Preseason 2018-2019

Re: Preseason 2018-2019

Postby Ericdc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:35 am

It’s the same with the state severance taxes on timber, the parish police jury’s give loggers hell about road use, then u ask where are they spending the severance revenue, and it’s going to “other needs” in the parish and roads get neglected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:29 pm

Ericdc wrote:It’s the same with the state severance taxes on timber, the parish police jury’s give loggers hell about road use, then u ask where are they spending the severance revenue, and it’s going to “other needs” in the parish and roads get neglected.

yep very similar. Funding for artificial reefs, coastal restoration etc. has gone to anything but over the years.
Darren

Postby Darren » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:27 am

Just waiting on Tropical Storm, and likely later Hurricane Gordon to skirt my stompin' grounds later today. Picked up around the camp over the weekend, 3-5 ft of surge expected, not good. Did put eyes on one bunch of maybe a dozen teal near the camp on Saturday evening while fishing but surely they'll be elsewhere after today. Best case scenario is we get it through here quick to allow tides to fall back and land to drain but there will still be a fair bit of excess water around putting birds in places hunters won't be. Surely putting a damper on my teal season prep but we'll hope for the best.

Also hoping bay boat makes out OK in our hoist, it's pretty high up for sure.

Capture.JPG

If any positives in the outlook, we had Hurricane Nate in october of last year on a similar path which gave us about 4-5 ft of surge and left our marsh in pretty good shape. Also there's a fair bit of excess grasses and also Salvinia growing in places it shouldn't be so there are some benefits to an occasional flushing so long as it doesn't come with catastrophic winds. We'll see!
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:53 am

Looks like the farm I hunt in extreme northeast LA will get some rain, but nothing extreme. I figure there is some rice getting close to being cut.

Ericdc

Postby Deltaman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 am

Dammit man.......We just finished rebuilding the walkway (240') on our pier on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay two weeks ago, taken down by Nate last year :?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Deltaman wrote:Dammit man.......We just finished rebuilding the walkway (240') on our pier on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay two weeks ago, taken down by Nate last year :?

It's a never ending battle.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:03 am

Feeling better this morning after watching T.S. Gordon's track stay east of most forecasts, and the heavily east-heavy storm put nearly all of it's rain east of it's path. From what I've seen on gauges so far and the little i'm hearing, sounds like surge was minimal. Most importantly for next weekend's prospects, it was not the pasture flooding event we feared. North and central La appear to have gotten very little rain at all

From the NOAA station in Shell Beach, winds at the camp peaked at 25 mph sustained, and never recorded a gust over 30, and winds have been blowing with a marsh draining WEST component since late last night, varying NW to SW. Just waiting on official word from a contact that lives down there but looking good so far :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 am

Wasn't too bad here in Mobile, and was a happy camper when I saw a picture of our pier this morning. As long as the high tide this a.m. doesn't go crazy, our pier made it through with no damage :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 am

Deltaman wrote:Wasn't too bad here in Mobile, and was a happy camper when I saw a picture of our pier this morning. As long as the high tide this a.m. doesn't go crazy, our pier made it through with no damage :thumbsup:

that's great to hear!

Initial report I'm getting from about as an official source as there could be short of me visiting myself says water may not have even gotten over our dock. Huge news; no pressure washing to be done.
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Good to hear.
Rick

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:48 am

Harry and I launched dark and early to check out some of our stompin grounds, nice NE wind greeted us, just great conditions to be out and about. Right off bat jumped three teal in flooded grass then saw a few small groups soon after in some areas they are usually using. Checked last year's location and found it all grown up so no won't be viable for this season. Water was still on the high side, and looked like some salt surge/submerging caused a good bit of die off in some really delicate stuff that has choked out the normal marsh grass but other than that, marsh still vibrant.

Did find mottled ducks piled up in a hole, a good 20-30 or more easily, and only confirmed a few teal, one of which came back to the call and plopped down in front of us. It was a really shallow area of stagnant water......mosquitoes were just horrific in there.

