Preseason 2018-2019

Re: Preseason 2018-2019

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:00 pm

I came home for lunch today, like I do just about every day, and found an interesting development. The lights were on in every room, and my bedroom and bathroom looked like a war zone. I backed out of the house and called the police, not knowing if the ass wipes were still in there. Every drawer was emptied and thrown on the floor, both closets in the bathroom had been rummaged through, and a lock box was dumped on the floor. I had a tool case opened and on the floor at the entrance of my closet. The only thing we've found missing so far is my coin jars that were in my closed entertainment center, and a watch I kept in a drawer in the bathroom.
I slowly walked into my bedroom with one eye open hoping I'd see my guns, and they were there. Other than a big mess to clean up, and fingerprint dust all over a few items, we ended up okay. This just pisses me off to no end....
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:38 am

Sounds like they were mostly pill hunting. Will be rooting for the cops.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:34 am

That sucks. That happened to my wife and I about 20 years ago. My wife was the one that came home to find the mess. So sorry to hear it.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Sitting g here at the camp under a long lived rain storm. Numerous showers along th coast. :D
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Eat worms, Comeaux.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:25 pm

:lol:
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Going back out late this evening for more of these.
20180831_195815.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:35 pm

After today, there will be no worry about water levels for us. I't has not stopped raining here today (in the marsh)with heavy bands at times. Water levels have risen quite a bit.

Rick, are you getting any of this?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:46 pm

Not a single hard shower all day, but off and on light rain settling into a steady slow "soaker" since mid afternoon. Took a ride down to Cherry Ridge in mid morning, and was disappointed by how little sheet water puddling was showing along the way, but the local gauge says we've now had 1.37" somewhere in or near town as of a couple minutes ago. Lacasine Refuge river gauge is showing a more promising bump, but it'll take that rise quite a while to back into our marsh.

Beats snot out of no rain, in any event.

Still can't claim a certain-teal sighting, so there's at least to look forward to.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 pm

We got home around 5:30 this evening and it's very dry here compared to where we came from.

Watched a little teal show this morning while sitting in the truck in between crab net checks. They were cuttin-up in the rain, and those blue patches really showed up on those hard turns. I think I have my wife on her way to I'ding and distinguishing waterfowl from other winged things. :lol: There's a big group of black bellied whistling ducks on the refuge, and still a few mottled.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:38 am

Ditch says we had a good rain during the night, and a hard one hit as I was sitting down to browse the board just now - and, thankfully, just after stepping back inside with the dogs. Fear you may well be right about storms to come...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:23 am

"no birds" are the reports from our marsh. The neighbors have a marsh hoe cleaning boat runs and have been out all week in the marsh. Blake and I will be out there in the morning putting a little brush on the blind, so we'll get to see the nothing first hand.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:10 am

Sorry to hear of your thievery problem Dave, very frustrating, and hope they catch the bastards!!!!!
I'm not gonna fool with the teal tomorrow for the opener. Haven't taken the time to scout too much, and the reports I've been getting haven't been very positive. Did just have the aluminum duck boat my stepson made me sandblasted, and will be ordering a custom paint out of LA that is both a primer and a paint to cover the metal. Ready to get this custom boat in the water, and will post pics once done. Good Luck to y'all in the morning!!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:55 am

Deltaman wrote:Sorry to hear of your thievery problem Dave, very frustrating, and hope they catch the bastards!!!!!
I'm not gonna fool with the teal tomorrow for the opener. Haven't taken the time to scout too much, and the reports I've been getting haven't been very positive. Did just have the aluminum duck boat my stepson made me sandblasted, and will be ordering a custom paint out of LA that is both a primer and a paint to cover the metal. Ready to get this custom boat in the water, and will post pics once done. Good Luck to y'all in the morning!!!!!!!

Yeah it is frustrating, and the feeling of being violated makes me mad.

Our season doesn't open until next weekend, so tomorrow will be just a little prep work. I'll see how this season goes, and it may be my last for teal in the marsh.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:26 pm

DComeaux wrote:I'll see how this season goes, and it may be my last for teal in the marsh.

