Postby Darren » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:34 am

yea i bet so, radar is lit up up that way

grrrrrrrrrr
Darren

Re: 2018-2019 Season Log

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Date: 11/12 Mon

Time: morning

Cloud Cover: heavy clouds with perhaps an hour of rain later in the hunt.

Wind Direction and Velocity: from light SW to moderate or better NE

Temperature: from shedding cloths to wishing they weren't too wet to put back on as the front passed

Moon phase: waxing 25%, but by far the darkest boat ride we've made

Special Notes: got a serious break with worst rains passing north of us

Waterfowl Activity: Mighty slow for nearly the first hour before picking up considerably until 7:30, after which nothing moved, except a few jacks shaken loose by the rain. During the period of movement, there was an extremely high "migratory?" flight of ducks large and small, but that ended about the same time the lower, mostly blue-wing, flight did. Also saw the most jacks we have to date.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Took the Stanley Deceiver to break down what little big duck success we enjoyed, but it was nearly impossible to get them down and in before someone somewhere shot and blew them out. Blue-wings worked the best they have to date, and we even passed a number of ringneck chances while they were flying, because the guys thought "jacks" sea ducks and heard they were bad eating.

Hunters: 2, brothers from Florida, Keith and JB

Guns:

Malfunctions:

Dog(s): Must of dropped one in an ant pile, as Marsh picked it up, spit it out and ignored it completely thereafter.

Special Equipment: SOS

Curses: Only that the once a year duck hunters didn't get enough chances to fill.

Kudos: Super nice guys, who killed more this morning than in three Arkansas mornings last year. So they weren't too disappointed by our failure to fill.

Birds By Species: 9 blue-wing teal, 4 gadwall, 1 mallard and 1 ringneck
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Nice haul!

Who's cooking in camp of late?
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Not a bad haul, regardless. We'd be more than satisfied with that take.

All of my talk of duck sausage has seemed to keep the scaup away this year. The lack of divers today over the last couple of years is very obvious for us. We did however see a few handsome bufflehead drakes this weekend.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Darren wrote:Nice haul!

Jenny Rose is back and up to form. Super fine vegetable soup this morning.

As for our haul, I've the same fellows again tomorrow and am praying for big ducks to take some of the sport out the predicted high winds, as shooting teal just isn't their game...
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Rick wrote:

As for our haul, I've the same fellows again tomorrow and am praying for big ducks to take some of the sport out the predicted high winds, as shooting teal just isn't their game...

Think we're going to give it a go as well in our kidney pond, though looks like I may be subject to more lingering rain than you......and with a much longer (and more interesting haha) boat ride to go with it.

Look forward to seeing Jenny Rose back in action in early January......and same for joining you then as well!
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Darren wrote:yea i bet so, radar is lit up up that way

grrrrrrrrrr

It’s a beautiful thing... :D
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:

Think we're going to give it a go as well in our kidney pond, though looks like I may be subject to more lingering rain than you......and with a much longer (and more interesting haha) boat ride to go with it.

Look forward to seeing Jenny Rose back in action in early January......and same for joining you then as well!

Rick, it appears he only goes for the food.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Me, too.
Rick

Postby MARSH BEAR » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 am

Rick I see you are still shooting blue wing teal, all ours have left. We only killed a handful Saturday and that was 6 blinds hunting. I wish they were still in our area - we could have used them Sunday.
MARSH BEAR

Postby Deltaman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:58 am

Most of the birds we saw in Venice were bw teal as well. It is usually gw teal that are thick on the opener, but we saw very few of them last weekend. Maybe a late nesting season for them this year?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ericdc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:00 am

Deltaman wrote:Most of the birds we saw in Venice were bw teal as well. It is usually gw teal that are thick on the opener, but we saw very few of them last weekend. Maybe a late nesting season for them this year?

More water in Arkansas and north Louisiana to hold them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:55 am

Ericdc wrote:
Deltaman wrote:Most of the birds we saw in Venice were bw teal as well. It is usually gw teal that are thick on the opener, but we saw very few of them last weekend. Maybe a late nesting season for them this year?

More water in Arkansas and north Louisiana to hold them

Stop holding the birds.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:21 am

We will stir them Saturday

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:34 am

Ericdc wrote:We will stir them Saturday

:thumbsup:
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Date: 11/13 Tue

Cloud Cover: heavy to misting near quitting time

Wind Direction and Velocity: NW STRONG

Temperature: 40 something that felt colder after a couple hours in the wind

Moon phase: 37% waxing

Special Notes:

Waterfowl Activity: Saw absolutely nothing that appeared to be flight/migrating birds, though I suppose something may have been hidden by the clouds. Had enough birds early on that younger or more experienced folks could have gotten out of the wind in an hour or so, but virtually nothing crossed our part of the marsh between 7:30 and 9:30 curfew. (Making it a very long two hours.)

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Though the guys shot a bit better today, the wind pretty well knocked them out of the game with teal and jacks - which probably made the big birds fighting the wind to get to us all the more irresistible to them.

Hunters: 2, Keith and JB again.

Guns:

Malfunctions:

Dog(s): The bug was beaten by a chipped jack in deep water. But made up for it with a spoon sailed way the hey off.

Special Equipment: Spinners couldn't hold their positions against such wind and splasher went unused.

