Preseason 2018-2019

Re: Preseason 2018-2019

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:56 pm

That guy wrung its neck and boot-legged it right after the photo was taken.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Jarren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Don't shoot this if you see it this year. Just call it in. It's a Blue wing Teal.

60689.jpeg

Better not come my way! I’d for sure give him three warning shots.

LOL!! I'd probably let it go. Shouldn't be hard to pick out, that's for sure.

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Don't shoot this if you see it this year. Just call it in. It's a Blue wing Teal.

60689.jpeg

call it in? To who/for what?

What about call it into the decoys to get shot and mounted?

Call in the sighting to those that put the band on it's leg. I'm pretty sure they marked it as unique. This bird is cool, but I'd enjoy more telling of it than taking it. This bird is like the band thing for me, it's just not something I yearn for. If it happens it happens, though I do like seeing the info provided.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:54 pm

WOW.........that bird isn't gonna have a chance..........nowhere to hide!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Attention Duck Hunters: Transportation, Transplanting Roseau Cane Out of Southern Louisiana Prohibited By LDAF Quarantine

Aug. 23, 2018 – Transportation of and transplanting Roseau cane out of and within southern Louisiana parishes is prohibited as the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF) has issued a quarantine on the Roseau Cane Scale, a small invasive insect that has destroyed wide swaths of the plant in coastal Louisiana.

With teal hunting season less than a month away, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) would like to advise waterfowl hunters and fishermen of the quarantine and the threat posed by the scale.

Waterfowl hunters and fishermen also are encouraged to observe the following:

· Do not transport Roseau cane.
· Do not tie boats up to Roseau cane.
· Remove all Roseau cane debris from boats prior to leaving local marinas.
· Wash and drain boats at or near marinas with soapy water.

These measures will limit the spread of the scale or other vectors that could be the source of the die off of Roseau cane.

The quarantine area encompasses all areas south of Louisiana Highway 10. That begins at the Mississippi/Louisiana state line and moves west until intersecting with U.S. Highway 171 in Vernon Parish then moving south and continuing to U.S. Highway 190 in DeRidder until reaching the Sabine River and Texas/Louisiana state line.

Roseau cane is a tall wetland grass that helps protect the Mississippi River’s bird foot delta and Louisiana’s coastal region. Unlike some marsh vegetation, Roseau cane stands up well to tropical storm events. It is one of the most erosion-resistant marsh plants along the Louisiana coast. The spread of the scale could have severe impacts on the health of the state’s coastal marshes as well as valuable agricultural crops throughout the state. For more information on Roseau cane, go to http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/ro ... cale-delta .

The scale, native from China or Japan, has been identified as Nipponaclerda biwakoensis , commonly referred to as Phragmites Scale or Roseau Cane Mealy Bug. It has had severe effects on the dominant vegetation of the Mississippi River Delta. The rate at which it seems to be expanding and the severity of its impacts is alarming, according to LDWF, LDAF and LSU AgCenter biologists.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:38 pm

That'll be "interesting".
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:38 pm

DComeaux wrote:Attention Duck Hunters: Transportation, Transplanting Roseau Cane Out of Southern Louisiana Prohibited By LDAF Quarantine

Aug. 23, 2018 – Transportation of and transplanting Roseau cane out of and within southern Louisiana parishes is prohibited as the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF) has issued a quarantine on the Roseau Cane Scale, a small invasive insect that has destroyed wide swaths of the plant in coastal Louisiana.

With teal hunting season less than a month away, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) would like to advise waterfowl hunters and fishermen of the quarantine and the threat posed by the scale.

Waterfowl hunters and fishermen also are encouraged to observe the following:

These measures will limit the spread of the scale or other vectors that could be the source of the die off of Roseau cane.

The quarantine area encompasses all areas south of Louisiana Highway 10. That begins at the Mississippi/Louisiana state line and moves west until intersecting with U.S. Highway 171 in Vernon Parish then moving south and continuing to U.S. Highway 190 in DeRidder until reaching the Sabine River and Texas/Louisiana state line.

