Post season Stuff

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Ducaholic wrote:It’s going to take Trent Lott like political clout with many dangling carrots to change Federal Baiting Laws.


I've no doubt they can find a pandering LA politician to attempt such a stunt, but ours aren't the only pandering politicians.
Rick
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:42 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote: It should have been left to flooding harvested stubble only. Money to "conservation" got involved.


There goes hunting in "baited" crawfish country...



Flood the stubble and fish. Go back to other ways of feeding those ponds if they're not planted for commercial harvest. Remember hay/stubble bales? I would think that most early, heavily fished ponds aren't hunted anyway, I wouldn't. Adjustments will need to be made by all involved. It's either that or suffer the possible long term consequences. I'd assume these changes would only be considered if the owner profited from duck hunting and made money from crawfish. When the ducks quit coming they'll lose that extra wallet fattening from duck hunting regardless. It's a double edged sword, with only one side giving you a much deeper, maybe fatal cut in time.

There's a young man that we employ who lives around the Eunice area that was out and about this past weekend looking at land they lease for duck hunting. Those fields are set aside crawfish ponds and are still flooded. He told me he saw the most teal he's seen in a long time in those ponds this early. Last year, unbeknownst to him, the farmer drained the fields the week before the teal season for prep work. He called him immediately and asked that he keep the water until the end of September.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:49 pm

DComeaux wrote: He told me he saw the most teal he's seen in a long time in those ponds this early.


Hang on now; you're telling me the corn isn't working? :D


Hope you enjoyed the video clips I sent you this morning a buddy passed along to me from his Delacroix boat rides today. Nice groups out and about.
User avatar
Darren
 
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: SE La Marsh

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:02 pm

DComeaux wrote:Flood the stubble and fish. Go back to other ways of feeding those ponds if they're not planted for commercial harvest. Remember hay/stubble bales? I would think that most early, heavily fished ponds aren't hunted anyway, I wouldn't. Adjustments will need to be made by all involved. It's either that or suffer the possible long term consequences. I'd assume these changes would only be considered if the owner profited from duck hunting and made money from crawfish. When the ducks quit coming they'll lose that extra wallet fattening from duck hunting regardless. It's a double edged sword, with only one side giving you a much deeper, maybe fatal cut in time.


So now you think you're going to get rank and file farmers to significantly change their operations because it might help preserve duck hunting revenues most of them don't share in. Good luck with that. If what I was hearing from farmers last winter was any indication, we can expect to see more, rather than less, unharvested rice in the race for early crawfish dollars.

Re: teal, one of the two Klondike reports and the Lacassine Bayou report I heard were over ponds still holding a little water. Hope they'll hold it for your friend, but know a lot of that late water is being drained now that first crop's in the bin and labor available.
Rick
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Flood the stubble and fish. Go back to other ways of feeding those ponds if they're not planted for commercial harvest. Remember hay/stubble bales? I would think that most early, heavily fished ponds aren't hunted anyway, I wouldn't. Adjustments will need to be made by all involved. It's either that or suffer the possible long term consequences. I'd assume these changes would only be considered if the owner profited from duck hunting and made money from crawfish. When the ducks quit coming they'll lose that extra wallet fattening from duck hunting regardless. It's a double edged sword, with only one side giving you a much deeper, maybe fatal cut in time.


So now you think you're going to get rank and file farmers to significantly change their operations because it might help preserve duck hunting revenues most of them don't share in. Good luck with that. If what I was hearing from farmers last winter was any indication, we can expect to see more, rather than less, unharvested rice in the race for early crawfish dollars.

Re: teal, one of the two Klondike reports and the Lacassine Bayou report I heard were over ponds still holding a little water. Hope they'll hold it for your friend, but know a lot of that late water is being drained now that first crop's in the bin and labor available.


More and more are going for the "early dollar", which will eventually pull the prices down with a flooded market. I have no doubt that the farmers will not change for ducks. It'll just die a slow death, with those picking on it's carcass for as long as there's people with money to throw away.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote: He told me he saw the most teal he's seen in a long time in those ponds this early.


Hang on now; you're telling me the corn isn't working? :D


.


I'd doubt that there is much in the way of corn ready for feed at this time, especially with the flooding they've had up north.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:02 pm

Remember what the baiting laws are.

https://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting-and-baiting.html
Distance
How close to bait can you hunt without breaking the law? There is no set distance. The law prohibits hunting if bait is present that could lure or attract birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Distance will vary depending on the circumstances and such factors as topography, weather, and waterfowl flight patterns. Therefore, this question can only be answered on a case-by-case basis.

So if they are going over you to get to that crawfish pond, if that is considered a baited area, you are technically breaking the law.

"if bait is present that could lure or attract birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them"

It doesn't just close the baited field to hunting. It closes all areas around it where birds are being pulled over you because of the bait. How far from the nearest crawfish pond will you have to be? Warden's opinions vary :shock:

Like I said, it will likely screw a lot of little guys and the guys flooding corn will just switch to flooding something else. It's not like they are going to go from spending all that money to plant, grow, and flood crops to nothing. They will continue to plant crops and flood for ducks.

