Help Identify Last Night's Catch

Help Identify Last Night's Catch

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:07 am

It was about 30" tall. Long bill. Long legs. About a 3' wing span. Long thin crest.

Looked something like this, but it was hard to tell in the dark.

I was fishing last night from my patio. Two of what I think are these guys and a great blue heron were wading the shoreline in the dark. The two small herons took off and one flew into my line and it wrapped around his wing. And if that wasn't bad enough, the neighbors were out, so here I am trying to untangle this bird in the dark in front of an audience. Trying not to get bit or scratched with their long legs while trying to get the bird untangled without hurting him.

It was tangled around the very end of his wing, so I hope I didn't break that small bone. Probably the worst place to get tangled. I let him loose and he just went back to wading the shoreline. He was there for another hour or so before he walked off out of site. I was really hoping to see him fly away. Would have made me feel a little better.

That's the second time I've caught a bird. A hell of a lot harder to untangle a heron by yourself at night without a light than a seagull during the day with a buddy.
SpinnerMan

Re: Help Identify Last Night's Catch

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Shit happens and then you deny deny deny.
It never happened. @
Great story. :clap:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Fishing Forum