Preseason 2018-2019

Re: Preseason 2018-2019

Postby Ericdc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:19 pm

We could sure do without that extra stuff with a frontal passage.
DComeaux

Postby MARSH BEAR » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:23 pm

I am hoping all that red stuff on the radar is migrating ducks that are coming with the front
MARSH BEAR

Postby Darren » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 am

Weather stations saying Bunkie area got just shy of 1 inch of rain from Thursday's front passage, looking forward to seeing how that looks on the field Sunday.

Report I got this morning from a buddy doing some youth hunt blind prep was huge numbers of teal of both flavors in the shallow areas of north Delacroix. Water is low and falling which fits the teal just fine, though it should be back up around normal before next weekend when we open.
Darren

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 am

Bunkie work day Sun 11-4-2018

Finally got four of us up there at same time and got a lot done despite the rains. On arrival to the area it was nice to see the usual field down the road locked up in spoons, teal, and misc others. When we got to camp was pleased to find main field and all other cuts around us with nice water levels, though no birds outside of wading varieties. Took photo inventory of the varieties of weeds/grasses in the fields in hopes to identify this week. There is some volunteer rice here and there but also a few other things shown below.

This stuff is fairly stalk-strong, and has some clusters atop it. It's taken over a lot of the field. Dont know of its value to birds, if any at all, but it's there for better or worse.
IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8482.JPG

Also others:

IMG_8474.JPG

IMG_8470.JPG

Cut behind blind
IMG_8484.JPG

Blind currently in middle of this pile on levee. We left much of it standing as I'm sure it'll die off/weather down. Extends a good 30 feet or so on either end of pit. May have set new record of NINETEEN counted black widows inside of pit. I dodged pit clean up duty in favor of building the cleaning table roof. Did briefly pick up one lid on an end and sure enough there was one under the lip........watch your fingers! A bug bomb was promptly deployed.
IMG_8480.JPG

Got down to business with the cleaning table roof and came out beautifully. Rain gave us just enough windows to work with and it was nice to listen to what at times was a fair flight of specks and blues, though no big numbers of either. Just feels 'early' there, but was indeed much more fowl seen and heard than this same date in 2017 there which was like a summer day.
IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8490.JPG

Though the blind was locked up in spiders, the camp had record low numbers of critters, snake skins, etc. so that was encouraging. Same field was locked up in ducks on our way out headed home. All is ready to rock up that way, just had an early/premature feel to it, still pretty green; hope birds start to fill in/spread out in coming weeks because fields around us look promising. Didnt take the time to go ride the bulk of the farm so could have been birds holding elsewhere on it.

Reports I got from home marsh for next weekend were good, with teal and grays on straps for kids. Looks like front coming through just in time to kick us off later this week! :thumbsup:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:57 am

Looking good!!
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:19 pm

So as to keep my interests here and not get John's off track......did take inventory of goose dekes available to us at the farm.

6 GHG FB snows
12 or so GHG FB ProGrade specks (two harvester packs)
6 GHG FB FFD Specks

Wondering what we might do with them, if anything, this time around. Considering adding some floater blues/snows once the numbers show up, figure it may be worth a try since most years the goose traffic is very low so maybe enhanced draw on a curious few. Otherwise, these blocks just stay in the camp on a shelf, so aren't likely to help us like that as it's been.

Crude sketch of potential set up below based on usual spread of ducks; big north/NE wind type day, for example, shown with mixed geese top right corner, fair bit up wind.

IMG_8494.JPG
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:20 pm

You decide to sell any more speck decoys, you know who to talk to.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Ericdc wrote:You decide to sell any more speck decoys, you know who to talk to.

I want to either use all of these that we have in a bigger spread that mostly stays out, OR go back to the micro-spread approach with 4-6 of the best I can get my hands on. I've seen the micro-spread approach here for a number of years so figure now's as good a time as any to try something else, a different look from the neighbors.
Darren

Postby BGkirk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:51 am

What did you use for the top of the cleaning table?

BGkirk

Postby Darren » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:15 am

BGkirk wrote:What did you use for the top of the cleaning table?

Framed up with treated 2X4's, top is just a 3/4" treated sheet of plywood for now. Contemplating covering it with some sort of metal sheeting or plastic in future
Darren

Postby Darren » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:45 am

Dont think I could draw it up any better myself for an opening weekend marine forecast in my marsh

Capture.JPG

We'll keep the dekes close in with all that wind, should be plenty sporty. Nothing like waking up to the camp rocking and the front porch rattling (faces north)......
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:53 am

With those winds in our new spot we will have tranquil waters around the blind. :D We also need these winds to flush the marsh around us. We are very slow draining.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:03 am

It's the rut, so it has to be windy. Seems to happen all too often.

