NuffDaddy's bowfishing thread

Re: NuffDaddy's bowfishing thread

Postby Goldfish » Tue May 06, 2014 7:46 pm

They just opened up shore fishing in creeks and rivers as of may 1st because otherwise you will shoot at walleye and northern instead of carp and drum, because they look alike...
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Goldfish wrote:Lets hope this works
uploadfromtaptalk1399409567017.jpg

It will work just fine. Just alittle slow retrieving. I started with the same thing basically. Only mine was made from a 2x4.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 pm

flight control wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
flight control wrote:Water swatters. I've never been so disgusted.
just doing my part to keep those invasive species in check. Just like those immigrant ducks each fall

Just kidding. That looks fun as hell, but totaly illegal here. Probably because of all the salmon in the rivers, and, you know, we can't be trusted and all.

It'll come up there eventually. We've had a lot of new laws made and old laws changed recently to make bowfishing easier and more available.
When I started it was hard to find arrows/string/reels in local sporting goods stores. Now almost every place that carries hunting stuff carries some bowfishing gear.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby flight control » Wed May 07, 2014 6:20 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
flight control wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
just doing my part to keep those invasive species in check. Just like those immigrant ducks each fall

Just kidding. That looks fun as hell, but totaly illegal here. Probably because of all the salmon in the rivers, and, you know, we can't be trusted and all.

It'll come up there eventually. We've had a lot of new laws made and old laws changed recently to make bowfishing easier and more available.
When I started it was hard to find arrows/string/reels in local sporting goods stores. Now almost every place that carries hunting stuff carries some bowfishing gear.

Not sure it'll ever make it up here. The only fish I can think of to shoot would be suckers and I think the ecosystem is better off with them. Trout love to eat baby suckers. We don't have any invasives like carp.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed May 07, 2014 7:47 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Tonight sucked. Water was chocolate milk and all we could see was swirls everywhere. Whenever we hit a somewhat clear spot we got shooting in. Only ended with 5 or 6 in 2 hours. Didn't even bother to take em out if the barrel.

I thought they muddied up the water everywhere, and that's what the lights were for? I don't know the first thing about carp, but thought mud was the norm.

They do. But this was mostly because of the wind and only had 1-2" visibility. Carp will stir it up but not like the wave will. I usually like to fish with 1-2' visibility.
Lights won't cut solids in the water. But they do penetrate through algae and murky water a lot better than the sun can.

Does anyone use submerged lights? seems like that would cut through the mud better and not give any glare.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed May 07, 2014 8:33 am

flight control wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
flight control wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

Not sure it'll ever make it up here. The only fish I can think of to shoot would be suckers and I think the ecosystem is better off with them. Trout love to eat baby suckers. We don't have any invasives like carp.

No carp found their way up there yet eh??
I thought they were everywhere.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed May 07, 2014 8:38 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Tonight sucked. Water was chocolate milk and all we could see was swirls everywhere. Whenever we hit a somewhat clear spot we got shooting in. Only ended with 5 or 6 in 2 hours. Didn't even bother to take em out if the barrel.

I thought they muddied up the water everywhere, and that's what the lights were for? I don't know the first thing about carp, but thought mud was the norm.

They do. But this was mostly because of the wind and only had 1-2" visibility. Carp will stir it up but not like the wave will. I usually like to fish with 1-2' visibility.
Lights won't cut solids in the water. But they do penetrate through algae and murky water a lot better than the sun can.

Does anyone use submerged lights? seems like that would cut through the mud better and not give any glare.

I've heard of it. Never seen anyone though. The problem with that in muddy water is if the visibility is a foot, the light won't go much further through the water than a foot. And usually I'm in 6"-18" of water with weeds and logs. Submerged lights would be a PITA. Would work really good though in deeper flats with clear water.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed May 07, 2014 8:56 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:

I've heard of it. Never seen anyone though. The problem with that in muddy water is if the visibility is a foot, the light won't go much further through the water than a foot. And usually I'm in 6"-18" of water with weeds and logs. Submerged lights would be a PITA. Would work really good though in deeper flats with clear water.

Bow fishing has become pretty popular around here in the last couple years. We even have bow fishing guides around here now.
Every jon boat on Craigslist is listed as a duck boat/ bow fishing rig.
I might have to try it out.
I was recently gifted a little 3,000 watt generator. All I need is a bow and some lights for my boat.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Goldfish » Wed May 07, 2014 9:43 am

It's getting big around here too. They recently had a tournament south of here a little ways on the Mississippi. People are also guiding
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby BrewGUN » Wed May 07, 2014 9:47 am

We use underwater lights, but most of our water is a lot more clear than the Saginaw Bay Area that Nuff inhabits. In clear water they work great, but really shallow and stumpy areas can be risky. Also underwater lights work better in deeper water too.
BrewGUN

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed May 07, 2014 9:48 am

Goldfish wrote:It's getting big around here too. They recently had a tournament south of here a little ways on the Mississippi. People are also guiding

I really haven't heard of carp being a problem around here, and im pretty sure some people around here eat them. was told by some guys i ran off the golf course who were trying to catch my grass carp from the irrigation pond with a cast net that they are a delicacy... We don't have the Asian jumping carp here yet. now I've seen some badass videos of people shotgunning those when they jump. But i don't want to derail Nuffs thread.. So forget I said it.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed May 07, 2014 9:51 am

BrewGUN wrote:We use underwater lights, but most of our water is a lot more clear than the Saginaw Bay Area that Nuff inhabits. In clear water they work great, but really shallow and stumpy areas can be risky. Also underwater lights work better in deeper water too.

