2018-2019 Season Log

Re: 2018-2019 Season Log

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:51 pm

9/29/2018
Temp mid 70's to start - Wind 5 to 10 NE overcast with steady light rain

Equipment - (2) standard spinners. One facing N-S, and the other E-W, elevated above the marsh grass level for better visibility.

Me Blake and Bennett

Birds- (6) 2 GW 4 BW

We didn't see the big flocks that were reported on Friday, and seems we really had no change in what we've seen all season. Not much shooting around us, but those few in the "right places" did well.

Blake caught a cleaning table shot of the birds.
Birds.jpeg

We went out in the rain and got a limit of shrimp and a few crabs. I also caught a few reds and kept one nice one for the grill.
Shrimp.jpeg

Crabs.jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:40 pm

9/30/2018
Temp mid 70's to start - Wind 5 to 10 NE overcast

Equipment - (2) standard spinners. One facing N-S, and the other E-W, elevated above the marsh grass level for better visibility.

Me and Blake

Birds- (2) BW

Looking at the radar before heading out we knew we only had an hour to an hour and a half to hunt before the large storms in the gulf to our SW made it our way, and that's what happened. We did see a few large flocks early on but had to pack up and get out. We got the decoys in the boat and made it to the camp just as it started raining. We had a couple land in the decoys one minute after LST and we gave them a pass. It was still really dark at that time.

Next weekend is the big move. We will get the pit installed in its new location, and I'm really looking forward to getting my confidence back, especially in a place where the birds really don't want to be and they just don't know it yet.

I actually turned around on the way out to get this shot, as it was the last hunt in this out of place structure. Something has happened to the roseau in our area as most are turning brown and look like they're dying. It's become really evident over the last few weeks. Those using roseau will not have much to choose from for cover, and I'm really happy we'll not have to cut those cane again for camo, hopefully never again.
Old Blind.jpg

This is the location and what you'll see when I take pictures of our new blind. The nearest patch of grass on the right is the point of a cove and we'll be tucked in back there about 6 to 8 feet from the edge of the pond. We have a small shallow pond to our rear (east), and more water for decoys to our SE. The picture is taken from the SW. We have all the lumber we need stashed at the camp and we're ready to go. I tested the area with a push pole, breaking through the the top crust I was able to get the pole down by hand to 5 or 6 feet before much resistance, so working the pit filled with water down to the right level should not be a big issue. I just wish I didn't have to wait a week to make it happen.
New blind (1).jpg

I'm going to try to get stage work photos if I can find a way to keep the camera or phone safe during this work. It'll be a bit messy.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Sure hope the new spot fills the bill.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Me too.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:30 pm

I've mentioned "barnyard grass" in some of my posts and that's what I thought we had growing in our marsh, but it's not. I took the time yesterday to get a good look at these plants and did a little research. It seems this plant is a species of cordgrass that does seed and is used as food by ducks and geese (roots for the latter), but It's just not as exciting as what I thought it was.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:44 am

Think there are a number of species of "barnyard grass," many, if not most, of which don't seem hardy seeded enough to mean much by big duck time. So you may be better off...
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 am

Looking forward to the progress pics, hope new spot piles 'em up for you. Really thankful, knock wood, we've got no blind projects on tap, just a good bit of the usual bush cutting on weekend before the opener.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:50 am

DComeaux wrote:9/29/2018

Me Blake and Bennett

Birds- (6) 2 GW 4 BW

We didn't see the big flocks that were reported on Friday, and seems we really had no change in what we've seen all season. Not much shooting around us, but those few in the "right places" did well.

Birds.jpeg

We went out in the rain and got a limit of shrimp and a few crabs. I also caught a few reds and kept one nice one for the grill.
Shrimp.jpeg

Crabs.jpeg

Glad to see that you will be in a better position to pull ducks Dave, and not have to worry about getting washed away on strong South winds. You mentioned a limit on the shrimp, and I am assuming by cast net........what kind of limit does the state impose? 5 lbs per man? a 5 gal bucket per man?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:57 am

BGcorey wrote:DC I’m curious if the Roseau scale and the ban they have on transporting it will keep us from using it this big duck season. We have 0 cattails either, guess the freeze and nutria wiped us out. We’re gonna have to get creative and wish we were in your position and not worrying about hiding platform blinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a stipulation in the ban that allows for a 1/4 mile blind radius for transport of Roseau. It was unusual to not see the trailer and truck bed loads of this stuff on the road this year.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:07 am

Deltaman wrote:
DComeaux wrote:9/29/2018

Me Blake and Bennett

Birds- (6) 2 GW 4 BW

Birds.jpeg

Shrimp.jpeg

Crabs.jpeg

Glad to see that you will be in a better position to pull ducks Dave, and not have to worry about getting washed away on strong South winds. You mentioned a limit on the shrimp, and I am assuming by cast net........what kind of limit does the state impose? 5 lbs per man? a 5 gal bucket per man?

