SpinnerMan 2018-19 Log

Re: SpinnerMan 2018-19 Log

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:30 pm

November 17 (Killed every duck we saw)

Hunters: Myself and Steve L.

Temps in the low 30's with snow ending just before shooting time.

Waterfowl Activity: Almost zero.

We saw very few geese. Saw a big flock of sandhills. And saw exactly 1 duck all morning and I killed it. So I won't be going tomorrow, there are no ducks left. :lol:

On the plus side, it was my first ever bufflehead :thumbsup:

HenBufflehead.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:11 pm

Not everyday you bat a thousand.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:24 pm

November 25 (Rain, rain, rain)

Hunters: Myself and Jose

Temps around 40 and started raining early and remained pretty steady all morning.

Waterfowl Activity: Tons of geese in the area and very few ducks.

We had geese roosting all around us. I was calling and coaxing them hoping they would come our way when they got up to go feed. About 7AM Jose says here they come with a small flock getting up heading our way. Another small flock heads out right behind them. About 15 birds in all. I'm waiting and waiting for him to shoot to avoid shooting the same bird. Finally, I decide I need to shoot. So of course, we shoot the same bird. One swings towards the blind and I drop that one.

I get out of the blind to take a leak. Here comes another flock that swings in front of the blind. I got caught with the wrong gun in my hand. Jose drops one out of that group. That one and the one I got were both banded. My 4th local band of the year. His has the same prefix so it too was a local band. Mine was a big bird and was surprised that it was a young of the year male. :shock:

Nov25TwoBands.jpg

Lagniappe: This was probably my last water hunt of the season. Snow storm tonight into tomorrow and then lows in the low teens for the next couple of nights. Time to hunt the fields around the cooling lake.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Nice hunts spinner. I just saw the weather for you guys up that way for the week. It looks brutal.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:37 am

Congrats on the bands!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:29 am

DComeaux wrote:Nice hunts spinner. I just saw the weather for you guys up that way for the week. It looks brutal.

We got maybe 2 inches, but a lot of rain before that and it was a slushy mess shoveling. To the north they got some pretty big totals. Now comes the cold which hopefully pushes the ducks down. Hopefully they get some more snow up in WI to give us a big push of geese that should head straight to the cooling lakes with the snow we have in northern Illinois. Like Goldilocks says, it's not too deep and not too little, but seem just right if we get enough cold and snow in WI to move them out. It might be enough to push birds out of northern Illinois which should be enough for decent hunting.

Deltaman wrote:Congrats on the bands!!!

Thanks. This has been a great year for the geese. I'm one shy of my personal best year in terms of numbers and if this weather holds goose hunting is just getting started.

Prior to this year, I had 2 local bands which for where we hunt and the number of geese I get is actually quite low. They band a lot of geese near our club. I definitely moved that number much closer to average this year.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 am

November 30 (Ducks)

Hunters: Morning: Myself, Jose, and Elliot. Afternoon: Myself, Jose, Bryan, and Bob.

Temps around 30 and rising. Not what we want this time of year. Sunny with periods of cooling lake fog.

Waterfowl Activity: Most ducks I've seen in a few years. Did not see a single goose.

Took my first trip to hunt the fields around the cooling lake. Unfortunately with the warm weather and rain what I was hoping was a three day weekend of hunting will likely be just Friday :cry:

So for the first trip to Braidwood, we had a few kinks to work out. I forgot that this time of year the draw time was 6:00 and not 6:30. Fortunately Jose didn't so when I showed up 5 minutes after the draw, I was able to just jump in with him and Elliot. But since we were the only 3 there, it didn't really matter.

The pit we took is the furthest from the club house. A good 20 minute drive. We drove separately because Elliot had to leave around 11AM. About 5 minutes away he calls and asks if we got the key to the pit :oops: Jose drops me and all the stuff off and returns to the clubhouse to get the key.

When he gets back to the clubhouse, our names have been erased from the sign in shack, new names put up and the key to our pit is gone :lol: Bryan and Bob showed up after we left thinking the draw time was 6:30, seeing nobody and the key still hanging, assumed we had hunted the day before and forgot to erase our names. :shock:

Jose gets a hold of them, sorts out the mess. Meantime Elliot and I are at the pit seeing a few birds, which is rare to see ducks that early. Sort out the circus, get all set.

About every hour we'd have a nice flock of mallards come by. Usually sneaking getting in closer than we'd have liked because of lack of focus and too much talking. Most flocks worked, but just wouldn't fully commit. Better shooters would have killed a few more ducks, but we got 3 mallards before Elliot had to leave.

