier to break off if I get a snag and easier to deal with if I need to retie.
Bootlipkiller

Postby assateague » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:39 pm

RonE wrote:Consider using braid on your Abdul Garcia. I would suggest 30 lb Power Pro or Fins. Has an 8lb test mono diameter and wears and casts well.

Is the Abdul Garcia what you get when you put a towel on your reel?
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:40 pm

assateague wrote:
RonE wrote:Consider using braid on your Abdul Garcia. I would suggest 30 lb Power Pro or Fins. Has an 8lb test mono diameter and wears and casts well.

Is the Abdul Garcia what you get when you put a towel on your reel?

If you drop it, it will blow up.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bootlipkiller

PreviousNext

Return to Fishing Forum