Serious question. If flooding corn is outlawed, what do you think these people will do?

I think they will continue doing what they are doing, but just change up what they do to keep it very attractive to the ducks. It's not like corn is the only way to attract ducks. They will continue doing what they are doing for the same reasons they are doing it today. They will just find another legal way to do it, which I'm very cynical and any changes to the law will more than likely make it easier and not harder for the people with money to do what they are doing.

But that's my opinion of how they will respond. I'm curious what those that want to ban it think they will respond? How would you respond if you had the time and resources and inclination to flood corn and it was banned? Go lease all the good duck hunting areas in Lousiana :lol:
User avatar
SpinnerMan
 
Posts: 2226
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:33 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Remember what the baiting laws are.

https://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting-and-baiting.html
Distance
How close to bait can you hunt without breaking the law? There is no set distance. The law prohibits hunting if bait is present that could lure or attract birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Distance will vary depending on the circumstances and such factors as topography, weather, and waterfowl flight patterns. Therefore, this question can only be answered on a case-by-case basis.

So if they are going over you to get to that crawfish pond, if that is considered a baited area, you are technically breaking the law.

"if bait is present that could lure or attract birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them"

It doesn't just close the baited field to hunting. It closes all areas around it where birds are being pulled over you because of the bait. How far from the nearest crawfish pond will you have to be? Warden's opinions vary :shock:

Like I said, it will likely screw a lot of little guys and the guys flooding corn will just switch to flooding something else. It's not like they are going to go from spending all that money to plant, grow, and flood crops to nothing. They will continue to plant crops and flood for ducks.

Serious question. If flooding corn is outlawed, what do you think these people will do?

I think they will continue doing what they are doing, but just change up what they do to keep it very attractive to the ducks. It's not like corn is the only way to attract ducks. They will continue doing what they are doing for the same reasons they are doing it today. They will just find another legal way to do it, which I'm very cynical and any changes to the law will more than likely make it easier and not harder for the people with money to do what they are doing.

But that's my opinion of how they will respond. I'm curious what those that want to ban it think they will respond? How would you respond if you had the time and resources and inclination to flood corn and it was banned? Go lease all the good duck hunting areas in Lousiana :lol:


I'd be content with moist soil only, if the property is not a legit farm. If you buy property for duck hunting with no intent of farming then moist soil would be the only option. If it is farmed, flood harvested fields only.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:43 am

Spinner, LA has seen at least one very large and waterfowling area closed for our first split because some beans within it had to be plowed under for insurance purposes, resulting in the entire area being deemed "baited". So it's not like there's been no heads-up for those who can get their heads out of the corn.

Dave, unless people quit making people at anything remotely like the current rate, all hunting is on its way out, regardless.
Rick
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby BGkirk » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:03 am

Ya are making it sound terrible for a guy who just invested in his lifetime hunting license!
Rick wrote:
Dave, unless people quit making people at anything remotely like the current rate, all hunting is on its way out, regardless.


The other day (might’ve been last week or 2 months ago) I recall Local news channel saying my generation isn’t having near as many babies..
my guess:scared of responsibility.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:27 am

DComeaux wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Remember what the baiting laws are.

https://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting-and-baiting.html
Distance
How close to bait can you hunt without breaking the law? There is no set distance. The law prohibits hunting if bait is present that could lure or attract birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Distance will vary depending on the circumstances and such factors as topography, weather, and waterfowl flight patterns. Therefore, this question can only be answered on a case-by-case basis.

So if they are going over you to get to that crawfish pond, if that is considered a baited area, you are technically breaking the law.

"if bait is present that could lure or attract birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them"

It doesn't just close the baited field to hunting. It closes all areas around it where birds are being pulled over you because of the bait. How far from the nearest crawfish pond will you have to be? Warden's opinions vary :shock:

Like I said, it will likely screw a lot of little guys and the guys flooding corn will just switch to flooding something else. It's not like they are going to go from spending all that money to plant, grow, and flood crops to nothing. They will continue to plant crops and flood for ducks.

Serious question. If flooding corn is outlawed, what do you think these people will do?

I think they will continue doing what they are doing, but just change up what they do to keep it very attractive to the ducks. It's not like corn is the only way to attract ducks. They will continue doing what they are doing for the same reasons they are doing it today. They will just find another legal way to do it, which I'm very cynical and any changes to the law will more than likely make it easier and not harder for the people with money to do what they are doing.

But that's my opinion of how they will respond. I'm curious what those that want to ban it think they will respond? How would you respond if you had the time and resources and inclination to flood corn and it was banned? Go lease all the good duck hunting areas in Lousiana :lol:


I'd be content with moist soil only, if the property is not a legit farm. If you buy property for duck hunting with no intent of farming then moist soil would be the only option. If it is farmed, flood harvested fields only.

How does that save you from all the doom that you predict? That's my point. It's fighting for something that will have an effect that you won't be able to measure in the noise.