Bob and Bryan asked if they could hop over when Elliot left which they did. They were seeing nothing in their field. Things continued pretty much the same. Nice big flocks of mallards putting on a good show, but never fully committing. Poor shooting not putting down what we should have. We ended up with only 2 more mallards, but we did have a great show. Some of the flocks worked for a longgggg time before leaving the seen.

Too much calling was the problem I think. While they would come back to the come back call, we needed to lay off. We did that with the last couple flocks and they seemed to come in much better. One group we called the shot too seen. From down in the pit they looked good, but when we stood to shoot it was clear we screwed up and didn't drop any out of big flock. It was a great day of hunting with great guys. Numbers should have been better, but other than that :thumbsup:

And right now it is pouring down rain which will turn the fields to a muddy disaster which is why I'm typing this and not hunting.
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:33 am

Good to see y’all finally had some ducks to work spinner! Read like a pretty good time in the blind
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Good to see y’all finally had some ducks to work spinner! Read like a pretty good time in the blind

It was nice to do some real duck hunting with a lot of ducks. I'm pretty new to field hunting ducks and it's a lot different than hunting them over water. Not to mention I'm used to ducks in 1's and 2's, may 5's and occasionally 10's. To see ducks in the dozens up to 10's of dozens is amazing. Especially when they are all within a 100 yards of you making multiple passes.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:19 am

The up and down weather has screwed up the hunting for me lately. Too warm to hunt the fields around the cooling lake. Too cold to hunt the water. Was contemplated playing in the ice this morning for one last time. Warm weather and rain opened everything up. Current temp is 14F. So its freezing fast. However, checked the logs at the club last night. About 1 duck per every 3 to 5 hunter-days :( Decided to not get up and brake ice, so I put the tin can (my wife's name for my little boat that I used to hunt ducks) away for the winter. Water hunting is officially over. Water decoys will be stowed later this morning.

Excited about next weekends trip to Lake Erie. Temps look good, but the wind forecasts concern me a bit, but those forecasts are terrible that far out.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Excited about next weekends trip to Lake Erie. Temps look good, but the wind forecasts concern me a bit...

Some days it's better to be the tender and do your ducking with the dip net than laying out...
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:05 am

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Excited about next weekends trip to Lake Erie. Temps look good, but the wind forecasts concern me a bit...

Some days it's better to be the tender and do your ducking with the dip net than laying out...

I hope we don't have any of those days.

Where we are going, it looks like we should have no trouble getting in the lee in bays or of islands no matter which direction the wind comes from, but I'd rather not have to deal with that.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:39 pm

December 14 (Lake Erie Day 1)

Hunters: Myself, Jeff and Norris

Temps in the 30's, almost no wind, and varied from cloudy to sunny.

Waterfowl Activity: Pretty good number of bufflehead, bluebills, and goldeneye moving around.

First day out on Lake Erie was pretty disappointing. The lake was almost flat and I think this made the birds uncooperative. Saw decent numbers but most showed zero interest in the spread.

On the plus side, I got my first drake bufflehead :thumbsup:

Three of us got 4 ducks. 2 bufflehead, 1 bluebill, and 1 goldeneye. :(

Big change in weather tomorrow. A pretty strong blow, so hopefully that turns our fortunes around.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:58 am

December 15 (Lake Erie Day 2)

Hunters: Myself, Jeff, Norris, and John

Temps in the 30's, with a strong NE wind that limited our options.

Waterfowl Activity: Terrible to decent numbers of bluebills, and goldeneye moving around.

Second day out on Lake Erie started off horribly. After about 2 hours of seeing almost nothing. The guide offered to call it a day and cut us a deal if we wanted. We decided there was no point to go back and sit in our room. We abandoned the layout hunting and went and set up on a far shore where we had seen the few birds moving.

We didn't see a ton of birds, but what we saw responded well and we shot well. Ended up with a decent hunt. 3 Goldeneye and 9 bluebills.

Day2Group.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:10 am

December 16 (Lake Erie Day 3)

Hunters: Myself, Jeff, Norris, and John

Temps in the 30's, with a moderate NE wind to start going to dead calm

Waterfowl Activity: Slow.