Wouldn't work around here then I guess. You can barely run an outboard in shallow water ( a bit of an exaggeration but I usually bump something with the foot a few times every time I go out) in any of our lakes bc of all the stumps. We don't have any lakes in Georgia that i know of that aren't man made. So the stumps are everywhere bc it used to be the woods.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
Goldfish wrote:It's getting big around here too. They recently had a tournament south of here a little ways on the Mississippi. People are also guiding

I really haven't heard of carp being a problem around here, and im pretty sure some people around here eat them. was told by some guys i ran off the golf course who were trying to catch my grass carp from the irrigation pond with a cast net that they are a delicacy... We don't have the Asian jumping carp here yet. now I've seen some badass videos of people shotgunning those when they jump. But i don't want to derail Nuffs thread.. So forget I said it.

You can pretty much find a tournament to shoot in within an afternoon drive every weekend from May to July. I know of one guide up here, He Has a badass airboat all rigged up.
I'm sure you have decent numbers of carp there. But there are several other species you can shoot too. The Asians are getting close here. I'm sure there are some in lake MI. Will only be a matter of time before they establish and spread. Will be fun as hell shooting them flying though the air, but it will completely destroy the rest of the fisheries.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Wed May 07, 2014 12:35 pm

They can eat all the plankton that the zebra mussels don't get, just to put the last solid punch to kill the lakes
Goldfish

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed May 07, 2014 12:40 pm

Goldfish wrote:They can eat all the plankton that the zebra mussels don't get, just to put the last solid punch to kill the lakes

Yup. Then say goodby Michigan. That's the last thing holding this state together. Wisconsin, Illinois, and Ohio will have a battle royal over us.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Wed May 07, 2014 12:41 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Goldfish wrote:They can eat all the plankton that the zebra mussels don't get, just to put the last solid punch to kill the lakes

Yup. Then say goodby Michigan. That's the last thing holding this state together. Wisconsin, Illinois, and Ohio will have a battle royal over us.
looser takes it?
Goldfish

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed May 07, 2014 12:41 pm

Goldfish wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

looser takes it?

:lol::lol::lol: sounds about right.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:We use underwater lights, but most of our water is a lot more clear than the Saginaw Bay Area that Nuff inhabits. In clear water they work great, but really shallow and stumpy areas can be risky. Also underwater lights work better in deeper water too.

Wouldn't work around here then I guess. You can barely run an outboard in shallow water ( a bit of an exaggeration but I usually bump something with the foot a few times every time I go out) in any of our lakes bc of all the stumps. We don't have any lakes in Georgia that i know of that aren't man made. So the stumps are everywhere bc it used to be the woods.

There's a difference in grass carp and gold carp. Grass carp have white meat and aren't bad, gold carp have red meat, stink and taste horrible.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 pm

All strapped down and ready to go do some scouting/shooting tomorrow for the tournament next weekend.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri May 09, 2014 6:22 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399677728.597462.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 12:11 am

Stacked em up tonight. 56 in 2 and a half hours. Weather was perfect and the fish were in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399785094.229068.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399785110.545200.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MNkid7 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:25 am

Nice! I was out at a dam today and shot about 20 with a group of guys. They aren't quite running good yet but it was still fun, especially when you're shooting fish that are swimming through your feet.
MNkid7

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 12:31 am

MNkid7 wrote:Nice! I was out at a dam today and shot about 20 with a group of guys. They aren't quite running good yet but it was still fun, especially when you're shooting fish that are swimming through your feet.

They are on the bay shore real good. Can't seem to find many in the rivers yet though. We had carp everywhere around us most of the night. Water was a bit murky, but could still see plenty well.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 12:32 am

Had 4 that maxed out my 22lb scale too.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun May 11, 2014 12:34 am

Nice shootin. That looks like a blast, but I dont think we have anywhere near here to bow fish.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 12:41 am

3legged_lab wrote:Nice shootin. That looks like a blast, but I dont think we have anywhere near here to bow fish.

It's a ton of fun when things work. Can be as frustrating as a bad duck hunt though when things don't work like you had hoped.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun May 11, 2014 12:43 am

It looks comparable to when I shoot ground squirrels with my bow, doesnt sound exciting at first - then you shoot one and you're hooked.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 7:25 am

3legged_lab wrote:It looks comparable to when I shoot ground squirrels with my bow, doesnt sound exciting at first - then you shoot one and you're hooked.

That sounds bout right. First time I hit one and I saw the tip of my arrow go shooting up river it was game over.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Spend the day scouting for the tourney next weekend. Was a beautiful day to be on the water and found some new duck spots.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399861333.302693.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 9:23 pm

And I need to come up with a better fish disposal system. This hole digging shit is getting old.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399861386.886158.jpg
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Fishing Forum