2018-2019 Preseason...

Re: 2018-2019 Preseason...

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Thought I might capture some exciting footage of getting stuck in the run between Clyde's blind and mine this morning, but it turns out the rut I've cut is still enough for unloaded passage, and better still yesterday's re-grinding progress was still that:

Having water handy made finishing up as much as current conditions allow a whole lot easier than when I first have to cut a rut for water to work with.

Given the givens, I felt pretty good about how the pond looked when I left:
042.JPG

But a pretty stark reminder of just how far we are from remotely "right" was waiting at the boathouse:
017.JPG

May very well be laboring for not.

And speaking of "not," not a billed bird was seen today.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Thank's for the ride along. I enjoyed it.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:44 am

BGcorey wrote:So an in board mud boat wouldn’t make that run?

Don't know other than that given the additional weight, let alone girth, it would be more of an adventure. Do know that a mudboat with a broken drive train keyway from hitting one of the hard sand knolls would make a bitch of a plug to remove. Not a stunt I'd intentionally attempt, in any event.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Showed a couple guys a farm they rented from us, and they saw what they thought a bluewing and I saw what may have been a little wad of them dip from sight in the distance. So kinda-sorta maybe...

Meanwhile back at the marsh, another guy with a "go anywhere" pro-drive learned that ain't exactly so. Water situation is flat depressing.
Rick

Postby Darren » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Likewise enjoyed the ride along, Rick. Mudhole's indeed looking good, given the givens. Hope rain shows soon

Is alternative hunting some non-rented rice?
Darren

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:39 pm

Not even sure there will be an option at this point. Could be I'll sleep in for teal.
Rick

Postby Darren » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:58 am

Rick wrote:Not even sure there will be an option at this point. Could be I'll sleep in for teal.

Come on east, we'll at least have water, no guarantees of teal.
Darren

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Appreciate it, but haven't entirely given up on the mudhole yet and hit it another lick today. Cane gauges I made up for the boathouse and by my blind both agreed the marsh had dropped nearly a half inch since I set them Friday, but I'm telling myself they just floated up that much out of the soft bottom.
011.JPG

Saw nary a duck there or traveling to and from.

Did see some snake art on Friday's spoil:
013.JPG

Incredibly boring, OK "depressing," way to spend a day, particularly when so much of the hole appears too shallow for the sludge to settle into. Going to try holding off most of the coming week to see if any more water is forthcoming.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:12 am

When you soil over, you're introducing air. I'm letting it out.

"Black dirt" flotant is humus being held up by CO2 released by the bacteria decaying it into dirt dirt, and thorough stirring lets much of that trapped gas out so it can sink. (While a single pass or two with a boat is much more apt to break it up a bit and let what was inclined to float but held down by its intertwined fibers and the weight of dirt dirt pop up.) Let enough gas out, and if there's water enough for the slurry to settle under, it will. But as long as the water is warm enough for the bacteria to metabolize humus, CO2 will be produced and accumulating and the process will probably need repeating.

It isn't until water temperatures get low enough for the bacteria to go dormant that the flotant it creates begins to settle on its own and stay down until warmer temperatures return.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 am

Never heard of it, but new ones come and mostly go all the time. Only new Thornwell area camp I'm aware of is Tim Lytel's (sp?), and I've heard it's to be a membership deal.

May have to call 'em about lining up a hunt or two.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:26 am

Just had a guy walk in my office to tell me the BW are pilling up in Thornwell. He was out there this weekend on a couple of farms. I'm a little concerned about these early arrivals, but it is what it is.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:43 am

This is pretty much "normal" arrival time for our area, at least by my preseason log records. I'm hearing of a few off Cherokee Rd just west of Thornwell from folks living and farming that area, but not a whole lot yet. Not a north wind in the 10 day forecast, so I doubt we'll see too many too soon.

Drove the Humble Rd section SW of Gueydan that's holding water again Saturday and saw none.