Last day on Lake Erie. With reports around the area not good. There just aren't the number of birds there should be this time of year. After talking at the end of the previous days' hunt, we had decided to go back to the same piece of shoreline. In order to secure this popular stretch, the captain and mate got up very early and ran out and put out a few dekes and some lights. They ran back and picked us up at a better time. He cooked us a nice breakfast on the shore :thumbsup:

First hour was a bust :shock:

Then we had a flurry of activity for about an hour including a big flock of redheads that buzzed us at marginal range. We actually knocked 3 of them down. We lost all three cripples :evil: We had 3 goldeneye and a merganser come around and we dumped all three goldeneyes. One was crippled. Ended up losing that one. Earlier we had killed a goldeneye dead in the decoys that was floating away with the current. When they went to chase the cripple, the dead floater had disappeared. There are sometimes eagles on the island that steal dead birds, but we saw none. :roll: Would have had a lot better days numbers if we wouldn't have lost almost half of all the ducks we shot. :(

Then it went dead, dead, dead. One bonus is later in the day we had a hen canvasback decoy beautifully. First time I've ever seen a can shot. 2 of us shot at at it, so who knows, but a definitely nice little perk to a fun day of hunting, but not the greatest numbers taken.

Ended with 1 can and 5 goldeneye.

Day3.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:20 pm

An Erie hunt without bills, who woulda thunk it?
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Interesting hunts. Would definitely be something different for me.

Scaup numbers were down this year with the limit on those proposed for (1) in 2019. I don't know that I like the delay in time of a year to make changes to bag numbers, especially when the birds had a bad nesting season this year.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Rick wrote:An Erie hunt without bills, who woulda thunk it?

Not me. I thought the bigger worry would be making sure everyone only shoot 3. :lol: That was wishful thinking.

I think we saw one flock of bluebills yesterday.

And of all the other groups we heard of. We seemed to have come out well above average. Ouch!

Another guide came to take our spot after we packed up yesterday because his crew had not pulled the trigger. I heard of another group that shot 3 times for zero birds.

Another group fought the seas to get out to a far island that is nearly always a guarantee of success and I believe they shot 1 duck.

There was one hot boat not far from us on Friday. Other than that, you didn't even hear much shooting.

DComeaux wrote:Interesting hunts. Would definitely be something different for me.

I think a layout hunt on big water is definitely something every duck hunter should do. When it works out, you have a lot of birds that end up in your face.

It just didn't work out.

I don't think I mentioned in my log, but the guy hunts 2 man layouts. The first day, I spent over 5 hours straight in the layout. :o Norris and I started out in the layout. After about 2 hours and 3 ducks, the captain swapped out Jeff for Norris. After a couple more hours, the captain woke up Norris and asked him if he wanted to hunt. He asked if it had picked up. When the answer was no, he said nah. I even said to Jeff that I'll bet Norris doesn't want to come back out. I also said, the next duck, I'm going to have them bring me a snack when they pick it up. Damn was I hungry by the time they called it a day :(
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:35 am

In Florida with my wife for a break from winter. I'm seeing more ducks here than most of my duck hunting. I had a flock of redheads flyover me on the beach the first night. We ran into a couple dozen mallards on the intracoastal waterway. And saw a couple more redheads the other day.

FloridaRedheads.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:40 am

January 12 (Snow Day)

Temps in the low 30's with a moderate ENE wind and snow varying light to fairly heavy (got about 3 inches while hunting)

Waterfowl Activity: Almost non-existent

There are still a fair amount of resident geese in the area and they have been picking up a few here and there for the last couple weeks.

We took turns about every hour going out to clean off the snow from the decoys. The only real action we got, my turn to sweep the decoys and I hear "goose" and hit the snow. Out of the corner of my eye I see a single looking good coming our way. It drifts out of view. Apparently it gave one pass in range, but Jose thought it was going to come in and didn't take the shot :(

That was pretty much it all day. We saw maybe a dozen geese all day. There were geese in the area that we could here on and off all day. Right at sunset the snow had almost ended and we were out of the blind and saw a pretty good pile of geese go in to roost about a quarter mile behind us. Apparently the bulk had roosted to our north and flew out the north to feed.

I checked the roosting areas to our south on the way home. Froze over and snow covered. So no geese where we have our best chances of intercepting birds heading out.