The refuge we frequent has a 25# limit. It was 100# some years back. The shrimp we're catching now are smaller than I'd like, and I'll probably not go back for quantity until we start to see the big boys show up. I'm hoping we get a front or two in the near future, as this will trigger those big boys to make a run for the gulf. I'll just have to be lucky enough to be there when that happens.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:28 am

Gotcha! 25#'s of shrimp is a decent mess for throwing a cast net. The white shrimp showed in numbers in the upper end of our bay about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and the trout are right on their tail, as they should be. Stopped on the way home from a dove hunt Saturday, and bought 5 lbs for dinner (21-25 ct), and should just get bigger as Fall progresses.
Had a friend in Baton Rouge turn me on to a great magazine about food that is published in New Orleans. It is Louisiana Kitchen and Culture
https://louisiana.kitchenandculture.com/
and gotta say, the wife and I look forward to every issue! Made "shrimp pops"last month with some 10-12 ct shrimp we'd bought in June, and next on the "to cook soon" list will be "charred corn and shrimp Beignets". Lots of great Southern recipes, and well worth the cost of the subscription.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:46 am

Deltaman wrote:Gotcha! 25#'s of shrimp is a decent mess for throwing a cast net. The white shrimp showed in numbers in the upper end of our bay about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and the trout are right on their tail, as they should be. Stopped on the way home from a dove hunt Saturday, and bought 5 lbs for dinner (21-25 ct), and should just get bigger as Fall progresses.
Had a friend in Baton Rouge turn me on to a great magazine about food that is published in New Orleans. It is Louisiana Kitchen and Culture
and gotta say, the wife and I look forward to every issue! Made "shrimp pops"last month with some 10-12 ct shrimp we'd bought in June, and next on the "to cook soon" list will be "charred corn and shrimp Beignets". Lots of great Southern recipes, and well worth the cost of the subscription.

Lots of good eats!
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Deltaman wrote:Gotcha! 25#'s of shrimp is a decent mess for throwing a cast net. The white shrimp showed in numbers in the upper end of our bay about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and the trout are right on their tail, as they should be. Stopped on the way home from a dove hunt Saturday, and bought 5 lbs for dinner (21-25 ct), and should just get bigger as Fall progresses.

Can't say I've heard of it but signed up for the trial 3 issues! :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:34 pm

"Can't say I've heard of it but signed up for the trial 3 issues! :thumbsup:"
Great, and as much as you like to cook, should be right up your alley. Still looking forward to making some razzle dazzle poppers brother, Thanks!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:00 am

Deltaman wrote:"Can't say I've heard of it but signed up for the trial 3 issues! :thumbsup:"
Great, and as much as you like to cook, should be right up your alley. Still looking forward to making some razzle dazzle poppers brother, Thanks!

Aw yea! We stockpiled our (few) teal from the season that just ended for opening weekend in November.....gumbo pot and poppers both on tap.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:47 pm

11/10/2018 Opening day

Temp 50's? wind - NE Hurricane force

Blake, Bennett and me

Birds- (3)- 2 GW hens 1 pintail hen

Saw a few birds, nothing wanted to work. I think I put lipstick on a pig.

The two south blinds took 6 or 8 each. The north blind left way before we did with minimal shooting.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:57 pm

DComeaux wrote:I think I put lipstick on a pig.

Hope not, and still too soon to punt in any event.
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Surely thought ya would’ve smoked em

BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 pm

BGkirk wrote:Surely thought ya would’ve smoked em

We saw a fair amount of birds, and we even had a 100+ flock of GW headed right at us dead center. They slowly pushed off to our north low level. It was a wonderful sight. I turned 3 specks that made two passes right over the top of us losing altitude all the while. Those fly overs were just a bit too high for the #4 23/4 we use. Turned a few flocks of grays but they never got right.

From last year's observations we didn't do very well on strong north wind days, and today was no exception. Maybe it's a thing for this marsh we're in??. The water has fallen significantly and is still on the way down but still way higher than we'd like. Hopefully we'll get to play with a few and get em right in the near future...... I hope this wind lays down a bit for the morning.
DComeaux

Postby BGkirk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Good deal, water was flowing through Culverts on the road, wish we had a bayou or something the water would flow south quicker

BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:00 pm

11/11/2018

Temp 50's? wind - Light NE mostly cloudy

Blake, Bennett and me

Birds- (18)- 9 GW 7 BW 1 Gadwall 1 Scaup

Saw fewer birds than yesterday but what was around cooperated fully. Whew! it was wonderful, and we were out of the marsh by 8:30. A much more enjoyable hunt without the big wind. The divers haven't shown up yet but we did see a few more than we did yesterday.

One of the south blinds missed their two man limit by one and the other had 6. The north blind didn't hunt today. The other blinds mostly hunt two men.

A pile of deliciousness.
11 11 2018.jpg
Last edited by DComeaux on Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Excellent!
Ducaholic

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:50 pm

Nice turnaround!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Bud » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Ducaholic wrote:Excellent!

Yes! Reading this log and the pics make me hungry. Way to go.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Were probably up here yesterday. Tomorrow...Belize.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Rick wrote:Were probably up here yesterday. Tomorrow...Belize.

Saw and heard a few flocks of robins down there this weekend. I think the wind may have pushed them a bit further than they would have stopped normally. Friday afternoon I saw a small group of blues coming from the south in no man's land, between the superior canal and Joseph's harbor. Weather this week will be interesting, to say the least. I'll be back in the blind Thursday morning and hope to see a new push of fowl.
DComeaux

Postby BGkirk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:37 pm

DC has was the first takings from the new location and pit?

BGkirk

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2018-2019