Re: This and that...

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 am

Welp.....maybe it were, maybe it werent

Neat to see ducks no matter

Will keep an eye out for unusually early specks on our Bunkie trip Sunday :lol:
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:44 am

Should be thick by now. Read on the internet that Bunkie's their new hotspot.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:25 pm

Having absolutely zero artistic aptitude or ability, I hate painting decoys.

But I got it into my head that three bright drake pintail make-overs of some G&Hs from my first (circa '70s) spread have been of some service, and since one was shot up beyond salvage last season and the other two polka-dotted with shot patches, I decided to break out my remaining three drakes and re-do them along with the polka-dotted ones.

Passed some off-season and didn't turn out as funky as my newly-blued mallard drake heads - at least in the shadows of my shed:
033a.jpg

Briefly considered giving some ringnecks I retired as ineffective in the mudhole some years back a face-lit, but had little trouble talking myself out of it...
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:54 pm

Sand bag as you will, those pins look great. Look forward to seeing them in the mudhole
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Distance and low light are my friends.

Praying no one shoots these, 'cause I'm not up to doing them again any time soon.

And wait until you see my drake blueheads!
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:02 pm

From the factory:

Capture.JPG

Think they'd be pretty proud of you! Almost as proud as they are of their dekes, given the pricing.......goooood night.

Noticed the pintail feeder butts are ON SALE for $45 a pair, down from $55. Granted, those I own have been the best feeder butts of my collection, but shheeesh!
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Darren wrote:...as proud as they are of their dekes, given the pricing.......goooood night.

Noticed the pintail feeder butts are ON SALE for $45 a pair, down from $55. Granted, those I own have been the best feeder butts of my collection, but shheeesh!

Made in the USA. Their early decoys looked a whole lot better than their current ones, but only my pintails and teal lived up to G&H's reputation for durability. My over-sized mallard drakes all split down their back seams and the keels broke off all my over-sized Susies. My standard mallards were more consistent and drakes and Susies, alike, cracked along the edges where their sides and bottoms met.
Rick

Postby Johnc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 am

Those repainted pintails look damn good as do the back of those specks
Johnc

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:57 am

Johnc wrote:...as do the back of those specks

Again, distance and poor lighting are their friends. Airbrushing kicks my ass, and the arts of smooth transitions and detail with it remain well beyond my grasp (sprig were mostly brushed). Just getting the specks "close enough" gave me a whole new level of appreciation for the little Chinese kids supposedly knocking out the factory versions, much less the good taxidermists' fish.

Currently have 13 flocked Dakota drake heads that, even after much experimentation, came out bluer than expected, at least in part because of ham-handed airbrushing, and am having an easier time convincing myself to give them a go as it than try to make them "right"...
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:48 am

Blue Heads, Green Heads, same difference :lol:

So long as not Blue Bills........
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am

Darren wrote:Blue Heads, Green Heads, same difference :lol:

So long as not Blue Bills........

Ut, oh...
008.JPG
Rick

Postby MARSH BEAR » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:05 pm

looks like a blue bill to me :lol:
MARSH BEAR

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:52 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:looks like a blue bill to me :lol:

Am hoping that when the masking take comes off after clear-coating, the yellow bills that stood the sun much better than the flocking the contrast will help tone down the heads' overall blue hue a bit. Seemed to with my test heads:
004.JPG

But we'll see...
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:24 am

Look plenty close to life like to me for what you're looking to do

If they're swimming amongst them studying up close.......you're doing it wrong.
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:37 am

Went to the marsh with Ed this morning to check out some aerial spraying results and pump out and cover our blinds (thereby increasing the serious Gulf storm chances exponentially). Found the pilot missed the pond cresent he was supposed to do at Clyde's, skimped on the back blind (which was the spot in greatest need) and either missed the area Ed said he and Isaac had directed him to spray in our "refuge" south of Clyde's or was redirected(?) to do most of his spraying between Isaac and Clyde's ponds. Will be interesting to see if what was done bumps up the easterly marsh blinds' take or just screwed the back blind.

