Looking ahead...

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:21 am

DComeaux wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Dammit! I loved that old engine. How in the hell did they burn the damn pump?

If you remember, the one big issue we had was when Blake and I were in the blind and the pump was slow running to add just a bit more water while we were hunting, A few hours into the hunt I heard the engine lug and the belt squeal. I never got out of the blind so fast, and I think I walked on water to get to the bike. It had ingested a piece of old timber. Luckily the crude belt tightening system (conass engineering) allowed the motor to slide loosening the belt and it jumped the pully. I miss the challenges of that place. I wish I had the money to keep and maintain it.

I really, really hate seeing those dead baby mottled ducks. What heck would kill those and not eat them, a rat? Did a deer step on them?

I'm still trying to understand the double levy at the east blind. In the photo with the white goose decoys, is that the same levy that the 12' blind was on in the thick roseaus? We had the one good year out of it when we had the whole farm. Tucked under and in the middle of the cane we had thinned just a bit, they never new we were there. The specs loved that cut. My son still talks about those hunts today, It was wonderful.

When Jack had it sublet, he flooded the cuts south of the east blind without having to first flood it's huge north cut by scooping out a shallow lateral along the access road to the blind's south cut. The spoils from which were used to create a levee between the lateral and north cut. This guy apparently planned on abandoning our east blind and just carried that concept on down its levee to the next N/S levee and then followed it south until he got to the big cuts on the south end of the east piece. Tickled me that he screwed up what appears (judging by apparent usage) to still have been his most productive blind site, but not that he made such a mess of the farm in the doing.

He did, however, have sense enough [u]not[u] to put his middle field blind on the levee where Lopez put the 12-footer (we abandoned and eventually moved to the east blind location for Jarren's crew) I think you're talking about. That levee's south cut was very narrow and screwed it up. He put the blind where Lopez should have on the next levee north, with big cuts on both sides. I'm guessing that more likely the levee you've hunted and know it's a spot I'd sometimes slip into for speck pairs for our house way back when we kept the whole farm.

Re: the ducklings, your "deer" theory gave me some pause, as they looked more stomped than run over. I'd imagined a farm hand doing so, then not knowing what to do with his prizes, dropping them in a pile, but hadn't considered a deer.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 am

We actually hunted it in it's original position and did okay with a south wind, though we did take a few on north wind days as they'd turn and follow the levee to make their approach from the east and west. They did not like that small cut. I wanted badly to move the bind to that next northern cut but with the tractor issues we had that one year along with rain and poor drainage we were fortunate just to get those two cuts prepped . When we'd get sheet water those middle cuts would fill with ducks, then there's the breach we found and plugged in the middle north south canals east levee that would pour water into the middle cut. We had always wondered why it stayed so damn wet.

That entire middle section of that farm would be a spec and duck magnet if its prepped properly. It just takes time and money. I still haven't won the lottery.

Screenshot (3).png
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:42 am

The east/west section of the flood canal was so grass plugged that the north/south portion overflowed its south end before water got to the east blind, unless the pump was barely running. Most of that middle piece has p-poor drainage and stays near perfect, wet but not flooded, for red rice through benign neglect beyond annual or bi-annual plowing. But if you looked at the farm when the birds were in and hunters weren't, the east blind is/was most often their pick of the litter. Hence a bit of video I took by accident while trying to take a still of them not too long after the season:

Would be a fun farm to own and fix up, if not surrounded by crawfishing, but she wants top ag land dollar for land that needs a LOT of expensive work to make right.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:47 am

Rick wrote: she wants top ag land dollar for land that needs a LOT of expensive work to make right.

That's the truth. I think the only thing that's in half ass shape are the fill ditches on the east side and middle. It would take a complete makeover. I would love, love the opportunity. That flood/drain gate on the south east corner would need to be replaced.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:57 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote: she wants top ag land dollar for land that needs a LOT of expensive work to make right.

That's the truth. I think the only thing that's in half ass shape are the fill ditches on the east side and middle. It would take a complete makeover. I would love, love the opportunity. That flood/drain gate on the south east corner would need to be replaced.

