2018-2019 Season Log

2018-2019 Season Log

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:25 pm

9/15/2018 Opening day of teal
Temp HOT - Wind Light SE

Equipment - (2) standard spinners. One facing N-S, and the other E-W, elevated above the marsh grass level for better visibility.

Myself,Blake and Bennett

Birds- 2 BW

Water is high on our place, too high for teal. We saw a few bunches but they had other places in mind. Like many, we got to play with the mottleds. Marsh around us that has the capability of being drained by a pump (managed private) are holding a good many birds. One of these is just a mile to our SE.
DComeaux

Re: 2018-2019 Season Log

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:59 pm

9/16/2018
Temp HOT - Wind WNW Clear

Equipment - (2) standard spinners. One facing N-S, and the other E-W, elevated above the marsh grass level for better visibility.

Blake and I

Birds- 1 BW

Less birds seen today, Everyone else quit around 7 this morning, we hung on till 8. We were the only blind to take teal on our place this weekend. As I've mentioned, the water is way too high right now, and we drain very slow. We will go out again next weekend, but I'm sure we'll have the same results.

Yesterday Blake and I went out to look for a hit bird just to our immediate north and I made the comment that I would love to sink the blind in that area. It's has small shallow ponds with wide areas of what I call "whip" grass. The grass is lush and green this year and would make good, growing blind cover.
Last night we were invited to supper at our lessors place and to my pleasant surprise he mentioned that our blind needs to move. I was going to bring this up in the near future, but was going to wait until teal season was over. We are going to ditch the boat hide and I will pirogue to the blind from the boats parking spot, yet to be determined, but far away. A hide for the pirogue will be a breeze to make. Not having to mess with roseau will be so sweet. No. more. hilton.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do for a dog box. Wood or Steel?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:38 am

Great news, that, on the blind move. And while knowing what you've in mind for a "dog box," I'd not want wood or steel. How about the bottom of a plastic barrel?
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:53 am

Rick wrote:Great news, that, on the blind move. And while knowing what you've in mind for a "dog box," I'd not want wood or steel. How about the bottom of a plastic barrel?

Good Idea! :thumbsup:
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Is there a reason he said it has to be moved? Regardless, glad it's to your favor
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Darren wrote:Is there a reason he said it has to be moved? Regardless, glad it's to your favor

I'd assume his thinking is a lot like mine when it comes to duck hunting and he knows what's sacrificed for comfort if you're not in a place the ducks really want to be. He, like me lately, have gotten lazy on this aspect, and an elevated drive up blind is not going to cut it, though I didn't have a choice last year and made the best of it. My lessor started out at that place catering to the landowner many years ago, who has since passed on, dropping him in the sunken pit and paddling back with the pirogue.

The little land we had around us has eroded and it will only get worse, leaving us in the middle of an ocean in a roseau covered hotel. I had put this off for the sake of others convenience of getting to the blind, but I think we are now all in agreement that ease and comfort don't always work out that great in the overall scheme of things.
Last edited by DComeaux on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Jarren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:Great news, that, on the blind move. And while knowing what you've in mind for a "dog box," I'd not want wood or steel. How about the bottom of a plastic barrel?

Good Idea! :thumbsup:

I’ve done this before and it worked well for us. Wrapped a little fence around it it it brushed up very easy

We should have nice marsh "whip" growing around it, and all I should have to do is loosely tie it around the drum to keep it vertical. I have wonderful visions in my head.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Wood construction leaks.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:57 am

You might be right, Corey, but most dog "boxes" in this area are sunken next to the blind to help keep the dog down out of sight. What I have at my marsh blind is generally called a dog "stand".
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:59 pm

I want Ellie as far down in that "box" as I can get her but still allow her good marking visibility. Rick is on the same page.... My lack (laziness) of attention, and obedience training in blind has made for bad habits. She likes to move around until I start calling. Then she is focused on the birds with only her tail wagging.
I'd thought she'd mellow with age, but she still has a fire inside. My son is taking her to the vet for me today for her proheart injection and Bravecto flea 6 month regiment. She looooves the VET's office, even after the heart worm treatment and stay. I think those girls give her a lot of treats.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:11 pm

9/22/2018
Temp HOT - Wind light Southeast Numerous storms in the area

Me and Bennett 1 BW

We ran from lightning produced by storms pushing in from the gulf in the first hour of hunting, as did many others. The area is pretty much void of hunters as compared to last weekend. The morning traffic is very light.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:52 pm

9/23/2018
Temp HOT - Wind 5 to 10 SE Cloudy with storms visible far to the west

Me (SOLO)

Birds- 2 BW

Spent the afternoon and evening alone, as Blake had other commitments for the weekend, and Bennett headed home early afternoon after we went out and caught a few shrimp for me to bring home.

