2018-2019 Season Log

Re: 2018-2019 Season Log

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Yea if you've got an opinion in the matter, be sure to pass it along to Tommy Tuma ttuma@wlf.la.gov; this proposal is not at all based on the population of the species.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:11 pm

Teal Season 6 hunts 14 teal

(2) Green wing (12) Blue wing

Regular season - 24 hunts 143 birds

54 - Green wing
4 - Pintail
10 - Blue wing
19 - Gadwall
42 - Scaup (one banded)
7 - Shoveler
3 - Mottled ducks (one banded)
2 - Mallards
1 - Wigeon
1 - Bufflehead

My son called me just a bit ago while driving home to tell me about what he was witnessing. He was under a massive goose migration over the western Atchafalaya basin. For those that know, he was on top of the whiskey bay bridge westbound and told me there were large V's of fowl for as far as he could see north and south. This continued on his drive up to Henderson. He said the large flocks were turning west.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 am

Word from Bunkie farm yesterday evening was very little fowl around; some geese, no ducks.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:43 pm

Blake and I made our way down to the camp last night to get an early start at removing the decoys and piroge from the marsh. When we were getting in the boat we could hear the constant sound of green wing whistles coming from the marsh south of us, which made us smile. In the mile to our blind we flushed at least a thousand GW teal and other others species from the mud ditch and adjacent marshes. This we saw all the way to the blind.
As we pulled up to the blind I saw we had disturbed some a few hundred yards south of our blind location that took flight in LARGE swarms, circled a bit and went right back down. The big duck show was minimal at best but we did hear pintail and saw a few gadwall and shoveler, with the drakes of the latter looking impressive. The water was very low and the GW seemed to like it. I had to use the pirogue,standing with a push pole in our east pond and slid through the slush to reach them. I would have liked to ride the entire property for a better look but the water was way too low for that trek with the go-devil. Been there done that. The whistling, quacks and peeps were constant while we were out there.

I would have taken more pictures if we didn't have to play in the mud. My phone stayed inside the waders until we were headed back. We'll be back out there at the end of March to fertilize our blind area. I plan to do this a couple of three times before teal season hoping to create thick, lush vegetation around the blind and surrounding area.

We made a run in to the truck with the decoys first, unloaded and returned for the piroge and other things. It seems Blake was smiling in this photo. I guess he was happy to see the birds we were flushing as we made our way back. I thought I had hit record for a video and went through the motions, front side and back, finding when I got to the truck that I had only taken this photo.
20190126_100546.jpg

It's over! We washed the boat and decoys, packed up and headed home. Stay back from the crawfish sack.
20190126_121502.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:53 am

DComeaux wrote:The whistling, quacks and peeps were constant while we were out there.

I'm jealous: don't recall being serenaded by more than a single bird or two anywhere all year, much less getting to hear a chorus.

Didn't go any farther than Ed's, or easternmost, blind yesterday, and maybe three dozen of his usual complement of jacks and six unidentified big ducks were all we moved there. No teal at all in what's usually one of their hangouts. May all be in Grand Chenier...
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:18 pm

DC well done! Your season was not that bad after all. :thumbsup:
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 pm

Ducaholic wrote:DC well done! Your season was not that bad after all. :thumbsup:

With the lack of birds around this year we did okay, I guess. We, the combined blinds on the property, took just slightly above half the number we did last year which was way down from years past. Hopefully the water stays low in our marsh for the birds remaining time here and it makes an impression. We can only hope to start the 2019-2020 season with low water.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks Dave, really enjoyed your log, and glad that your season was more enjoyable from your new blind location. Two bands too...........schweet!!!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:39 pm

LWFC Amends Proposed Notice of Intent for 2019-20 Hunting Seasons Rules and Regulations

Feb. 11, 2019 - The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission voted Thursday (Feb. 7) to make several amendments to the proposed notice of intent for the 2019-20 hunting seasons, rules and regulations during its monthly meeting in Baton Rouge.

Among them, the commission voted to return the daily bag limit of teal back to six for the early teal season in September.

It also voted to amend the rules regarding nighttime take of nuisance animals and outlaw quadrupeds from the last day of February until the last day of August in the same year, maintaining the requirement for a permit.

The commission also clarified language in the cervid carcass importation regulation, which will prohibit transport of any cervid carcass or part of a cervid carcass originating from Louisiana lands east of the Mississippi River in East Carroll, Madison, Tensas and Concordia parishes to any other part of the state, unless it is transported in the manner prescribed in the state cervid carcass importation ban.

Finally, the commission voted to standardize limited access area rules (LAAs) and regulations for all WMAs. This amendment results in the allowance of trolling motors within LAAs on Boeuf, Dewey W. Wills and Russell Sage Wildlife Management Areas.