I start seeing these on the camera and the wind starts blowing.

We are getting the same wind up here. If there were any ducks around, I wouldn't complain too much. The entire club has been averaging about 1-2 ducks per day at the moment. So I slept in this morning and the forecast looks iffy for archery tomorrow.

BuckCam.JPG
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:18 am

SpinnerMan wrote:It's the rut, so it has to be windy. Seems to happen all too often.

We are getting the same wind up here. If there were any ducks around, I wouldn't complain too much. The entire club has been averaging about 1-2 ducks per day at the moment. So I slept in this morning and the forecast looks iffy for archery tomorrow.

BuckCam.JPG

WOW! That is a pig. Why did you take a picture of him behind a tree... :lol:
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:40 am

DComeaux wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:It's the rut, so it has to be windy. Seems to happen all too often.

BuckCam.JPG

WOW! That is a pig. Why did you take a picture of him behind a tree... :lol:

:lol:

I need to move that camera or move that pine tree :thumbsup:

That pine tree is 25 yards from my blind. If only I were there Friday afternoon.

Oh, and they get a lot bigger than that up here :shock:

That's a good one, but there are ones taken in the area every year that dwarf that guy.

My best buck with a bow so far is a button buck :(
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:I need to move that camera or move that pine tree :thumbsup:

Seems to me the tree's likely to be more help than hindrance. Besides the more the camera shows of him, the sicker you'll be about his no-shows when you're there.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:I need to move that camera or move that pine tree :thumbsup:

Seems to me the tree's likely to be more help than hindrance. Besides the more the camera shows of him, the sicker you'll be about his no-shows when you're there.

I do need to move the camera. I agree that tree may serve me well. I have shot 3 deer within 20 feet of that tree.
SpinnerMan

Postby BGkirk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Darren wrote:

Framed up with treated 2X4's, top is just a 3/4" treated sheet of plywood for now. Contemplating covering it with some sort of metal sheeting or plastic in future
gotcha, or looked like you had a cutting material already on there. I was curious what you were going with for that purpose

BGkirk

Postby Darren » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 am

BGkirk wrote:
Darren wrote:

gotcha, or looked like you had a cutting material already on there. I was curious what you were going with for that purpose

Given we've been using the ledge of the front deck as the cleaning "table" for many years, this is a massive upgrade even sticking with the wood surface. Insisted on it being covered to both protect the table and extend it's life, but also keep us out the rain when cleaning birds.......seems I often look for rainy conditions to hunt there. Mission accomplished, can't wait to get feathers on it :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:40 am

You should be good to go in your field location from a water perspective. The backwater in and around Avoyelles Parish is slowly filling up. Things are coming together. Looks like the first 9 days will be fruitful. Weather afterwards is spotty when I look at the extended forecast for states to our north.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:56 am

On arrival to Bunkie area farm yesterday afternoon, it was initially pretty disappointing in that the good wad of birds down the road from us were no shows when we passed by and none flushed from our cut. However it didnt take but a short ride east on the farm to see where someone had put up what had to be a good few thousand ducks, like mosquitos. So that gave us a little hope for putting out dekes and battling about 8-9 more black widows found still inhabiting the pit. VERY few specks heard or seen yesterday but a fair many decent flights of snows passed through. Still just looks “early” for things up this way; probably because it is! We’ll give it a shot this morning in the clear and still conditions.

6D61239D-1287-4964-93B2-9838423CF0BC.jpeg

AAAA8283-C8B1-4EF9-9676-9F71AB9A4D83.jpeg

FB865E3D-170E-4C7D-BFB9-FCC7FCBAC57F.jpeg

CBFB25A9-2542-4A2A-882A-A9A8E6AB5E6E.jpeg
Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Ray and I brushed blinds on the marsh lease late this morning and overall didn't see a whole lot. Found a few near my south pond but nothing holding in our others. Did end up bumping a fair many from property just north of us, and we're told there's a good many more around to our south so we'll hope tomorrow's activity stirs them for us. Did bump some from places they hadn't been in first split, but hoped to have more of an accumulation in our traditional areas.....maybe just not yet. High water is very likely a big factor, forcing birds to use the shallower stuff we largely lack, but it's falling nicely now with the westerly winds.

Harry and I did manage to make two quick fishing trips on either end of the brushing mission and found a few willing trout for the box. Johnny's en route with a sack of oysters, Will and I waiting with knives in hand having recovered from our duck sausage poboy lunch feast. We'll make out, alright ducks or no. Good luck tomorrow

Harry says its a keeper
IMG_8842.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

MLCI6560.JPG
Darren

Previous

Return to Darren 2018-2019