Was relieved to see no mistake was made at my blind and my marsh-scaping remains as hoped:
005a.jpg

and the black dirt in the pond isn't nearly as bad as some years - at least so far:
009a.jpg

Pond looks tiny from the blind, as the "bank" flotant is, of course, still encroaching and the blind island continuing to grow, but both are things I'd much rather address manually than with poison.

Aside from the disappointment of how little was sprayed where needed most to benefit the back blind, it was sweet to be in the marsh and see a few birds, even if only woodies and whistlers.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:30 am

With only a month to go, looks like you're well ahead of what could be.
Darren

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:46 pm

At what point are you going to start working at opening the (mud)hole up? Couple weeks before?
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Yep, early next month.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 am

Heard my first believed reliable local teal report this morning of 20 spotted over Dixie in Klondike yesterday.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:56 am

Triaged my September marsh rig this morning and found seven more shot ones than I had sorted out at pickup. May have to start tucking them all up against the blind and, hopefully, under line of fire.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:24 am

Rick wrote:Triaged my September marsh rig this morning and found seven more shot ones than I had sorted out at pickup. May have to start tucking them all up against the blind and, hopefully, under line of fire.
:lol:

Salvageable? Ever do the Great-Stuff injection method for those that are particularly shot up instead of patching each hole individually?
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 am

Haven't tried it myself but have heard that even the two part foams eventually water-log. And know some of the canned stuff seems to pretty quickly.

In any event, I patched 16 with 5200 yesterday and should be good through September 2019...
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:03 pm

Rick wrote:............... and should be good through September 2019...

You say that, but you don't know who all is coming through your blind just yet.

All could survive to serve in Sept 2020, or........

Wasn't it not long ago you mentioned taking a party that included a fella who asked if he could shoot your dekes if no real ducks came in? :lol:

P.S. Anyone able to reach out to Olly about getting 2019-2020 logs set up? I sent a PM but no response, hope all is OK with him.
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Darren wrote:

P.S. Anyone able to reach out to Olly about getting 2019-2020 logs set up? I sent a PM but no response, hope all is OK with him.

I’ll send him a text. Texted back and forth with him a couple times two or three weeks ago when I was out on his general vicinity. Sounded like all was good. Said he’s still loving living out on the west coast.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:38 pm

Duck Engr wrote:
Darren wrote:

I’ll send him a text. Texted back and forth with him a couple times two or three weeks ago when I was out on his general vicinity. Sounded like all was good. Said he’s still loving living out on the west coast.

:thumbsup: Good to hear
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:10 pm

Duck Engr wrote: Said he’s still loving living out on the west coast.

Probably involved with that ANTIFA bunch up that way... :D
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Darren wrote:Wasn't it not long ago you mentioned taking a party that included a fella who asked if he could shoot your dekes if no real ducks came in? :lol

John's then-16yr-old grandson, who I hope to see again, since it will mean John's still able. Hell, if that's what it takes to get John out again, he can shoot all of my September decoys. (Love John dearly, but don't know about getting that much of my first string regular season spread shot up...)
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:16 pm

IMG_0028.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:34 pm

Tol' y'all the bluewings got whacked in that Montana hail storm.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm

:lol:

Our Canada goose limit got bumped up from 2 to 3 for the regular season :thumbsup:

Now let's hope the weather cooperates.

A number of our late season pits didn't get any crops planted at all. I think enough crops are in and doing well enough food won't be an issue to hold the birds once they arrive.

For the fields that didn't get planted, they are going to mow the weeds and put in rye grass. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Once covered with snow it doesn't really matter. I'm definitely curious to see if the geese zero in on that grass when there is no snow on the ground. Might have to go down there early season if we get a warm snap and see if we have any birds using those grass patches. Maybe it will attract them like the golf courses do.
SpinnerMan

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2018-2019