But it usually seems like I'm late to the teal and speck spotting games...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:23 pm

The 20’s of August is usually when I see teal on my pond in north central LA, haven’t seen any yet but I usually see them pretty often in dry years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Ericdc wrote:The 20’s of August is usually when I see teal on my pond in north central LA, haven’t seen any yet but I usually see them pretty often in dry years.

Next time the N win blows. Looking at the forecast I don't see anything but dry.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Ducaholic wrote:
Ericdc wrote:The 20’s of August is usually when I see teal on my pond in north central LA, haven’t seen any yet but I usually see them pretty often in dry years.

Next time the N win blows. Looking at the forecast I don't see anything but dry.

Accuweather showing a north wind on Monday Sept 10.......if anyone puts any stock in such a distant forecast. We got burned by early, potent fronts last year so I'm just fine with not having them right now. The sightings and reports I'm hearing of sound about on par for right now.

Up side is that easterly/SE wind patterns will keep rain chances in the picture for those that need it, at least closer to the coast. Looks like some decent chances rest of this week and into weekend so hope some of you who need it see it
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:42 am

Heard from a Thornwell friend who's heard from a friend that there's a big concentration of teal off Nibblet Rd. west of 99. (Perhaps what Dave's Thornwell informant was into?) But I've yet to spot more than "maybe teal," and the grapevine is spooky quiet.

Naturally, given last year's early disappearing act, we'll see that as a good thing - unless they don't show up in force until after September, as has been the recent case, as well.

Pretty sure it's a sin that I find myself following Weather Channel reportage of possibly relevant systems off Africa with a hopeful eye.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:57 am

Rick wrote:Heard from a Thornwell friend who's heard from a friend that there's a big concentration of teal off Nibblet Rd. west of 99. (Perhaps what Dave's Thornwell informant was into?) But I've yet to spot more than "maybe teal," and the grapevine is spooky quiet.

Naturally, given last year's early disappearing act, we'll see that as a good thing - unless they don't show up in force until after September, as has been the recent case, as well.

Pretty sure it's a sin that I find myself following Weather Channel reportage of possibly relevant systems off Africa with a hopeful eye.

You're looking way too far, keep eye on eastern Gulf next week. Last models I saw showed it could be at least a rainmaker, just hopefully not a destructive one.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:00 am

Rick wrote:Heard from a Thornwell friend who's heard from a friend that there's a big concentration of teal off Nibblet Rd. west of 99. (Perhaps what Dave's Thornwell informant was into?) But I've yet to spot more than "maybe teal," and the grapevine is spooky quiet.

I hoping you get rain, but i'd rather not see it in the form of a hurricane. A low wind, tropical rain event without a saltwater push would be welcomed. We're low as well, and I'm not looking forward to the possible struggles associated with prepping the blind next weekend.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:01 am

Darren wrote:

You're looking way too far, keep eye on eastern Gulf next week. Last models I saw showed it could be at least a rainmaker, just hopefully not a destructive one.

I saw that, and as a rain maker, it would be welcomed.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 am

I'd not wish a hurricane on anyone, but "a" rainmaker isn't going to cut it.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:29 am

Rick wrote:I'd not wish a hurricane on anyone, but "a" rainmaker isn't going to cut it.

Get Doug to put you a pump, taking water from that cut off of the intracoastal canal.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:47 am

We can't even pump onto the Marceaux, because whoever ran that pump last year left the bucket off the exhaust and water got in the cylinders.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Rick wrote:We can't even pump onto the Marceaux, because whoever ran that pump last year left the bucket off the exhaust and water got in the cylinders.

AW man!! that sucks. I assume the exhaust fell apart? It was in decent shape when we were there. I actually patched it and welded a new flapper on it while we were there.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:18 pm

DComeaux wrote:I assume the exhaust fell apart? It was in decent shape when we were there. I actually patched it and welded a new flapper on it while we were there.

Top of the muffler rotted out after you left without building a shed over it.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I assume the exhaust fell apart? It was in decent shape when we were there. I actually patched it and welded a new flapper on it while we were there.

Top of the muffler rotted out after you left without building a shed over it.

:lol: :lol: That was my next project, but I got the boot.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2018-2019