Curses: Just not the kind of conditions my guys needed to fill out, and the brothers took turns breaking early on three nice bunches of big ducks trying to get in. Told 'em, "Folks wouldn't pay for it if it wasn't exciting." - but wanted to cuss.

Kudos: Have seen folks do less with more, and these were pleasant company. Plus JB got a band

Birds By Species: 4 bw teal, 2 gadwall, 2 gw teal, 1 mallard (banded), 4 ringnecks and 1 shoveller
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Rick wrote:Waterfowl Activity: Saw absolutely nothing that appeared to be flight/migrating birds, though I suppose something may have been hidden by the clouds.

Same on my end....hoped on hope that I was missing some arriving flights above the cloud deck but wasn't promising.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:12 pm

This duck weather sure stirs the sole. I want to say more but I will refrain...
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:45 pm

DComeaux wrote:This duck weather sure stirs the sole. I want to say more but I will refrain...

Been my experience that when I'm right about "duck weather," it's a lucky guess.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:This duck weather sure stirs the sole. I want to say more but I will refrain...

Been my experience that when I'm right about "duck weather," it's a lucky guess.

Same for me and many as of late....and it's soul
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 pm

DComeaux wrote:...and it's soul

Wasn't gonna be the grammar Nazi.
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:Rick I see you are still shooting blue wing teal, all ours have left. We only killed a handful Saturday and that was 6 blinds hunting. I wish they were still in our area - we could have used them Sunday.
other members are steady shooting bwt this week at our place. They like whatever they found. Although, they are our #1 or #2 duck every year, and never leave. People always say, they’ll leave when it gets cold... negative, they stick around on our ridge

BGkirk

Postby Darren » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm

BGkirk wrote:
MARSH BEAR wrote:Rick I see you are still shooting blue wing teal, all ours have left. We only killed a handful Saturday and that was 6 blinds hunting. I wish they were still in our area - we could have used them Sunday.
other members are steady shooting bwt this week at our place. They like whatever they found. Although, they are our #1 or #2 duck every year, and never leave. People always say, they’ll leave when it gets cold... negative, they stick around on our ridge

That's handy, bet they get perty!
Darren

Postby BGkirk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Darren wrote:
BGkirk wrote:

That's handy, bet they get perty!
and smart!!!

BGkirk

Postby Rick » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Date: 11/14

Cloud Cover: heavy

Wind Direction and Velocity: NW less strong than yesterday

Temperature: 40-something

Moon phase:

Special Notes:

Waterfowl Activity: Very discouraging, not just because our "flight" was even shorter than yesterday's, but because there were no high "new birds" seen, despite a much higher ceiling. Had a very few green-wings come by, the biggest band of which bumped HARD off the west spinner and nearly as few blue-wings. Also had our first pair of mottleds over the pond and a very few little bunches of mallards look.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Generally good response to both Deceiver and MVP.

Hunters: 2, Troy and Paul

Guns:

Malfunctions:

Dog(s): Marsh had a very easy morning

Special Equipment: Found that the west spinner was pretty well centered by a shot yesterday but is still working well.

Curses: We let a pair of mottleds get out from six or eight feet over the decoys early on, and I forgot I was wearing a mask and bowed to six or eight mallards dropping "too high" over the back of the blind, only to hear them flair from plenty close enough overhead and get gone with the wind before we could react. That and the lack of birds, not just working but coming into the area.

Kudos: Nice guys to share a slow morning with, in part because they were so complimentary of Marsh when he handled away from two on the water to work a long chipped blind.

Birds By Species: 5 blue-wing teal, 1 green-wing teal and 1 mallard
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:05 pm

Things are freezing fast up here right now. The large pond across from my house was nearly 100% open yesterday. This morning the 7 mute swans had just enough open water for them to swim in with the ducks and geese sitting on the ice staying away from the bullies. It only got a little above freezing today and will be low 20's again tonight with snow/rain coming in Thursday afternoon into evening. Nothing to move a ton of birds, but hopefully enough to move some. Deer hunting tomorrow and Friday. Then Saturday - Friday I have the best blind at the club. This is the week I've been hoping/expecting to kill some ducks. The weather might cooperate. With a little luck, I'll have a couple of your poorer days. :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:14 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:With a little luck, I'll have a couple of your poorer days. :lol:

Well, I hope you - and everyone - will have one of our better days.

Here, we've the same NW wind predicted for tomorrow and can only hope some big birds are riding it. Or the that the southerly shift Friday draws little ones to the marsh. That, and more of our screwed up Zone system opens for ducks this weekend, which should stir what's there...
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:With a little luck, I'll have a couple of your poorer days. :lol:

Well, I hope you - and everyone - will have one of our better days.

I'm realistic. I've never got a DIY limit. Ducks every day would be a very good week for me. A day where I get 4 mallards thrown in would make it great. Any other species would be a surprise this time of year.

Late December I'm going on a layout hunt on Lake Erie. That's when I hope to experience one of your better days.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:49 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Late December I'm going on a layout hunt on Lake Erie. That's when I hope to experience one of your better days.

"Been there, done that," literally, and think big water layout diver hunting like green timber hunting: something every waterfowler should experience at some point. (But don't miss it a lick.)
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Went to the marsh yesterday evening to help a fellow and my first body of, largely blue, geese by the Klondike Fire Dpt.. Gone already this morning.

Spoke with Bill Daniels at G&H, and he said Lacassine Land's sucked, too. So whoever's got 'em can walk proud.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2018-2019