Roseau cane is a tall wetland grass that helps protect the Mississippi River’s bird foot delta and Louisiana’s coastal region. Unlike some marsh vegetation, Roseau cane stands up well to tropical storm events. It is one of the most erosion-resistant marsh plants along the Louisiana coast. The spread of the scale could have severe impacts on the health of the state’s coastal marshes as well as valuable agricultural crops throughout the state. For more information on Roseau cane, go to http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/ro ... cale-delta .

The scale, native from China or Japan, has been identified as Nipponaclerda biwakoensis , commonly referred to as Phragmites Scale or Roseau Cane Mealy Bug. It has had severe effects on the dominant vegetation of the Mississippi River Delta. The rate at which it seems to be expanding and the severity of its impacts is alarming, according to LDWF, LDAF and LSU AgCenter biologists.

Went through this last year, posted same thing, and it was included in a piece i did for La Sportsman. People still doing it
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm assuming it's okay to cut the ones along my pond and transfer to my blind?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:04 am

Darren wrote:Went through this last year, posted same thing, and it was included in a piece i did for La Sportsman. People still doing it

While I recall the scale news release, I don't recall a quarantine. Woke up at 2:30 this morning worrying about it. Seems like just one damn thing after another this year.

And, Dave, your ill-considered corn campaign I can forgive, because I don't see it gaining enough traction to go anywhere. But if I have to find another way to brush my marsh blind, your name will forever be stained by giving notice of it.
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:01 am

Dave you should be fine doing what you describe; after all it's not like they'll hunt you down and arrest for this.

Here's 2017 edition below. Doesn't specifically say "quarantine" but it's the same advisory to the public trying to keep hunters from hauling it all over

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/41510

Sept. 7, 2017 - Due to an expansive Roseau cane die off in some of Louisiana’s coastal parishes, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF), along with several of its partners, are asking for the public’s assistance to limit transport of Roseau cane and report suspected die offs.

In addition to LDWF, the LSU AgCenter, the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF), Louisiana’s Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority (CPRA) and the Coastal Wetlands Planning, Protection and Restoration Act (CWPPRA) are requesting aid from the public.

The Roseau cane scale, a non-native tiny insect that consumes the plant, may be contributing to the die off that has been found in 11 Louisiana coastal parishes, including Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Tammany, Jefferson, Lafourche, Terrebonne, St. Mary, St. Charles, Orleans, St. John the Baptist, Tangipahoa and in southern Mississippi. Waterfowl hunters and fishermen are encouraged to do the following:

These measures will limit the spread of the scale or other vectors that could be the source of the die off. The public is also encouraged to report areas of stressed cane and the presence of the Roseau cane scale. A short web based survey is the best way to report those observations. To participate in the survey, go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PhragmitesSurvey .

The survey is short and asks for the location of the Roseau cane as well as a picture of the infected Roseau cane and scale (if present).

Roseau cane is a tall wetland grass that helps protect the Mississippi River’s bird foot delta and Louisiana’s coastal region. Unlike some marsh vegetation, Roseau cane stands up well to tropical storm events. It is one of the most erosion-resistant marsh plants along the Louisiana coast. The spread of the scale could have severe impacts on the health of our coastal marshes as well as valuable agricultural crops throughout the state. For more information on Roseau cane, go to http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/ro ... cale-delta .

For more information, contact LDWF biologist director Todd Baker at tbaker@wlf.la.gov or 225-765-2814.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:34 am

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:Went through this last year, posted same thing, and it was included in a piece i did for La Sportsman. People still doing it

While I recall the scale news release, I don't recall a quarantine. Woke up at 2:30 this morning worrying about it. Seems like just one damn thing after another this year.

And, Dave, your ill-considered corn campaign I can forgive, because I don't see it gaining enough traction to go anywhere. But if I have to find another way to brush my marsh blind, your name will forever be stained by giving notice of it.

HAHAHA!! Travel at night, use a tarp, wear black.

