Preseason 2018-2019

Re: Preseason 2018-2019

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:18 am

DComeaux wrote:"Fox2Now US National Weather Service Saint Louis Missouri #stlwx Radar can see a great many things besides weather. Tonight, it appears to be tracking a "V" formation of geese flying south...in rather large numbers...out of far southeast Illinois and into western Kentucky. Move your cars indoors if you are under the flight path or you may need a carwash tomorrow :) Kudos to former inter n Meteorologist Nick Hausen at WSIL-TV for pointing it out to me"

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisHigginsFOX2/videos/262429767783944/

It appears they can't separate the geese from the chaff.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/opinion/columnists/jon-webb/2018/12/11/source-mysterious-radar-blip-over-illinois-kentucky-still-mystery/2280916002/
When large, storm-like blips flashed across radar in Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky, the National Weather Service was stunned – because it wasn’t raining a drop.

All kinds of guesses flared up on social media: a flock of birds; aliens; residue the government uses to control the weather, etc.

But a tweet from Eyewitness News meteorologist Wayne Hart on Tuesday morning seemingly cleared the fog.

Citing an unnamed pilot, he said Evansville air traffic control claimed a military C-130 released a stream of chaff – radar-jamming material sometimes used during training exercises – a few miles northwest of Evansville.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Seems this is what at least one leader of a Louisiana Delta Waterfowl chapter thinks of the duck migration issue. This his side of the conversation with a Flyway Federation member on DW's FB page.

48378675_10209839890714490_2833288276180205568_n.jpg

48053398_10209839891194502_6430790653252206592_n.jpg

48269208_10209839890274479_8566417627419770880_n.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Johnc » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Wow is all I have to say

Going back in my hole.
Johnc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:23 am

Arkansas Wildlife Waterfowl Report - Dec. 12, 2018
https://www.agfc.com/…/arkansas-wildlife-waterfowl-report-…/

Waterfowl Hunters Still Awaiting Big Push of Ducks

LITTLE ROCK – The weather north of Arkansas seemed to be conducive to pushing the migration of ducks south into The Natural State over the past weekend, but most reports fielded early this week indicated the wait is still on.

"I have not seen a notable push," said Arkansas Game and Fish Commission biologist Jacob Bokker, who reports weekly from the east-central Arkansas region, which includes such public hunting areas as the Steve N. Wilson Raft Creek Bottoms WMA. The AGFC's Terrence Teel, who reports on the WMAs in northeast Arkansas all the way down to Bayou DeView, said Wednesday, "No great flocks that I am aware of yet."

Reports from the Big Lake National Wildlife Refuge in the northeast corner of the state were that the NWR was holding an average number of ducks for this time of year. In south-central Arkansas, observers noted a good amount of ducks in all units of Hallowell Reservoir in Arkansas County (see photo above). And in the St. Francis Sunken Lands WMA in northeast Arkansas, a fair number of birds reportedly are in the area this week, with large numbers of geese.

Water is in ample supply when the big numbers eventually reach Arkansas. There are no dry greentree reservoirs this year before mid-December, and in most spots reported this week there is 100 percent coverage. Where the Waterfowl Report notes that an area is "100% flooded," that means that the entire acreage has water coverage; it doesn't mean that there is too much water to negotiate the area with waders (or that the water is too high for hunting), contrary to some questions we've fielded from would-be waterfowl hunters.

Nevertheless, the large amount of rainfall Arkansas saw last week raised levels of rivers, lakes and bayous throughout the state. The Felsenthal NWR in deepest south Arkansas, thanks to the rising Ouachita River, has plenty of water. The river is also flooding Beryl Anthony Lower Ouachita WMA, and ducks are reportedly using the backwater areas. The WMA water coverage is less than 25 percent as of Monday, which is one of the less covered hunting areas in the WMA system.

The AGFC's Jason Carbaugh told Ducks Unlimited, "In Northeast Arkansas, all of our wildlife management areas are now 100 percent flooded, and all of our greentree reservoirs are at full pool."

Little seems to have changed from Arkansas since the November waterfowl aerial survey, which showed fewer than 900,000 ducks in the state. Meanwhile, reports from Missouri last week by waterfowl observers said the Show Me State had around 900,000 mallards using public managed properties, with peak numbers in the northern part of the state.

Andy Raedeke, a waterfowl biologist with the Missouri Department of Conservation, told Ducks Unlimited, "We certainly are at or near peak levels. While the numbers are impressive, it's almost equally remarkable that the ducks are still here considering what we've had for weather."

Thus brings the big question among waterfowlers of why hasn't that wintry weather across the midwest pushed those peak numbers of birds further down the flyways.

Luke Naylor, the AGFC's waterfowl program coordinator, has been expecting Arkansas to begin to see bigger migration numbers starting mid-December. "We're in that middle ground right now where ducks are just bouncing around," he said last week. "I don't hear any great reports from anywhere that folks are seeing any big influx of ducks. This is truly not that abnormal for right now. The normal peak migration is still a week or so away."

With the White and Cache rivers running fairly high after recent heavy rainfall, ducks may be focused more on those major water sources, observers note.

We did receive some good reports late last week of a few excellent rice field hunts in Arkansas County, which were helped by the heavy overcast and misting-to-raining conditions that lingered through Saturday. However, on the bayous and in green timber of that region, it tended to be a mixed bag of wet hunting: ringnecks, woodducks and mergansers mixed in with gadwalls and an occasional mallard.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:40 pm

DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:09 pm

scover.gif
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:33 am

Will be rolling out in a couple of hours headed for God's country. Just got a text from the guy I lease from telling me he's cooking marinated pork tonight and said "Y'ALL COME EAT". I sure hope we have a few birds in the morning. The weather is spectacular.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:30 pm

DComeaux wrote:Will be rolling out in a couple of hours headed for God's country. Just got a text from the guy I lease from telling me he's cooking marinated pork tonight and said "Y'ALL COME EAT". I sure hope we have a few birds in the morning. The weather is spectacular.

Sounds great! Good luck
Darren

Previous

Return to DComeaux 2018-2019