Rick wrote:unless people quit making people at anything remotely like the current rate, all hunting is on its way out, regardless.

The real threat is the leftists that can't let people alone and want to micromanage all of our lives to conform with their morals and owning guns at all is a worse sin than the religious nuts see their sins.

More people make it more expensive. Supply and demand and supply isn't going up.

However, that is not the threat in our or the next generations lifetime. It's the control freaks banning guns incrementally if they get power. They ban gasoline engines. You want to run you boat on an electric motor? That's the threat and it is real if you see who the idiots that have a real chance of winning the presidential election. 8 years of Obama/Biden and Pelosi as Speaker and Schumer as Majority leader and we are so screwed and probably on an unrecoverable path of control by people that can't abide guns. You have your Firearm Owner's ID card. I do. And that's only because Chicago couldn't get a statewide ban. That's the true threat nationwide. If you live in the suburbs like me, yes population is a problem, but that's a slow creeping problem and we are a massive country. It's a local problem.

It's also why I don't want to open up federal regulations. These same people that hate hunters will want to put their fingers in the pie and make life harder for us and they get to vote too.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
 
Posts: 2226
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:02 am

User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Seems I am locked out of the 2019-2020 log book. I can't post or even reply..... It's a sign.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:53 pm

That's what we get for not stepping up for moderator, DE's in.
Rick
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Haha I need to log in to the desktop version to see if I can figure out how to get y’all permission to post, if I’m authorized to do that at all. I was supposed to do my mod crash course this week but both of us were too busy. Otherwise I’ll ping Olly to see if he can unlock it.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:35 am

DComeaux wrote:Seems I am locked out of the 2019-2020 log book. I can't post or even reply..... It's a sign.

We all are. I think it is a sign Olly is bust.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
 
Posts: 2226
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:38 pm

Olly thinks he messed up the permissions as someone mentioned earlier. I either don't have the power to change the permissions or don't have the smarts (50-50 shot there).

Try posting in my 2019-2020 log under my preseason tab. I did a couple of tests there to see if that works. If not, Olly will have to look at it in a week. He's currently on a week-long trip.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Try posting in my 2019-2020 log under my preseason tab...


Can't, there's no "post reply" tab.
Rick
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:16 pm

5-Stand's in and has made a couple test posts which I can read, but not reply to.
Rick
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:30 pm

Strange. The permissions must be off. That’ll have to be addressed by Olly. Believe it’s above my clearance level.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Blake and I made it down to the camp on Friday and I saw one BW on the drive down there. Blake saw a 10 or 15 bird group landing in some rice stubble in the same area, and that was it for teal sightings on the weekend. We did catch a few crabs and some nice shrimp.

These Blake and I enjoyed at the camp.
Crabs 1.jpg
Crabs 2.jpg


These I took home for the wife to boil.
Shrimp.jpg



This is what I did today.
BBQ.jpg


I currently have more confidence in catching shrimp than I do with the teal hunting.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Last edited by DComeaux on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby BGkirk » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Those homemade ice blocks I see? Glad im not the only cheapo who won’t buy ice


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BGkirk
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:58 pm

BGkirk wrote:Those homemade ice blocks I see? Glad im not the only cheapo who won’t buy ice


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


It is. We have several large vegetable cans stacked in a freezer at the camp. Those eliminate trips the store. Just need an ice pick.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Darren » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:01 am

Great trip down there! North winds comin, as will more birds

TonightSoutheast winds near 5 knots becoming north in the late evening and overnight. Waves 1 foot or less. Dominant period 4 seconds.
WednesdayNorth winds 5 to 10 knots becoming west late in the afternoon. Waves 1 foot or less. Dominant period 4 seconds.
Wednesday NightNorthwest winds 5 to 10 knots. Waves 1 foot or less. Dominant period 4 seconds.
ThursdayNorthwest winds 5 to 10 knots. Waves 1 foot or less. Dominant period 4 seconds.
Thursday NightNorth winds 5 to 10 knots. Waves 1 to 2 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds.
FridayNorth winds 5 to 10 knots. Waves 1 to 2 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds.
Friday NightNorth winds 5 to 10 knots. Waves 1 to 2 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds.
SaturdayNorth winds 5 to 10 knots becoming east late in the afternoon. Waves 1 foot or less. Dominant period 4 seconds.
User avatar
Darren
 
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: SE La Marsh

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:04 am

But still hot as balls.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby MARSH BEAR » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 am

Darren - the eternal optimist - I hope you are right
MARSH BEAR
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:31 am

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 am

MARSH BEAR wrote:Darren - the eternal optimist - I hope you are right



I was once this way, and It's a way better feeling than what I get now. Years of sustained dashed hopes tend to do this to a man.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Darren » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 pm

any time we have north winds in September is reason for optimism for moving birds southward. What holds most promise, though, is full moon a couple of days before opener.
User avatar
Darren
 
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: SE La Marsh

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:53 pm

User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post season Stuff

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:41 pm

If that damned ol' flooded corn is holding up our September bluewings I may have to sign up.
Rick
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2018-2019

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest