2019-2020 Season Log

Re: 2019-2020 Season Log

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Years back I heard of many fowl taking to a certain sugarcane bagasse pit near a mill. I'm sure it's the same today.

Don't know about the legality of hunting a mill's runoff, but might have heard of such - allegedly.

Suspect I found myself hunting a baited ag field once in the "way back when...", judging by how the birds acted. Had pay hunters with me and didn't want to voice my suspicion, but couldn't wait for quitting time and never hunted there again. Too chicken to be a good outlaw. And where's the fun in it?

Exactly. I can say that I've never knowingly hunted a baited field but would expect it to be noticeable, as you mention.
DComeaux

Postby BGkirk » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:33 pm

Rick is there a certain qualification to have met before getting on the volunteer list to be called for when the net goes off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:48 am

BGkirk wrote:Rick is there a certain qualification to have met before getting on the volunteer list to be called for when the net goes off?

No, but it sure helps to have waders and a green or red headlamp! Know we shook the bushes pretty hard this time and had a great turnout, all of whom are now on the list, but you never know when someone's "one and done".

Those with the will and the way to do Instagram can eliminate a middleman through Paul link's account: plink_the_bander

Or I can PM his right-hand volunteer, Liz's, e-mail if you need another route.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:58 am

Guess I could add that it's a great way to meet outdoorsy girls as a recruiting ploy:
IMG_6190.jpg

(And leave out the part about them all being taken.) (Photo credit goes to Liz)
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:18 am

Paul's a great follow on Instagram, get to see not only banding pics but telemetry results of particular note. From what I gather, that one on the right has killed more than her share of birds over the years.
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:07 am

Far better hunting partner than most men, but she'll be completely off the market after their wedding this weekend. Great kid, as is Isaac, and I couldn't be happier for them.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:26 am

Rick wrote:Far better hunting partner than most men, but she'll be completely off the market after their wedding this weekend. Great kid, as is Isaac, and I couldn't be happier for them.

Oh yea definitely. We had plenty time to talk honeymoon plans on the hunt we shared the day after that with you. :lol:
Darren

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:49 pm

Still a little shell-shocked from the season that largely wasn't, but need to get the log "wrap-up" done and behind me.

Date: Our so-so September teal season and a second worst since the 3/30 years first big duck split was followed by a far and away worst since 3/30 years, if not ever in LA, second big duck split.

Time: Aside from one afternoon with a grandson doing the calling for specks that went unlogged, all of my hunts this regular season were morning hunts...

Cloud Cover: Nothing happened to sway my strong preference for clear skies or, if it must be cloudy, rain.

Wind Direction and Velocity: But my faith in both strong northerly winds for big ducks and strong southerly winds for little ones took a beating.

Temperature: Way too many "t-shirt" or nearly so days throughout.

Moon phase:

Special Notes: Seemed we had some or most of our best frontal weather early in the first split, and it was meaningless.

Waterfowl Activity: Nearly barren or flat barren skies plagued us all season, and were all the more vexing on days when the blinds to our east were getting what at least sounded like significantly more shooting. Much of their shooting could be attributed to the ringnecks, which have been our marsh's predominant wintering residents in recent years, but of which my blind's season take has been just 18 for each of the past two years. Couldn't help but note their near complete absence from the big ponds they used to at least frequent to our south, if not stray from, in years past.

While the season without meaningful snowfall to our north took the surprise out of our dearth of big ducks, I'll admit plenty of head-scratching over how few mornings there were enough greenwings to spill over into my end of the marsh. Easterly, more broken marsh blinds saw more than we did, of course, but I doubt any found it a good year for them.

The pond-hopping big ducks that usually hang out in the broken marsh "veterans' home" to our north were conspicuously far and few between, as well.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: The latter of the above observations might, at least in small part, be attributable to my more careful management of when and how sightings there were treated and could help explain our mudhole record year for mottleds. Can't say we killed them all, but we did trip up a mess of what was around.

Hunters: For the most part, the folks I got to hunt with were my season's highlights.

Guns: I had an O/U shooter in the blind this year who actually shot well with it - and fired no loose rounds getting it closed!

Malfunctions: My circa '90s Montefeltro started hang-firing again but was fixed (presumably long term) with a new trigger assembly.

Dog(s): Find myself thinking more and more often of how seamlessly Marsh, aka: "the bug," has fit into the succession of fine dogs I've been blessed with.