To view the full notice of intent and all proposed hunting season dates and regulations changes for the upcoming hunting seasons, please visit http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/action-items .

Public comment will be accepted at LWFC monthly meetings through March and/or can be submitted in writing by mail to: Tommy Tuma, LDWF Wildlife Division, P.O. Box 98000, Baton Rouge, LA 70898-9000, or via email to ttuma@wlf.la.gov until 9 a.m., March 7, 2019.

For more information, contact Tommy Tuma at 225-765-2349 or ttuma@wlf.la.gov .

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is charged with managing and protecting Louisiana’s abundant natural resources. For more information, visit us at http://www.wlf.la.gov. To receive recreational or commercial fishing email and text alerts, signup at http://www.wlf.la.gov/signup.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:32 am

See they appear to have shifted a Coastal Zone second split week to the first split and are still doing their best to both piss off the rice farmers and run the specks out of the state. I'd have been happier with four teal than those.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Rick wrote:See they appear to have shifted a Coastal Zone second split week to the first split and are still doing their best to both piss off the rice farmers and run the specks out of the state. I'd have been happier with four teal than those.

Interesting shift in the dates; likely won't make much difference to me overall but did like it how it was. Will grab them and log into my post-season thread for safe keeping
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:44 pm

News Release

For Immediate Release
Feb. 21, 2019

Public Information
LDWF
(225) 765-2465
aeinck@wlf.la.gov

$7,500 Reward Offered for Information on Shooting of Endangered Whooping Crane in Acadia Parish

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) Enforcement Division agents are looking for leads regarding an endangered whooping crane that was shot in Acadia Parish.

The crane was found with a wounded wing on Nov. 2, 2018 between Crowley and Rayne off of Monceaux Rd. The crane was taken to a vet where it had to be put down due to its injuries. The crane was then sent in for a necropsy where it was determined to have been shot in the wing.

Up to $7,500 is being offered by various groups for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the illegal shooting of this whooping crane. LDWF’s Operation Game Thief program, the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Foundation and Whooping Crane Conservation Association are each offering a reward of up to $1,000. LDWF also received a total of $4,500 from private donations.

Anyone with information regarding the illegal shooting should call the Louisiana Operation Game Thief hotline at 1-800-442-2511 or use LDWF’s tip411 program. To use the tip411 program, residents can text LADWF and their tip to 847411 or download the “LADWF Tips” app. The hotline and the tip411 are monitored 24 hours a day. Upon request, informants can remain anonymous.
LDWF with support from partners has released 147 whooping cranes since 2011 to reintroduce the birds to the state. The population is currently estimated to be 76 whooping cranes. This reintroduced population marked the first presence of whooping cranes in the wild in Louisiana since 1950. The crane in this case was released in December of 2016.

Whooping cranes are the most endangered of the world’s crane species. The Louisiana flock is designated as a non-essential, experimental population but is protected under state law, the Endangered Species Act, and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is charged with managing and protecting Louisiana’s abundant natural resources. For more information, visit us at www.wlf.la.gov. To receive email alerts, signup at http://www.wlf.la.gov/signup.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 am

Comeaux,

I expect a full report from the Lafayette meeting... :duck:
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:34 am

Ducaholic wrote:Comeaux,

I unsure of whether I'll make it or not.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 am

The robins are plentiful as of late. They must be getting out of the swamps with the water rise. Yards are full around here.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Send some west, I miss them.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 pm

Rick wrote:Send some west, I miss them.

They're really plump. :D
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:32 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:Send some west, I miss them.

They're really plump. :D

Tell 'em the worms in my yard are, too.
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:44 pm

DComeaux wrote:

:tk: :qh: :scooter:
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Ducaholic wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

I'm going.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:19 pm

DComeaux wrote:The robins are plentiful as of late. They must be getting out of the swamps with the water rise. Yards are full around here.

No robins up here. I can't imagine why. The high today was 29F. They'd need a jackhammer to get to the worms. Lows below zero forecast for this weekend so I don't see them coming home any time soon.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:24 pm

Worm sickle smoothies. They need to learn.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:02 pm

:lol:

Actually, where I work there is a lot of steam used on site. Somewhere around here there is a bunch of ground that never freezes because as soon as it warms up we will immediately see robins even in January. Once in awhile I'll see one when there is snow on the ground. Where I grew up there was a factory that we used to run the dogs behind it near where I grew up as a kid that had a bunch of buried steam lines that kept the ground thawed all winter long and there was a couple dozen robins that spent all winter long there.

Even the robins' migration is impacted by man :shock:
SpinnerMan

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:57 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

I'm going.

:thumbsup:
Ducaholic

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:32 pm

Well?
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:20 pm

Ducaholic wrote:Well?

