Post season

Re: Post season

Postby BGkirk » Thu May 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Ducaholic wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:In the future if the USFWS agrees to allow multiple splits and zones in a given state our East Zone season should match Arkansas's.

I'm confused, you have 3 zones with split seasons. I wish Illinois would do that. We had three zones, no splits. Now they fought and got a fourth zone, but still no splits. I really wish we had split seasons even if it meant just two zones. Some years the early ducks are gone before the season opens and the late ducks don't show until the season is over.

About 5 years ago the USFWS amended their rules to allow for more than two zones with a split season. At that time La. went from two zones to three zones with a single split in each zone.

Now the USFWS is considering the two zone option with multiple splits meaning more than one. That won't be a possibility until the 2020 season if I am not mistaken.
multiple splits? Not sure how that would look for the coastal, or possibly south zone then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 09, 2019 8:50 pm

We’d go back to an east and west zone like it used to be before 2015 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 09, 2019 9:03 pm

Looks like we went to 3 zones in the fall of 2012

Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Fri May 10, 2019 3:54 am

Ericdc wrote:We’d go back to an east and west zone like it used to be before 2015 I think.

That’s the thought process according to LR. Nothing set in stone.
Ducaholic

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri May 10, 2019 6:14 am

Ducaholic wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:In the future if the USFWS agrees to allow multiple splits and zones in a given state our East Zone season should match Arkansas's.

I'm confused, you have 3 zones with split seasons. I wish Illinois would do that. We had three zones, no splits. Now they fought and got a fourth zone, but still no splits. I really wish we had split seasons even if it meant just two zones. Some years the early ducks are gone before the season opens and the late ducks don't show until the season is over.

About 5 years ago the USFWS amended their rules to allow for more than two zones with a split season. At that time La. went from two zones to three zones with a single split in each zone.

Now the USFWS is considering the two zone option with multiple splits meaning more than one. That won't be a possibility until the 2020 season if I am not mistaken.

:thumbsup:

I just wish we had one split. An early, middle, and really late season would be nice.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ericdc » Sat May 25, 2019 9:45 am

Going to ride up to the lease this afternoon with a friend who hunted with me a few times last year. Curious to see how far behind planting is in certain areas. We’ve got to be better off than those poor folks in the Midwest.

Ericdc

Postby BGkirk » Sat May 25, 2019 12:44 pm

Ericdc wrote:Going to ride up to the lease this afternoon with a friend who hunted with me a few times last year. Curious to see how far behind planting is in certain areas. We’ve got to be better off than those poor folks in the Midwest.

maybe that means the ducks will by pass them dry fields yea?

BGkirk

Postby Ericdc » Sat May 25, 2019 5:33 pm

The soybean and rice ground in my area, and on my farm is way behind. Our farm has been disked but not planted just yet. We drove through a 20 mile stretch of where the best hunting is in the parish saw a lot of bare ground. There were a lot of tractors running though so they are trying to get it in. The river crested at its highest point about 2 weeks ago and has since fallen out so things are drying out fast.

Was odd to see the landscape like it was and not bright green like it should be.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat May 25, 2019 6:04 pm

Our rye grass came in good

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Tue May 28, 2019 8:04 am

Will the rice catch up? What's the longer term ramifications, just later to harvest?
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Tue May 28, 2019 8:44 am

Darren wrote:Will the rice catch up? What's the longer term ramifications, just later to harvest?

If rice hasn’t been planted at this point, I don’t think it will be. Look up Dave’s Bayou Lodge near Columbia, LA. Most of their farm is still under water, and it’s one of the best areas in north Louisiana.

Hoping we will get some beans.

This is the situation all over the lower Mississippi delta, northwest MS, east Arkansas, and northeast LA.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Tue May 28, 2019 8:57 am

I'm no rice farmer, but know one who's still planning on flying on rice, no-till, when his water goes down on what's been flooded land here. Too late for second-cropping, but would think some up there might still make a first.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Tue May 28, 2019 9:15 pm

I hope so, talking to a few folks up here, they acted like this past weekend was about as late as they’d push rice. Last year we had a freshly seeded field may 23.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed May 29, 2019 4:37 am

They surely know more about their rice than I do.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed May 29, 2019 6:56 am

I haven't seen a single field planted with corn or beans up here yet. Rain, rain, rain. Most fields have lakes in them in the low spots right now. And we had a lot of rain last night and more in the forecast. It's not looking like a good year for farmers anywhere.