Special Equipment: It's long been my usual practice to run a spinner, and now two, for teal and shut it off for big ducks or geese. But more and more teal are plainly pushing off them and not returning unless I shut them off (and call like crazy and/or catch them up in a "momma" series. Mallard Machine turned splasher remains helpful in putting teal front and center but easily overdone with big ducks that are hanging up.

Curses: Logged the mudhole's third and fourth scratches (on consecutive days) in fourteen seasons during this one's second split. Also had at least three loose rounds, all thankfully harmless. And I'm sure I disappointed an awful lot of nice folks who'd been excited about duck camp prospects that didn't pan out.

Kudos: Most took out lickings well - at least on the outside.

Birds By Species: My parties shot just 464 ducks (one mallard banded) and no geese at all during the regular season, which averaged out to just 2 birds per gun. Adding our September teal brought the 2019-2020 season total to just 660 birds. Of the 15 duck species we shot, greenwings led the regular season totals with 109 followed closely by 107 mallards. And the only species of real note were a mudhole record 22 mottled ducks and the blind's 5th true black duck.

Photo Ops: It wasn't all bad, and this is the photo I choose to remember it by:
060a.jpg

Lagniappe: From last year's summary's "Lagniappe" section:
Last year I loaded this section up with plans for the mudhole's future, at least some of which worked out pretty well. This year...well, I'm still licking my wounds and maybe feeling too sorry for me and mine to envision ways to improve our lot that are within my power. Hopefully, some will eventually surface, as a waterfowler without schemes for improvement isn't having nearly as much fun as those who have them.

And while it's definitely so that I again find myself disheartened and "licking my wounds," I do, at least, have some scheming for improvement to look forward to. While it's always been easy for me to find ways to put safe, effective and easy to rise up and shoot through cover over my ag land hunters, the applicable cover types and logistics of using them in the marsh have long precluded getting much of anything directly over the mudhole's pit. Which leaves us exposed to overhead game and more of the need to help hide themselves up to guests who either can't or, much more often, simply won't.

But one of our subleasees has either found or developed what's far and away the most natural artificial cover material I've ever seen and blessed me with enough of the synthetic "grass" to keep my mental wheels turning for deployment possibilities that guests can't (OK, hopefully won't) destroy, get tangled up in or lose an eye to. We'll see...
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 pm

Curious to see the synthetic grass you speak of. I believe I’ve seen it talked about elsewhere, and actually may have followed a link but didn’t look long as the prices were high. I’d make a go for it if I knew someone else who has tried it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:07 am

Called "blind grass," and here's Jay's site: https://blindgrass.com/

I agree that it's expensive, but I find most everything expensive. (Except, of course, my time and labor.) And the price in regret when we get caught by birds that are still too distant or awkward for my shooters' capabilities has been climbing pretty rapidly the past couple seasons.

Anyway, I'm not about to abandon natural vegetation as our primary cover; just looking for something to break up the hole and help hide what's in it from overhead without entangling guests (many of whom could get wrapped up in a stick) or being broken up or lost to the marsh by them. So I'm thinking in terms of small bundles of doubled=over blind grass zip-tied to dowel or 1"x stakes that can be stuck in my cover or wire with those natural-looking reed clumps providing cover between and above sitting hunters, while still being flexible enough to readily push out of the way when they rise to shoot and falling back into place when they go back down to the bench. For that application, an 8-pound bundle should be a lifetime supply.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 am

Isaac showed me a few strands of it he had in the truck, seemed to be the right coloring for your use and surprisingly strong. I'm considering some myself, if for no other reason to use it to tie bundles of my local marsh grass to my structures
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:02 am

Darren wrote:I'm considering some myself, if for no other reason to use it to tie bundles of my local marsh grass to my structures

Pretty sure that's why God made zip-ties and baling twine. If birds get close enough to see what you're using for ties, you ought to be able to bean 'em with a short stick.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:43 am

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:I'm considering some myself, if for no other reason to use it to tie bundles of my local marsh grass to my structures

Pretty sure that's why God made zip-ties and baling twine. If birds get close enough to see what you're using for ties, you ought to be able to bean 'em with a short stick.

While that's indeed true and what we mostly use, I figured using it for bundling and making bundles of it itself would work well given how natural it looks and strong it felt. Though the price is right with natural grass readily available around the blinds we have, getting some panels of this stuff would surely curtail the need to so often replace it.
Darren

Postby Bud » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:56 am

Great picture to choose, Sir Rick. Among many other things, I like a man that will squat or kneel down with the dog that just worked his butt off doing any good thing. I like, personally, to do the same with visitors and my own. I feel like "getting down to their level" means a lot to them. That was a great day for ducks, and look at the next generation already sharing a duck blind and hunt. The Bug even showing his pleasure, and the only thing missing in the pic was you.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:51 am

Somebody had to take the picture for my niece.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:58 am

Rick wrote:
Time: Aside from one afternoon with a grandson doing the calling for specks that went unlogged, all of my hunts this regular season were morning hunts...

