Pre Season

Re: Pre Season

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:41 am

Never hear of them, either, until I moved down to Lafayette, but Snagless Sallies were an Atchafalaya Basin bass favorite. 'Least in those days.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:54 am

Rick wrote:Never hear of them, either, until I moved down to Lafayette, but Snagless Sallies were an Atchafalaya Basin bass favorite. 'Least in those days.

One of my favorites. It's an in-line spinner bait with a fork of two wires coming off of it so it just rolls over logs n such. Grew up slinging those on the Pearl River
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:27 am

I grew up using them in Spring and Fall for Bass, and found that the Redfish like'm too! For the longest time we used them with Uncle Josh Pork Frogs (usually the green spotted, or red), until Uncle Josh quit making them, then switched to a plastic twin-tail.
The pork was a PIA, but the bass sure liked them, and I would use a razor blade and split the twin tail into four legs (looked more like a crab, and that is their main food source here). Since we are mostly fishing over open water and grass, I've always modified by cutting off the two protective wires (great around wood, but they caught too much grass), and added a trailer hook with the trailer. For me, it will always be my bass go to lure of choice, and I try to keep 10-12 ea. of the colors I use most (Bruiser, Crawfish, Yellow/Black, Professor and White), new and still in package, as we move into Spring. They get scarce around here quickly, and I usually start stocking up as duck season starts to wind down.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ericdc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 pm

BGcorey wrote:Have not made it the marsh since last time I posted about the canals being very low. Another member sent me this today, Image
Measurement was taken at one of our boat launches. Not an accurate reading for the actual depth in the ponds but we will probably use that spot as a gauge now seeing that as soon as we get out of the truck in the mornings we can take a look at the water level .. although, our ponds have less than 12” so it is similar I suppose.

Have looked at the radar a few times and noticed red cells over our marsh more than once. So we shall see, hope to make a trip over the long Labor Day weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring me

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Ericdc wrote:
BGcorey wrote:Have not made it the marsh since last time I posted about the canals being very low. Another member sent me this today, Image
Measurement was taken at one of our boat launches. Not an accurate reading for the actual depth in the ponds but we will probably use that spot as a gauge now seeing that as soon as we get out of the truck in the mornings we can take a look at the water level .. although, our ponds have less than 12” so it is similar I suppose.

Have looked at the radar a few times and noticed red cells over our marsh more than once. So we shall see, hope to make a trip over the long Labor Day weekend

Bring me

There's no corn down there..... :mrgreen:
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:44 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Ericdc wrote:

Bring me

There's no corn down there..... :mrgreen:

Ha, give me rice stubble or weeds any day over corn.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:00 am

BGcorey wrote:
Have looked at the radar a few times and noticed red cells over our marsh more than once.

Lay awake from 2:30 to 3:30 listening to thunder near and far before taking the dogs out to see if it was meaningful. Trees were dripping, grass and drive were wet and there wasn't the least bit of water accumulated in the road ditch.

Which is how it's been for some time, now: popcorn showers in the area most every day, but never enough for runoff.
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:40 pm

Very cool! Good news
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Still better than last couple years when it was bad high

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:12 am

Looks like you're in the game! Burning gas opening runs sounds like a good time too
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:57 pm

BGcorey wrote:Sure wish I would’ve taken a before pic but we piled the brush to this blind. Hardly any Roseau around to speak of and did not want to get caught transporting it down the highway or road. So we used the bushes that seem to thrive on the levees. I like it, makes for easier and faster brushing all around. Here’s where I’ll be come sat. One other guy was in his blind daylight and saw some small groups of teal. 6” rain only helped us get to our ponds, still could burn a lot more gas opening up trails but we will manage. Image

Lookin good; i'd expect the bushes to last longer (with more coverage) than the roseau too
Darren

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:46 am

Does look good, Cory.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Looking good!
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Good deal I’ll pack the old Nike’s

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:44 pm

I've been watching the radar and I'm sure we have way more water than we need.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Whole lot easier to start them off within a framework of good habits than to try breaking bad ones down the road.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 am

Good looking pup BG :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby BGkirk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:54 am

Guess I was along with johnc and had to re create an account. Maybe I can remember the password this time.

Makes me think about phone numbers. If you didn’t have a smart phone, or a contact list how many people could you make a call to if you were forced to use someone else’s phone or a pay phone?

Anyways.... onto ducks

BGkirk

Postby BGkirk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:00 am

Just noticed all my previous posts are gone too?? Hmm...

Youth duck hunt -
I wasn’t there to see it due to a wedding in SELA (man there’s a lot of sugar cane), but I would call it a success.
One kid went maybe 9-10 yrs old with little shooting experience. He shot 2 boxes and didn’t cut a feather. The way I look at it, that was a minimum of 25 ops.... I’m ok with that !
And that was in a blind that wasn’t brushed.

I’ll be going this Friday to brush blind and get decoys out. Hate waiting that long

BGkirk

Postby BGkirk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:03 am

Our neighbor also has a successful youth hunt. He’s been in the marsh far longer than I have and his words were “I haven’t seen that many ducks in a long time, and especially haven’t seen gadwall decoying so well”

I would’ve loved to be in the blind yesterday with the strong south winds. But am just as anxious to be in the blind with North winds forecasted for sat

BGkirk

PreviousNext

Return to BGcorey 2018-2019