Anti climatic. They held the comments to the reason for the meeting. There were some off topic discussions though, and one interesting one that raised a few eyebrows on flooded crops, and something Josh has mentioned over and over on his page. He was not the one to bring it up, it was a guy that was concerned about the many acres of rice he plants with no intent to harvest and hunts over it. They actually told him to be sure to get with the feds and state enforcement for an evaluation. With flooded crops it's all or nothing when it comes to hunting. Meaning, if you plant 100 acres and harvest 25, HARVEST not buffalo, It's illegal to hunt that field. Rolling any part of that field with standing crops is illegal. So this would tell me that the worry of hunting near a crawfish pond on a different property, meaning it's not part of your lease, with standing rice as crawfish feed is legal under todays law as written.
If you lease an x amount of rice land and you harvest only a few cuts and leave the remainder standing this is illegal today.

This a Fed law and after hearing this, I've seen many pictures this season of corn operations that were not legal.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:56 am

DComeaux wrote:

Meaning, if you plant 100 acres and harvest 25, HARVEST not buffalo, It's illegal to hunt that field. Rolling any part of that field with standing crops is illegal. So this would tell me that the worry of hunting near a crawfish pond on a different property, meaning it's not part of your lease, with standing rice as crawfish feed is legal under todays law as written.
If you lease an x amount of rice land and you harvest only a few cuts and leave the remainder standing this is illegal today.

Having sat with a copy of the law and gone over it with Federal Agent Philip Siragusa, I'm pretty dang sure you or your informant are badly confused, as it was he who told me we had to combine, rather than buffalo (as had been the custom), sections of headed out rice past milk stage that we wanted to clear for hunting. And the trafficking to or from "bait" part of the law is what got so much of Delta Plantation shut down some years back (though not too long after my conversation with Flip), when failed/flooded crops on just some of it had to be plowed under for insurance purposes. Not to mention why California clubs had to abandon their previously accepted practice of baiting a central portion of their property X-number of yards from their blinds.

All of which points to why I'd hate to see the law rewritten with lord knows what result beyond that your group claims to target. And perhaps the reason why a state agent through my blind a few years ago told me they don't even think about making baiting cases unless working with the feds on one.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:20 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

Meaning, if you plant 100 acres and harvest 25, HARVEST not buffalo, It's illegal to hunt that field. Rolling any part of that field with standing crops is illegal. So this would tell me that the worry of hunting near a crawfish pond on a different property, meaning it's not part of your lease, with standing rice as crawfish feed is legal under todays law as written.

Having sat with a copy of the law and gone over it with Federal Agent Philip Siragusa, I'm pretty dang sure you or your informant are badly confused, as it was he who told me we had to combine, rather than buffalo (as had been the custom), sections of headed out rice past milk stage that we wanted to clear for hunting. And the trafficking to or from "bait" part of the law is what got so much of Delta Plantation shut down some years back (though not too long after my conversation with Flip), when failed/flooded crops on just some of it had to be plowed under for insurance purposes. Not to mention why California clubs had to abandon their previously accepted practice of baiting a central portion of their property X-number of yards from their blinds.

All of which points to why I'd hate to see the law rewritten with lord knows what result beyond that your group claims to target. And perhaps the reason why a state agent through my blind a few years ago told me they don't even think about making baiting cases unless working with the feds on one.

From Goins' discussion on the radio show i'd mentioned, it is such a slippery dance he's undertaking, and could really end up angering the La (and Ark) hoardes, if not others. In the radio discussion it seemed his biggest gripe was about the quantity of birds a given crop is able to sustain, and leveraging that as the reason a particular crop being banned, not simply that it was a crop. Someone said "What about all the acres of unnaturally flooded hardwoods/acorns?" To which he responded with "well according to this book........it only can sustain X amount so it's OK, but CORN can sustain X amount plus 1 billion so it's a problem".
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 am

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

From Goins' discussion on the radio show i'd mentioned, it is such a slippery dance he's undertaking, and could really end up angering the La (and Ark) hoardes, if not others. In the radio discussion it seemed his biggest gripe was about the quantity of birds a given crop is able to sustain, and leveraging that as the reason a particular crop being banned, not simply that it was a crop. Someone said "What about all the acres of unnaturally flooded hardwoods/acorns?" To which he responded with "well according to this book........it only can sustain X amount so it's OK, but CORN can sustain X amount plus 1 billion so it's a problem".

What I wrote came straight from our LDWF officials Tuesday night. He said that certain situation I mentioned was said to be a "gray" area and would need to be evaluated.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:15 am

I don't doubt that someone from LDWF said that, know a past enforcement agent who went on to train new ones who didn't know a scaup from a ringneck.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2018-2019