Lagniappe: My #$%@ truck :twisted: Friday I had planned to go hunting. I was literally in the field ready to set up when I got warning lights on my dash. I had this same problem 2 months ago that they had "fixed." I immediately went home and dropped my gun and blind bag. If I turn the truck off it may or may not restart :shock: I was first in line when they opened. The last repair was an expensive computer module. This was a different expensive computer module. :twisted: I was assured that this would take care of it. Sunday I get gas before heading out to scout for geese around the cooling lake. Mother #$%@. The same warning is going off. #$%@, #$%@, #$%@. Even if I find geese, I can't risk turning my truck off in the middle of nowhere. The snow didn't move any geese. We didn't get much to our north where we really need it to move geese. Now I'm sitting waiting to see what they say about my truck. 6 months out of warranty and I'm having chronic problems :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: To add insult to injury. I was backing into my garage and decided to take some stuff out. Opened the back hatch on my cap, took out the stuff. Oh, look at all that water on the floor, so I swept it out, forgot to close that hatch and backed into the garage and busted it up :oops: :twisted: :oops: :twisted:

SnowDay.jpg

I do like hunting on the snow. It's just pretty being out.
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:37 am

SpinnerMan wrote:January 12 (Snow Day)

Temps in the low 30's with a moderate ENE wind and snow varying light to fairly heavy (got about 3 inches while hunting)

Waterfowl Activity: Almost non-existent

There are still a fair amount of resident geese in the area and they have been picking up a few here and there for the last couple weeks.

We took turns about every hour going out to clean off the snow from the decoys. The only real action we got, my turn to sweep the decoys and I hear "goose" and hit the snow. Out of the corner of my eye I see a single looking good coming our way. It drifts out of view. Apparently it gave one pass in range, but Jose thought it was going to come in and didn't take the shot :(

That was pretty much it all day. We saw maybe a dozen geese all day. There were geese in the area that we could here on and off all day. Right at sunset the snow had almost ended and we were out of the blind and saw a pretty good pile of geese go in to roost about a quarter mile behind us. Apparently the bulk had roosted to our north and flew out the north to feed.

I checked the roosting areas to our south on the way home. Froze over and snow covered. So no geese where we have our best chances of intercepting birds heading out.

Lagniappe: My #$%@ truck :twisted: Friday I had planned to go hunting. I was literally in the field ready to set up when I got warning lights on my dash. I had this same problem 2 months ago that they had "fixed." I immediately went home and dropped my gun and blind bag. If I turn the truck off it may or may not restart :shock: I was first in line when they opened. The last repair was an expensive computer module. This was a different expensive computer module. :twisted: I was assured that this would take care of it. Sunday I get gas before heading out to scout for geese around the cooling lake. Mother #$%@. The same warning is going off. #$%@, #$%@, #$%@. Even if I find geese, I can't risk turning my truck off in the middle of nowhere. The snow didn't move any geese. We didn't get much to our north where we really need it to move geese. Now I'm sitting waiting to see what they say about my truck. 6 months out of warranty and I'm having chronic problems :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: To add insult to injury. I was backing into my garage and decided to take some stuff out. Opened the back hatch on my cap, took out the stuff. Oh, look at all that water on the floor, so I swept it out, forgot to close that hatch and backed into the garage and busted it up :oops: :twisted: :oops: :twisted:

SnowDay.jpg

I do like hunting on the snow. It's just pretty being out.

Ed, that story would make a great "last laugh" article at the end of a hunting magazine :o . Know it was frustrating, and hope you can get'r fixed quickly.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Have the busted truck blues, myself, 'cept mine's 20 years out of warranty.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:04 am

They replaced all the wiring between the computer modules. They actually worked on it quite a while. They said they found a problem with the wiring, but instead of trying to find the particular problem, they replaced it all. And charged me $0. :shock:

I'm feeling a little better at the moment, but we still need to go a while without problems before I will have full confidence.

I'm on a crap run with my machines. I've had to have my wife's car fixed, my truck 3 times, and my boat twice in the last 2-3 months :o

On the plus side, geese finally showed at the cooling lake yesterday. Nothing I can do until Friday, so let's hope they stick around for the rest of the month.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:57 pm

January 18 (Ducks Galore)

Hunters: Myself and Chris

Temps right around freezing. Dead calm to moderate NE wind. Overcast all day. Snow cover patchy about 70%.

Waterfowl Activity: Ducks, ducks, ducks, everywhere ducks. Very few geese.

We didn't see a goose until around noon. Saw a few flocks between then and when we picked up at 2:30. One flock gave us a look, but never looked like they were that interested.

But ducks, OH MY GOD!!! All day long. There were thousands, probably 10,000 or more feeding in the next field over. Non stop ducks coming, going, just flying around every where. It was quite the show. Almost makes up for the lack of geese.

This is what we got to watch nearly the whole day.

SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Wow what a treat spinnerman! If you could kindly remind them it’s chilly up there and they should relocate one state south, that’d be super.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:28 am

See what happens when the government quits paying our border guards.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:39 am

Rick wrote:See what happens when the government quits paying our border guards.

