LA Getaway

LA Getaway

Postby Deltaman » Wed May 13, 2015 8:22 am

Headed West to Stephensville, LA last Friday morning, for a long fishing weekend with my sweetie, and stayed on a houseboat on the river. Bream and catfish were the targets, and after unloading the truck, launched my duck skiff into the bayou (Right where Sculley's Aluminum Boat works is located), and commenced to checking out the fishing. The area we were staying in is a mere sliver of land about 4 miles long, with cypress swamp on one side coming right up to the edge of the road, and the river (never did learn the name of it, but it led into Lake Verrett),on the other. You could throw a rock from the swamp to the river anywhere along this stretch. Both bream and catfish were plentiful, and we caught some of each at every stop, mostly targeting the cypress knees that stuck out from the flooded banks. Jenny's brother has been working down there for the last year, and he hooked us up Saturday with 2 sacks of what the area is famous for...........crawfish! Fished Saturday morning, and came back to the houseboat for an afternoon boil, complete with potatoes, corn, Conecuh sausage and mushrooms. Several of her brother's neighbors in the area came down for the feast, and we enjoyed some colorful conversations and many cold beers. I love talking to locals and hearing stories of their life and experiences in the swamp. Saturday night, we fried bream and catfish, and ate until we were about to bust. Sunday morning, we were up early, pulling the boat out and headed back to Mobile. It was a great weekend getaway, and there were several things that really stood out in my mind..........bullfrogs were croaking everywhere we went, almost as if they were trying to out do each other, the duckweed floating in the swamps was endless, and I could only imagine how many ducks fed on it in the winter time, huge catfish rolling everywhere in the river at night and early mornings, gators were but a glance away most times, many laying up on the edge of the road, dogs, not so much. When I was idling back to the launch early Sunday morning, I heard a dog barking, and it hit me..........that was the only dog I saw or heard all weekend.......... and he was in a kennel over the water :shock: Made it back to Mobile Sunday after lunch, and in time to throw a slab of ribs on the grill for dinner. What a great getaway, just wish I had taken some pictures. Only one I took was of he boat we stayed on........

Took Monday off as well (vacation to get over vacation :) ), and got my local fishing bone satisfied. Bought 3 dz live shrimp and spent a few hours around the mouth of Mobile River, picking up several nice speckled trout and one decent flounder, and headed in early afternoon. Going back to work yesterday sucked...............and I felt as if I had been off for a month :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: LA Getaway

Postby Darren » Wed May 13, 2015 4:37 pm

Nice trip! Those swamps are a whole 'nother world huh!? Glad it was a good visit, come try the ducks in the fall
Darren

Re: LA Getaway

Postby Ajverret » Thu May 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Cant beat it down here man this really is gods country
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Return to Fishing Forum