Didn't hunt in Port Barre swamp for EZ opener?
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:05 am

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:

Didn't hunt in Port Barre swamp for EZ opener?

Yes, I did but only entered it as a side note, rather than including anything from it in log's stats.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:17 am

Come on now! We need all the details you usually include, but from other locations you might visit. :D

I enjoy going back through the logs this time of year, pick up on things here and there
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:10 am

Darren wrote:Come on now! We need all the details you usually include, but from other locations you might visit. :D

I enjoy going back through the logs this time of year, pick up on things here and there

Too late for details beyond had a good time with friends who had a nice setup. Do know they shot limits of mallards without my invited-but-too-lazy ass in the same spot when a hard front hit a couple days later, which I may or may not have mentioned at that time. But to which I can now add that it wasn't the beginning of green times for them. Just a cruel tease, I've since learned.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Lot of deer hunters talk of mallards galore in that general swamp system at times, even recent ones, from say Port Barre over to Krotz Springs and southward
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:18 am

They didn't shoot this year's mallards in the spot I hunted but in a slough crossing a power line shooting lane where they much more often had them in the past. Just that once, though this past go-round. Place they'd actually tried to plant millet for the first time that got flooded out.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:22 am

Some hope that this project may resurrect the old Maurepas Swamp mallard magnet of DC fame, running off the invasives. Not sure if Coco's blind falls in the area of influence or not, though.

http://mississippiriverdelta.org/projec ... pas-swamp/
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:29 am

Have to wonder if the reduction of salinity that's good for the trees won't also be good for the salvinia...
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Rick wrote:Have to wonder if the reduction of salinity that's good for the trees won't also be good for the salvinia...

Fair point for sure, though salinity is negligible there currently. My understanding is that there are (hopes) the movement of the flowing water would combat the salvinia and hyacinth. Will just have to see, I dont really have any stake in how that shakes out, other than it will tap into the river within the boundaries of a client's site, a bulk liquids terminal.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:Have to wonder if the reduction of salinity that's good for the trees won't also be good for the salvinia...

Fair point for sure, though salinity is negligible there currently. My understanding is that there are (hopes) the movement of the flowing water would combat the salvinia and hyacinth. Will just have to see, I dont really have any stake in how that shakes out, other than it will tap into the river within the boundaries of a client's site, a bulk liquids terminal.

It would have to be a lot of flow to move the Salvinia out of that tract. What are we talking about 30+ thousand acres? As long as it stays wet the Salvinia will thrive. What we really need is a drought like we had in 98, 99, 00 and then some good fresh water moving through those woods consistently otherwise any remnants of Salvinia would quickly take hold again.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:34 pm

Rick,

Reading back on the banding efforts regarding hen/drake ratios, did you ever get any more insight from Paul or others on even anecdotal evidence of such ratios? You noted how steeply the banding captures were weighted toward drakes.
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Nope, nothing but what I've posted.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:57 am

So are the drakes just suckers for a free meal, despite the net hidden nearby, or are there really that many more drakes that make it to S. La than hens? Or, as a total population of mallards, that many more drakes than hens?

Have not noticed any discernible pattern of other species having drakes being more prevalent in my bags than hens.
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:07 pm

The mallard sex ratio was a surprise to me, but consistent enough to be a concern, as well. As was the scarcity of birds of the year.

Didn't make any effort at all to track pintail, much less other species ratios, but none jumped out as being wildly out of kilter, like the mallards did.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Rick wrote:The mallard sex ratio was a surprise to me, but consistent enough to be a concern, as well. As was the scarcity of birds of the year.

Lending credence to the long held idea that the juvi's of the year are hammered out well above us on the flyway, leaving us with the smart ones (think P Link's maps we recently discussed with the same exact patterns to safe places each day/night). I'm not in a spot to notice such a difference since I mostly see grays and GW's, but one has to wonder how many more juvenile mallards might make it here without being absolutely wrecked over SWD's in dry fields north of the border in early season. Maybe "wrecked" is an exaggeration, but the photos and videos we all routinely see would seem to justify it.

Not wanting to get into SWD debates necessarily, but seems to be a significant factor in the mortality of new mallards up there.
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2019-2020