I was surprised by a 15 to 20 bird group that came from my left and buzzed the decoys just a few minutes after LST. They had busted me and didn't respond to the call. The two birds came in as singles, and were taken in as many shots. I spotted a large group headed my may sometime after my second bird was taken, and a few near the front broke hard to the call. When I peaked out again the entire bunch were swinging over the decoys and I was sure they'd turn hard and set up into the wind straight out in front, they didn't. The group began to head out SE low level and I laid em hard with the call. They made it out a good ways before making a hard turn back in my direction. I again let them dive over me heading downwind at a pretty good clip knowing they'd whip around like others have done many times in the past....It didn't happen. They continued on to the south untouched.

I need get out of the habit of trying to get the birds 'just right". This used to be the norm for me over the years, but as of late, it doesn't work. We get busted in this blind we're in now, and I can't wait until we're buried in the marsh. Next weekend if we're lucky enough to have birds, I will not make this mistake.

My alone time was really nice this morning. I got to watch a beautiful sunrise.
20180923_070345.jpg

I was going to gift the two birds I took this morning to the guys I hunt with but they had already left. One blind took 2 and the other had 3, I think? When I got home and began cleaning the birds, grabbing a leg I noticed a stained band. I'm really glad those guy's had left, because I hadn't noticed it. Take notice of the address for guy that banded this bird.
20180923_134117.jpg

I forgot to mention that we had three big pintail drakes cupped and dropping in on the decoys yesterday (9/22). They got really close and busted us. The mottled ducks are plentiful as well, landing a few in the decoys.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:07 pm

Surprised to hear Fred banded it, thought I had heard he'd retired before then. Perhaps his last year?
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:23 am

Congrats ! Haven't heard of any being taken on my end yet this season
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:32 am

Congrats on the band Dave!!!! I ended up dove hunting instead of teal hunting Saturday, but a couple of friends killed a 3-man limit, and one of their birds was also banded, from Saskatchewan too.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Lreynolds » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:59 pm

Fred Roetker shares my hunting lease. Don't know when he officially retired, but he flew the mid-winter survey in Jan. of 2016, and I hired him as an observer/trainer for our folks in Jan. of 2017. He spends time during the season in a trailer he parks down Little Chenier Road east of Grand View. He'll get a kick out of hearing one of his banded birds was recovered nearby.
Lreynolds

Postby DComeaux » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Lreynolds wrote:Fred Roetker shares my hunting lease. Don't know when he officially retired, but he flew the mid-winter survey in Jan. of 2016, and I hired him as an observer/trainer for our folks in Jan. of 2017. He spends time during the season in a trailer he parks down Little Chenier Road east of Grand View. He'll get a kick out of hearing one of his banded birds was recovered nearby.

AWESOME! I was hoping you'd see this.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:10 am

I just got a call from a hunter in our marsh saying that there as been a big influx of teal overnight. He hunted yesterday as well but didn't see the large 50+ bunches that he saw this morning. He said it was really nice to see the birds.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 am

DComeaux wrote:I just got a call from a hunter in our marsh saying that there as been a big influx of teal overnight. He hunted yesterday as well but didn't see the large 50+ bunches that he saw this morning. He said it was really nice to see the birds.

You going this weekend I hope?
Darren

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:03 am

DComeaux wrote:I just got a call from a hunter in our marsh saying that there as been a big influx of teal overnight. He hunted yesterday as well but didn't see the large 50+ bunches that he saw this morning. He said it was really nice to see the birds.

Tol' ya they was headed your way. Glad to hear they made it and hope you've a big weekend.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Darren wrote:

You going this weekend I hope?

Yes, I'll be headed to camp this evening. I'm currently a little excited, but yet hesitant to fully commit. They could be gone just as fast as they got there. They'll no doubt head back up to meet Rick after they realize they overflew the food. ( I'm really hoping this is not the case)
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:44 pm

You'll have 'em in da pot before they get it figured out.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Rick wrote:You'll have 'em in da pot before they get it figured out.

I don't know if the barnyard grass has dropped any seed yet, but that would be our only hope is having that along the edges of the pond or in the more shallow areas of our marsh. The water is extremely high right now, and those with levees and pumps have them working overtime. Lot of fresh water.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Hopefully you'll have some around to trick into thinking there's more of interest to them there than there is. Guess the morrow will tell...
Rick

Next

Return to DComeaux 2018-2019