2018 - TEAL SEASON

Re: 2018 - TEAL SEASON

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 am

Been talking about taking the airboat to check out a nest we apparently missed in ours when caught by a little storm cell and hoping to find a neighbor's report that the marsh is up some to be so. Maybe in the morning...
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:40 am

Marsh Bear wrote:We worked in the marsh all day Saturday. No big jobs just a lot of little things need fixing. We repaired 2 blinds, fertilized around all the blinds, pumped water out of all the blinds, put a little more seawall material around 3 blinds.
Our water is about normal for us, which is a lot lower than it has been the past few years, and the marsh grass is responding. The tall grass we plant around our blinds is not as tall as in the past, but enough for us to hide.
We saw 1 group of blue wing teal - about 50. Did not see 1 Mottled duck the whole day.

Nice to be rewarded with a sighting after all that work :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Marsh Bear wrote: Did not see 1 Mottled duck the whole day.

I'm pretty sure they're all in Rockefeller Refuge.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:56 am

DComeaux wrote:
Marsh Bear wrote: Did not see 1 Mottled duck the whole day.

I'm pretty sure they're all in Rockefeller Refuge.

You can ride a whole lot of acreage in my home marsh and not see a one mottled, then stumble into just the right places that are a little different than all the rest........and they are 'tic 'tic, hence why so many see them in August and September and call them early arriving grays :roll:
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:15 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:After reviewing the 2018-2019 Duck population survey looks like we won't need many shot shells this year.
The survey shows Gadwall are down 31% and teal are down 18% - last year gadwall and teal accounted for 77% of our birds killed.
I think cooking, watching football and drinking will be the main reasons to go to the camp this year. :beer:

I'm hoping for a few grays to play with this year as well, and that we might have a concentration of the trickle show up in our area. I'm also hoping the green wing show up like they did last year, if nothing else. Got a text this morning saying the BW were getting thick on the refuge, and the mottleds are still plentiful. It was actually a couple of videos from an air boat, but they were grainy and the birds didn't show up very well, but I knew what is was about, and I did ask.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:After reviewing the 2018-2019 Duck population survey looks like we won't need many shot shells this year.
The survey shows Gadwall are down 31% and teal are down 18% - last year gadwall and teal accounted for 77% of our birds killed.
I think cooking, watching football and drinking will be the main reasons to go to the camp this year. :beer:

Some of the biggest numbers of grays I've actually seen myself were in 2005, when there were fewer grays than are said to be right now.

Not about how many there are in total, its how many find your vantage point. You'll be killin' just fine, but that other stuff is good too :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:05 am

Marsh Bear wrote:22 days until Teal season
This time in 3 weeks I will be at the camp.
I did not have a very good hunting season last year due to my shoulder, so I am looking forward to this one with a little more excitement.

Good deal! Have a tentative plan in place to head down Thursday night for an early Friday AM scout mission where we found them last year.....to also include some crabbing and fishing at same time. Can't guarantee teal, but can guarantee a simmering (or boiling) pot
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 am

Happy for you marsh bear, I hope you have a bang up teal season. I'm not expecting much where we are, but you just never know. I do like our chances with this low water though. Crabs and shrimp in da pot!
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:15 pm

Yarch. Hope you get the hitch worked out in time.

(Initially wrote "You're falling apart, old timer." but figured God would surely get me for that.)
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:07 am

"Opening weekend looks more like eating, drinking, and watching football"

Great back up plan, just in case!!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:11 am

Marsh Bear wrote:Went to the camp Saturday afternoon. Joey and I made some steps for the dogs to get over the seawalls at the blinds. We built them Saturday and put them in place Sunday.
Water, water everywhere our marsh is up over a foot, all the islands are under water - not good.
We had pumped out our blinds 3 weeks ago thinking that would do it for teal season - wrong, looks like we will go out Friday morning and pump them again.
Teal report - no teal. We saw a total of 10 teal
Opening weekend looks more like eating, drinking, and watching football

I can relate to your comments, all but the high water. Our water is up but at a comfortable level for travel and work. It may be just a bit much for the puddle ducks liking though. We'll see....
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 am

Marsh Bear wrote:On Ducks Unlimited website they have a migration map with reports from hunters. There were 2 reports from Gueydan on 9/11/18 one report said there will be more hunters than teal on Saturday, the other report said there were 10,000 blue wing teal in the Gueydan area - I think this guy was on some hallucinogenic drugs :o
I am not very optimistic about our chances for a good teal hunt this weekend

I'm not expecting much, and Sunday morning you may find me still in bed at LST. Those good number reports on the DU map are there to entice their prey, which works for a little while.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Had the afternoon to myself down here at the camp, really nice, no teal season in my piddling nearby. Hope you have a good one!
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:53 am

Good to see you guy's had a few to play with. The mottled's were fun to play with, and I'm glad they're not this easy all year, or we'd wipe em out.
DComeaux

Next

Return to Marsh Bear 2018-2019