I would have to say this, what I'm engaged in I feel is not "Ill considered", and I'd not bet on that traction thing you mention. Some see a mountain, I'm looking at an ant hill. I ran over a few yesterday evening with my lawn mower.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am

I'm going to pull out my teal decoys this weekend to see how they look after their summer vacation. I have thoughts of rounding up some mallard hen decoys and throwing those in the mix for teal season. MOJO"S may need new batteries. I don't remember the last time I bought those, just been charging.
Going to get my weed eater prepped with the tree blade for those roseau cane, that come with a side order of mealybugs.

Seems everything duck is going to hell in a handbasket.
Last edited by DComeaux on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am

Are y'all actually seeing the mealy bug infestation where you hunt? Know that after it was announced last year, I looked for it South of Venice when we hunted the opener, and saw it on Roseau where we were hunting, but have not seen it in AL.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 am

Deltaman wrote:Are y'all actually seeing the mealy bug infestation where you hunt? Know that after it was announced last year, I looked for it South of Venice when we hunted the opener, and saw it on Roseau where we were hunting, but have not seen it in AL.

I was afraid it was happening around us last year due to their shabby condition, but it must have been the salt water push from those two or three tropical systems. They all look really good and thick this year. I really haven't looked closely for those bugs, but I will in a couple of weeks.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Deltaman wrote:Are y'all actually seeing the mealy bug infestation where you hunt? Know that after it was announced last year, I looked for it South of Venice when we hunted the opener, and saw it on Roseau where we were hunting, but have not seen it in AL.

Thats said to be where it originated in La. Heard some recent reports though that it's looking better down there
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:11 pm

johnc wrote:Let me tell you,if by the grace of God I see that bird,it will be the FIRST and only bird I am shooting at.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Say's the taxidermist.....
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:30 pm

johnc wrote:Let me tell you,if by the grace of God I see that bird,it will be the FIRST and only bird I am shooting at.

I'm with you. And it will be the first bird that I ever get mounted for myself (I got one for my Dad at his request).

And it will be the only bird. A buddy of mine made that mistake on a neck collared goose. He thought he put it down for the count and shot his second goose. Only problem was that it wasn't DOA. Long story short, we ended up watching it fly away :shock:
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:59 pm

2018-2019 winter snow forecast. Snow covered popcorn.

40046274_2105429322822734_1242067369061253120_n.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:16 pm

DComeaux wrote:2018-2019 winter snow forecast. Snow covered popcorn.

God I hope so. We will definitely kill a lot more geese and if it comes early enough a lot more ducks.

Park ducks and geese love popcorn almost as much as bread. But once the park ponds freeze, then they have to go to the cooling lakes and that's where I'll be waiting in the corn fields :mrgreen:

I do have to wonder, what is below normal snowfall in central Florida? I've spent a lot of the last two winters in Clearwater. The last time they got snow was in the 70's. Can you get negative snow? :lol: I'll bet a lot of money they get normal (zero) or more snow and not below normal :mrgreen:
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:29 pm

I actually laughed out loud........
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:53 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:I hope it freezes all the way to Alexandria, LA, but stays nice and balmy in southwest LA. That actually happened a few years ago, i don't think it got below 40 degrees all hunting season in our area, and it was GOOD hunting.

I agree. 40's for lows all season would be great.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 pm

Much rather last winter's weather - only starting in November.
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:11 am

Rick wrote:Much rather last winter's weather - only starting in November.

To be more specific January’s Weather
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:49 am

Ducaholic wrote:
Rick wrote:Much rather last winter's weather - only starting in November.

To be more specific January’s Weather

January was fun in the fields, and Rick's straps were green.

Don't forget, though, there was a sizable snow event in early December as well, December 8th or so.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:55 am

Much needed rain this morning on the SW marsh and fields.

Screenshot (2).png
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:18 am

Glad you guys got some rain. We got a great soaking rain that started last night and was still raining this morning. We definitely needed it. Not as bad as you all, but we were definitely drier than ideal.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 am

Looks good on radar, but while it might be raining in the marsh, here in town I could, and probably should, be mowing.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2018-2019