Like to think last September wasn't representative anywhere - or it may be a lot of people's last anywhere...
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Early next week there will be a wind change to the N and slightly cooler temps after this weekends rain. Neither one of those conditions will hurt my feelings.

Teal hunting for me is just passing time. If I kill a few all the better.
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:01 pm

What a weekend! Battery for the go devil died after the the first load of brush and we got pulled in. Made the drive for a new battery and went back out. After installing the second load of brush, and just after saying, or yelling to Bill as we were nearing the boat dock, how nice it is to have a motor that runs well, the motor quit. I got it started again and made it to the landing, but the in line fuel pump crapped out.
Blake made the two hour round trip to grab another pump, but what he brought back wasn't what we had disscused. We need a 2 to 4 psi rating and he had picked up a 5 to 7. I had my doubts but installed it anyway so we could hopefully finish up. Well, Blake and I cut more brush, loaded up and he pushed off. As I got turned in the right direction the motor flooded out and fuel was running out of the carburetor overflow fuel hose. We loaded up and went back to the camp where I indulged in many adult beverages.
After getting home today, we now have the correct pump and will have some work to do pre dawn next Saturday. I'll get the pump installed on Friday evening, and we'll launch the boat. The blind has to be bailed out and the "back" of our blind is still naked. We'll see what happens.

I got a video Saturday from a guy who's lease is just a mile to our SW. It wasn't a very clear video but I could see little clouds of something in it. After asking him if it was teal, his answer was "thousands", and this guy is a very credible source. Most I talked to working on their blinds Saturday didn't see any birds. I, or we didn't see any teal in our run in or out, but we didn't get much of a chance to sight see. As I mentioned, WHAT A WEEKEND!
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:07 pm

DComeaux wrote:What a weekend! Battery for the go devil died after the the first load of brush and we got pulled in. Made the drive for a new battery and went back out. After installing the second load of brush, and just after saying, or yelling to Bill as we were nearing the boat dock, how nice it is to have a motor that runs well, the motor quit. I got it started again and made it to the landing, but the in line fuel pump crapped out.
Blake made the two hour round trip to grab another pump, but what he brought back wasn't what we had disscused. We need a 2 to 4 psi rating and he had picked up a 5 to 7. I had my doubts but installed it anyway so we could hopefully finish up. Well, Blake and I cut more brush, loaded up and he pushed off. As I got turned in the right direction the motor flooded out and fuel was running out of the carburetor overflow fuel hose. We loaded up and went back to the camp where I indulged in many adult beverages.
After getting home today, we now have the correct pump and will have some work to do pre dawn next Saturday. I'll get the pump installed on Friday evening, and we'll launch the boat. The blind has to be bailed out and the "back" of our blind is still naked. We'll see what happens.

I got a video Saturday from a guy who's lease is just a mile to our SW. It wasn't a very clear video but I could see little clouds of something in it. After asking him if it was teal, his answer was "thousands", and this guy is a very credible source. Most I talked to working on their blinds Saturday didn't see any birds. I, or we didn't see any teal in our run in or out, but we didn't get much of a chance to sight see. As I mentioned, WHAT A WEEKEND!

Wow what a saga, hope the new pump is the ticket. Countdown is on....
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:39 am

It may be important to know that Blake's their official whipping boy.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:02 am

Rick wrote:It may be important to know that Blake's their official whipping boy.

A self induced designation.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:09 am

Duck Engr wrote:That sounds like my luck DC. Wow that’s a rough one. Did you slap Blake in the back of the head for his goof?

In his defense, it was the only thing in three stores that was left on the shelf and it was a desperation buy. It's a nice eldelbrock pump, but it's just too much for the motor.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:21 am

Murphy's Law is still alive and well Dave, and I reckon it is better he showed his face prior to the opener, rather than in the middle of a hunt :o Good Luck on the repair, and hope those clouds of little birds wrap you up Saturday!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2018-2019