SpinnerMan 2018-19 Log

Re: SpinnerMan 2018-19 Log

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:41 am

March 1 (Arkansas Snows Day 1)

Hunters: Myself, Jeremy, Jesse, Jeff B., Nick, and Brian with guide Jim and his dog Mick

Weather: Cold for this time of year and overcast all day.

Waterfowl Activity: Slow for snows.

The weather has the snow goose hunting as screwed up as all the other hunting. We were supposed to be hunting in Iowa, but they are still covered with snow and froze out. Most of us rescheduled and went to Jonesboro, Arkansas. Jose and Jeff G. opted to go Iowa on the 15th. I think we made the right choice, but time will tell.

They have had tremendous rain and flooding so everything is muddy if not water covered. We were set up on a levy on a rice paddy.

We didn't see a ton of snow geese, but most of what we saw played. All season they have struggled with birds that just don't want to work right and you get one look and they are off. That's pretty much how it went. So most shots were longer than hoped.

Ended the day with 6 Ross. And the theme of the the weekend was it should have been more.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:54 am

March 2 (Arkansas Snows Day 2)

Hunters: Myself, Jeremy, Jesse, Jeff B., Nick, and Brian with guide Jim and his dog Mick who were joined by Jeff (a solo hunter), his guide and the farmer they were leasing from (who left after a couple hours).

There were a lot of geese in the fields in an area they couldn't hunt because of flooding. So the night before they set up a spread and put everybody into that field. We had told them the night before if the solo guy wanted to join us we were fine. He was a nice guy to spend a couple days with.

Weather: Cold for this time of year and overcast all day.

Waterfowl Activity: A huge flock was feeding about half mile behind us and another about a mile in front of us. Activity was better, but not what you expect for snows.

If specks were still in season, we would have definitely raised some hell on the specks.

Same deal. Most just didn't want to work. We got quite a bit of shooting and did OK. It was a very fun day even though the numbers were not what you are hoping. This outfitter normally has killed 5,000 snows by this time of year. When we left, he was around 860 :shock: Our day was one of the better of the season as opposed to being unremarkable :(

Ended with 13 Ross and 6 snows.

Got to watch Mick make a couple really long blind retrieves. Including one about 300 yards or more having to cross 2 ditches to get there. Although, the exact spot of the goose was well marked for Jim to handle to because an eagle was munching down on the dead goose.

MickRetrieve.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:04 am

March 3 (Arkansas Snows Day 3 - last half day)

Hunters: Myself, Jeremy, Jesse, Jeff B., Nick, and Brian with guide Jim and his dog Mick and Jeff and his guide.

Weather: Cold for any time of year started out about 33 and raining went to sleet and then snow before it stopped around 10AM.

Waterfowl Activity: Less than the day before but had a number of nice flocks tease us pulling up just short or apparently outside our effective range.

We had 2 blues and a snow come in early on the right (I was on the left) come in on a suicide run. I don't know if they were sleeping or what happened. Guide told them to shoot, they didn't. Then the birds swung around the left side and I thought the guide said don't shoot. I assumed there must have been a speck and not just blues because I had no clue why they didn't shoot. We definitely had a failure to communicate.

Got to watch quite a few specks do it just as we wished the snows would have.

At one point I dozed off and I wake up in the layout and there are about 25 Ross cupped up and coming in just out of range. Although they hung up a little long and I should have stayed asleep. It would have saved me a few shells.

We end up with 3 Ross and 3 snows including two nice mature blues. We should have easily had double that if not more between communication break downs and poor shooting.

Also, my gun didn't go bang on a couple occasions :evil: It always gives me grief somehow snow goose hunting.

Even though the numbers weren't anywhere near what we wanted. We had a good trip with great guys.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:36 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Even though the numbers weren't anywhere near what we wanted. We had a good trip with great guys.

That's a good bottom line.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:47 am

Always fun to get away with friends, especially on a hunting trip. There are always memorable instances, usually funny, that y'all can razz each other about on the next trip. Glad y'all killed some birds and extended your season!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Previous

Return to SpinnerMan 2018-2019