Harry got some work (and play) in, great morning pokin' around in the flat boat. Now back in BR to hit the LSU tailgate scene

IMG_7956.JPG

IMG_7973.JPG

In our happy place
IMG_7977.JPG

IMG_7984.JPG

Plan is to head to Shell Beach camp thursday night, give that a good scout Friday morning, then scheme from there on opener location.

Like the look of this wind direction in the forecast for first few days of the season

Capture.JPG
Darren

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:54 am

Now if you can just duck the next however many storms...
Rick

Postby Darren » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:14 am

Rick wrote:Now if you can just duck the next however many storms...

Will sweat it I’m sure for weeks to come, lining up pretty good right now but much rather our chances with the Cape Verde storms than those that just appear in Gulf.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:52 am

Reports have been bad down this way and the survey conducted by LDWF earlier in the week confirmed those reports with the second lowest survey on record. Our scout mission yesterday went a lot like the previous year's, with nothing at all seen until we got to our particular area where there were mottleds, shorebirds and some teal using shallows. Weren't as many as I kicked up last year there but a few when there was none to be found anywhere else.

We'll go give 'em a try this morning! Good luck all
Darren

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Buddy stopped by the Bunkie area field to see how the volunteer/wild growth is going since last visit; very pleased!

IMG_8163.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG

IMG_8165.JPG

Don't know what all we've got but figure it better than a mud field once we get some water on it in December. Any ideas??
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:14 pm

I texted a pic to my buddy Bradley Ramsey, he’s a moist soil expert. You are going to be a happy hunter. It’s sprangletop

https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=LEDU

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Boy oh Boy! Hopefully the geese don't harvest it too early.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:41 am

Glad someone could ID it. I've long heard of spangletop but plainly wouldn't know it if I stepped in it and was at a loss. Still not sure I'd know it on the hoof.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:Darren I hope the ducks and geese think it looks as good as we do

Hoping so; my question is how hardy is it? Will it be standing in December or broken over? How much clearing will be required?

Can we do whatever we want with it, like run over with ATV's or stomp, etc. since it's not a "crop"?
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:41 pm

Duck Engr wrote:
Darren wrote:
Marsh Bear wrote:Darren I hope the ducks and geese think it looks as good as we do

Hoping so; my question is how hardy is it? Will it be standing in December or broken over? How much clearing will be required?

Can we do whatever we want with it, like run over with ATV's or stomp, etc. since it's not a "crop"?

If it’s “native”, my understanding is you’re free to manipulate it.

Can’t speak to its hardiness.

That is my understanding as well. It is fragile and will seed and wither quick once you put water on it, but there are many, many seeds to fall.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Darren wrote:

https://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting-and-baiting.html

Hunting Over Natural Vegetation

Natural vegetation is any non-agricultural, native, or naturalized plant species that grows at a site in response to planting or from existing seeds or other propagules.

Natural vegetation does not include planted millet because of its use as both an agricultural crop and a species of natural vegetation for moist soil management. However, planted millet that grows on its own in subsequent years is considered natural vegetation.

If you restore and manage wetlands as habitat for waterfowl and other migratory birds, you can manipulate the natural vegetation in these areas and make them available for hunting.

Natural vegetation does not include plants grown as agricultural crops. Under no circumstances can you hunt waterfowl over manipulated crops prior to a normal harvest. Nor can you hunt waterfowl over manipulated wildlife food plots or manipulated plantings for soil stabilization.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:45 pm

These are apparently new Dakota speck floaters?? No one has them listed but Rogers, not even Dakota's website, and they're not in stock.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Kind of have my wheels turning if they become available since a mixed duck/goose floater spread is something we've been looking to tinker with, also would mix in a few FBs in same area to depict the water to be the right depth whether it really is or not.
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Darren 2018-2019