Crestliner Kodiak 18

Crestliner Kodiak 18

Postby 3geese4me » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Anybody have any experience with these boats? Looks to be a nice starter boat for a decent price.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Re: Crestliner Kodiak 18

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Crestliner makes a fine boat. I know several people who own them.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:13 pm

Join the brotherhood!
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby 3geese4me » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:56 pm

It looks like a cheaper version of the fish hawk series.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby 3geese4me » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:57 pm

This will have to wait until springtime because I just spent 16k on a new camper. I need to save some more money.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby bill herian » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:10 am

Where do you want to take it?
bill herian

Postby 3geese4me » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 am

bill herian wrote:Where do you want to take it?

Lake Sakakawea and devil's lake when the wind is right.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:54 am

3geese4me wrote:
bill herian wrote:Where do you want to take it?

Lake Sakakawea and devil's lake when the wind is right.

Death trap!

Gonna need a 40' at minimum in order to navigate that body of water.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Edmund Fitzgerald
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Woody » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:11 pm

This guy says a 19 foot boat can handle 10 foot waves...

http://southbend.craigslist.org/boa/4455160062.html

I have a 19' Bow rider boat for sale. Its a "Manatee" (manufacturer) built in Sarasota, Fl. I completely rebuilt the interior including the floor about 5 years ago, and it is a solid and very sea worthy craft. It has an Evinrude 100 hp outboard with power tilt/trim that was completely rebuilt using performance parts about 9 years ago, and has been maintained very well since. Interior is very roomy for a smaller boat. I have used this boat for a multitude of activities....skiing, fishing, pleasure boating, and even camping up on Lake Michigan at a harbor. A queen sized air mattress fits perfectly between the back of the front seats and the back seats/engine well area. My favorite thing about this boat is that it is small enough to use on an inland lake, but hearty enough to handle Lake Michigan (I have had this boat out in 10+ foot waves on several occasions and it handled them flawlessly). This boat comes with a nice dual-axle trailer, and all you will need to get started....life jackets, fish finder, radio, ship to shore radio,fenders,cover, and anchor.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Woody wrote:This guy says a 19 foot boat can handle 10 foot waves...

http://southbend.craigslist.org/boa/4455160062.html

I have a 19' Bow rider boat for sale. Its a "Manatee" (manufacturer) built in Sarasota, Fl. I completely rebuilt the interior including the floor about 5 years ago, and it is a solid and very sea worthy craft. It has an Evinrude 100 hp outboard with power tilt/trim that was completely rebuilt using performance parts about 9 years ago, and has been maintained very well since. Interior is very roomy for a smaller boat. I have used this boat for a multitude of activities....skiing, fishing, pleasure boating, and even camping up on Lake Michigan at a harbor. A queen sized air mattress fits perfectly between the back of the front seats and the back seats/engine well area. My favorite thing about this boat is that it is small enough to use on an inland lake, but hearty enough to handle Lake Michigan (I have had this boat out in 10+ foot waves on several occasions and it handled them flawlessly). This boat comes with a nice dual-axle trailer, and all you will need to get started....life jackets, fish finder, radio, ship to shore radio,fenders,cover, and anchor.

Anything can happen in MI. So unpredictable
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Oh, there are well over 10+ foot waves on occasions (20+ even), but I highly doubt a 19 foot boat handled them "flawlessly"
Woody

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:20 pm

Bull. Shit.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby 3geese4me » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Thinking about getting the 16' boat now. Almost the same specs as the 18' but just a 1.5' smaller and identical beam length. Will also save me some cash.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:57 pm

3geese4me wrote:Thinking about getting the 16' boat now. Almost the same specs as the 18' but just a 1.5' smaller and identical beam length. Will also save me some cash.

Should handle the bigger waves better because it can fit between them instead of trying to cover the gap between them, right?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3geese4me » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Goldfish wrote:
3geese4me wrote:Thinking about getting the 16' boat now. Almost the same specs as the 18' but just a 1.5' smaller and identical beam length. Will also save me some cash.

Should handle the bigger waves better because it can fit between them instead of trying to cover the gap between them, right?

Precisely! You want to be the first mate?

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:32 pm

No way in hell would I wana be in that boat in 10 footers.
I've only been in waves like that a couple times but it was in a 30 foot boat, and I was for damn sure not the captain of that vessel.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby 3geese4me » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:36 pm

The most I'll fish in is 2' chop. Anything over that and I'm just not comfortable doing, not in boat worthiness but just physical comfort.

US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby JGUN » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 pm

19' boat & 10' waves? I'll drive anyone want to go for a ride?
Not exactly fishable but I bet it could handle it.
JGUN

Postby Woody » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:06 pm

JGUN wrote:19' boat & 10' waves? I'll drive anyone want to go for a ride?

It could handle it, sure, but flawlessly? Maybe I have a different definition.
Woody

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Thing is with waves that big, you've got time between them unlike 2-3ft waves that are almost on top of each other
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby RonE » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Depends on the period and the wind. Short period and high wind it would be a little uncomfortable.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm game. What do you want to drink?
Goldfish

Postby Woody » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:17 pm

RonE wrote:

Depends on the period and the wind. Short period and high wind it would be a little uncomfortable.

Lake Michigan has wind driven waves with short periods. Throw in its unpredictable western shore and it takes a 50+ foot boat to safely navigate her open waters.
Woody

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tiler_J » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:28 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

That is the worst boat blind I have ever seen!! Catchy song though.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby bill herian » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:23 am

Lake Michigan is capbable of getting up waves appraoching 20 but only in Sept when the water is warm and only in the northern part of lake when the wind has the right north angle. Even then, it needs to puff pretty good. There are spans of years between 20 foot wave events. I've talked to some crusty old seamen (not fishermen, actual mariners) and all agree the best they've seen is about 15 footers.

If your in an 18 footer in real sixes or better (not tin boat sixes), you're not fishing, you're surviving.
bill herian

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:41 am

bill herian wrote:Lake Michigan is capbable of getting up waves appraoching 20 but only in Sept when the water is warm and only in the northern part of lake when the wind has the right north angle. Even then, it needs to puff pretty good. There are spans of years between 20 foot wave events. I've talked to some crusty old seamen (not fishermen, actual mariners) and all agree the best they've seen is about 15 footers.

If your in an 18 footer in real sixes or better (not tin boat sixes), you're not fishing, you're surviving.

Your'e talking about significant wave height, right?
Woody

Crestliner Kodiak 18

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:00 am

bill herian wrote:Lake Michigan is capbable of getting up waves appraoching 20 but only in Sept when the water is warm and only in the northern part of lake when the wind has the right north angle. Even then, it needs to puff pretty good. There are spans of years between 20 foot wave events. I've talked to some crusty old seamen (not fishermen, actual mariners) and all agree the best they've seen is about 15 footers.

Exactly.

We had some periods of 40mph winds gusting to 50 last fall, and never approached anything above 12' in the forecast (or at the reporting buoy's). I'm sure 20's are possible, but I can't remember when they've ever gotten that big, nor can I imagine being out in anything even half that
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:06 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:

Exactly.

We had some periods of 40mph winds gusting to 50 last fall, and never approached anything above 12' in the forecast (or at the reporting buoy's). I'm sure 20's are possible, but I can't remember when they've ever gotten that big, nor can I imagine being out in anything even half that

Largest wave height recorded by a buoy was in 2011, 23 ft. The buoy, about 50 miles west-southwest of Holland, takes readings from March into November each year, and is shut down each winter.
Woody

Next

Return to Fishing Forum