:lol:

Duck Engr wrote:Wow what a treat spinnerman! If you could kindly remind them it’s chilly up there and they should relocate one state south, that’d be super.
That's about a mile from a large cooling lake (Braidwood) that hold a ton of ducks and geese when it freezes up up here and there is enough snow to the north to push them to here, but not too much snow around the area to push them further.

The ducks have no problem with the cold, but too much snow and they go. The goose will tolerate deeper snow than the ducks. The last week the conditions are perfect for the ducks, but not enough snow to the north to push many geese down.

Right now we are on the trailing edge of a snow storm. The totals don't look anywhere near what I was hoping for to push the geese down in big numbers, but hopefully it will push some birds down. It might be enough to send the ducks packing. What I saw yesterday it wasn't worth driving in a snow storm to go hunting. Normally, that is the absolute best time to go. If you are questioning one's sanity on the way down, you are usually in business when you get there. I'm going to keep an eye on the sky this morning and if I see geese moving south, I might hit it this afternoon. I'll definitely be out tomorrow regardless. I was expecting a lot better yesterday. Although, the huge number of ducks, this the exact conditions we want for them. Everything froze up and a moderate snow cover. You get that. It will be stacked with ducks. That wasn't the most ducks I've seen down there although it was the most I've seen that close.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:16 pm

January 20 (Shoulda been here yesterday)

Hunters: Myself, Jack, Evan, and Leo

Temps in single digits to start, mostly sunny, and a little bit of wind.

Waterfowl Activity: Ducks are gone and the geese either didn't show or sat tight.

Full moon, snow on the ground, and cold and clear. It's not what you want. They can feed all night and they tend to sit tight when cold and sunny.

We had a moderate snow storm yesterday. I never saw any geese moving south, but apparently few that were there got cooperative. Average blind got about 5 geese. Should have gone yesterday because other than a few distant geese and one big wad of maybe 200 birds that went out en masse off the lake and headed north (we were east) we didn't see hardly anything. Saw a few snow geese fly over which is unusually, especially this late in the year. Far as I know, not a single goose taken by anybody.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:41 am

January 26 (Finally fit to hunt)

Hunters: Myself, Chris and son Dominic

Started out cold and sunny ended up snowing heavily

Waterfowl Activity: Ducks flying almost nonstop. Very little goose activity outside an hour of good activity.

Tuesday I got something that totally screwed up my digestive system. This put me out of commission for a few days including missing out on hunting Friday. I got up Saturday morning late just to see how I felt before I headed down. Seemed well enough, so I got down to the clubhouse around noon. Chris and Dom had headed back to the clubhouse to see if anyone had shot out in hopes of moving up to a better blind. Since nobody had we decided to head back to the pit they hunted in the morning.

Tons of ducks flying around. We saw a few geese, but not a lot until around 2:30. Then a decent number started moving when the snow first started. A few flocks showed some interest, but nothing really committed.

Most blinds killed geese.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:03 am

January 26 (Last Canada goose hunt was cold)

Hunters: Myself, Jack, Jeff, and grown son Justin

The thermometer on the truck said -7F when we started out setting decoys.

Waterfowl Activity: Lots of ducks and geese with oxygen masks.

My last hunt of the regular waterfowl season (I have a snow goose trip to Iowa planned in March).

A big turnout for the last Sunday of the season. We drew late and got a blind that hasn't produced much this season. Not a bad blind, but this year I think just because of the low numbers, the better blinds have been more noticably better. Getting a limit in a blind looks the same even though one blind could have killed 100 and another only 20. We didn't have a single day where the club limited out or even a day with good turnout where every blind killed birds.

After setting up, we went to the local pancake breakfast we saw advertised. When it is this cold, geese don't get up early, so no reason to sit in a cold pit.

After enjoying breakfast and hanging out for awhile, we headed out. It wasn't long that the big flocks of south bound geese in the stratosphere began. Still tons of ducks flying around although, they too where way up there for some reason.

Nothing in the stratosphere showed any interest, but we say a ton of geese.

The only excitement was a single goose came flying our way maybe 15 feet off the deck. About 100 yards short, he lands. He hung out there for a couple hours. We finally get three birds showing some interest and he decides to get up and give us a fly by the end of the blind (I was in the middle). Why the need to do that with the only working birds of the day. But that's been my goose season. Early on, I could do no wrong. But December and January were a complete bust. I didn't fire a shot at a single goose since November 25th.

Some blinds did real well and others were a bust.
SpinnerMan

PreviousNext

Return to SpinnerMan 2018-2019