I was in one of the most intense hail storms I've been in on Monday. An insane downpour. I think I heard 2.5" of rain in about a half hour and most of that included heavy hail in the pea to nickle size with some bigger. My wife's new car in the parking lot fared much better than I feared, but has a few dents in the hood.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Wed May 29, 2019 7:49 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I haven't seen a single field planted with corn or beans up here yet. Rain, rain, rain. Most fields have lakes in them in the low spots right now. And we had a lot of rain last night and more in the forecast. It's not looking like a good year for farmers anywhere.

I was in one of the most intense hail storms I've been in on Monday. An insane downpour. I think I heard 2.5" of rain in about a half hour and most of that included heavy hail in the pea to nickle size with some bigger. My wife's new car in the parking lot fared much better than I feared, but has a few dents in the hood.

DComeaux rejoices, no corn to be planted and flooded. :lol:

In all seriousness, nightly news and just now what I saw this morning is just staggering with flooded homes, its awful. Supports why we're on our second opening of the Bonnet Carre spillway and now the Morganza Spillway in a few days. Still a long way to go in this game, so much water yet to make it down here.
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed May 29, 2019 11:07 am

Darren wrote: Still a long way to go in this game, so much water yet to make it down here.

A whole lot of water that has a long way to go.

SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 pm

Happen to also have the legend that says what the colors mean?
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Wed May 29, 2019 12:14 pm

Darren wrote:Happen to also have the legend that says what the colors mean?

Ericdc

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed May 29, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks Eric.

Black is basically flood and dark blue very high.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Wed May 29, 2019 12:49 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Thanks Eric.

Black is basically flood and dark blue very high.

thanks! At least the Dakotas appear to be getting their share as well. Will be a long saga down this way for months to come

Saw on IG and FB that the Habitat Flats folks are sandbagging up big time, Missouri River is threatening to flood a lot of their acreage it looked like
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 pm

Wow!!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 30, 2019 6:14 am

It's raining now :(
SpinnerMan

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Got some good news today. It looks like our field is going to get planted in beans. Some of the other fields on our farm will not be planted though.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:28 pm

My wife and I just got back from a big road trip vacation.

The flooding along the Mississippi and Missouri rivers near St. Louis can only be seen to be understood.

The corn crop in Illinois appears to be very late, and i doubt any of the flooded corn duck plantings along the River bottoms will happen this year. I’ve heard they will try to plant millet in August.

Western Kentucky is beautiful, with its corn and winter wheat contrasting the rolling hills.

Nashville is a pretty cool city.

We spent most of our time in St. Louis, there’s an incredible Italian neighborhood called the Hill where I had some of the best Italian meals I’ve ever had.

We finished our trip in Memphis, if you’re ever in town, take enough time to visit the DU waterfowling heritage center in the pyramid and tour the DU headquarters.
ImageImage

The rice crop from the bootheel in Missouri down to Stuttgart looks like it’s well on its way, much better than northeast Louisiana. I guess they didn’t have the flooding we had to set back the planting.

Ericdc

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 am

Looks like a fun trip Eric, and glad you have a wife that enjoys duck hunting, and all that goes with it as well :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Doug burned a barn full of those Nick Trahan decoys left over from his FIL's commercial duck camp to make room for hay. Pretty sore subject with Miss Mary...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:08 pm

Road up to the farm today with my new lease member, he’s a biologist for DU and I look forward to learning a lot from him.

Thanks to Corey’s newly acquired pump we were able to pump the water out in less than 5 minutes.

There’s a lot more rice on the landscape than we saw Memorial Day weekend, which made me feel better about our areas ability to hold birds. Although this rice will be really late, which also could be a good thing, maybe they won’t disk it to powder after harvest...unless it gets really dry.

As far as our field, the beans are up and coming along.
ImageImageImage

Ericdc

Post season

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:37 pm

Good news on the rice! And i agree, later should bode better for available duck food.

Have any specs on that pump? Seems one like it would save us some trouble come November.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Good news on the rice! And i agree, later should bode better for available duck food.

Have any specs on that pump? Seems one like it would save us some trouble come November.

honda wp30x

Ericdc

PreviousNext

Return to Ericdc 2018-2019