Go for it high roller!
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Ducaholic wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

Go for it high roller!

Would you be my banker? I'd take you on a few hunts.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:22 am

DComeaux wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

Go for it high roller!

Would you be my banker? I'd take you on a few hunts.

I'll put in a good word for you... :lol:
Ducaholic

Postby BGkirk » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:26 pm

I know a fella who bought a couple farms, improved them And is now profiting... however I’m pretty sure he did not buy them at a high dollar rate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:40 pm

Been several years since I've seen a local farmer buying a farm, because they can't make it pay. Most land that is sold goes to wealthy hunters hoping only to help defray their costs and keep the land from returning to marsh through farming. Though an ag group out of MO has bought a couple, as well as the Southern BBQ building in Jennings, planning to be big time crawfishermen and wholesalers.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:48 am

Rick wrote:Been several years since I've seen a local farmer buying a farm, because they can't make it pay. Most land that is sold goes to wealthy hunters hoping only to help defray their costs and keep the land from returning to marsh through farming. Though an ag group out of MO has bought a couple, as well as the Southern BBQ building in Jennings, planning to be big time crawfishermen and wholesalers.

Increasing current crawfish acreage or just running what's already in crawfish ? Ohhh boy, "thanks"
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:39 pm

Darren wrote:Increasing current crawfish acreage or just running what's already in crawfish ? Ohhh boy, "thanks"

Most everything that can be crawfished has been for a while, unless it interferes with the owners' hunting. Though one of the places they bought is apparently being stripped for some sort of certified marsh fill, which isn't going to help area hunting any, either, but may do some habitat somewhere some good...
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 am

Mothers' Day crawfish and crab boil in Little Chenier yesterday included a "thank God for ringnecks and blue-wings" Oak Grove report. Well down from the year prior, which was also well down from the year prior. Dividing the shortfalls I was given by eight for a per-blind average made me feel better about mine two-back but even worse about last year.

And just to jerk Dave's chain: also learned of a stock holder who sold out, bought a couple farms on some river in Illinois and "...isn't ever hunting ducks in Louisiana again." Didn't ask if flooded corn was involved and doubt that the new Illinois land owner meant that to be taken literally. But could also be that SpinnerMan should start worrying about an influx of Louisiana carpetbaggers...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon May 11, 2020 11:51 am

Hunter migration.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Mon May 11, 2020 1:05 pm

DComeaux wrote:Hunter migration.

The millenials have been crashing the Okie and Arkansas party for quite sometime. I want to hunt the N Platte River before I croak. I'm thinking now is the time.
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Mon May 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Ducaholic wrote:

The millenials have been crashing the Okie and Arkansas party for quite sometime. I want to hunt the N Platte River before I croak. I'm thinking now is the time.

I've lost the urge to travel for hunting, not that it was strong, but all I want is to see and shoot a few ducks near my camp this fall.

I've been splitting fire wood for the camp and cutting up carp for crab bait. I have my second load of carp to cut up this evening. If we don't get a deluge over the summer we should do well with the white shrimp and reds in the fall. There is plenty of wigeon grass in the marsh already where conditions were right. The only thing I'm missing is the 4 or 5 acres of hybrid corn around my blind and ducks.

20200426_162156_resized.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 pm

Rick wrote:Mothers' Day crawfish and crab boil in Little Chenier yesterday included a "thank God for ringnecks and blue-wings" Oak Grove report. Well down from the year prior, which was also well down from the year prior. Dividing the shortfalls I was given by eight for a per-blind average made me feel better about mine two-back but even worse about last year.

And just to jerk Dave's chain: also learned of a stock holder who sold out, bought a couple farms on some river in Illinois and "...isn't ever hunting ducks in Louisiana again." Didn't ask if flooded corn was involved and doubt that the new Illinois land owner meant that to be taken literally. But could also be that SpinnerMan should start worrying about an influx of Louisiana carpetbaggers...

:lol:

Not in my part of the state.

My goose club got a lease on a prime property last year. Enough to add 4 more pits. It hasn't stopped raining long enough to get the pits in the fields. Not going to happen before the farmer has to plant this spring. Hopefully, we can get them in this fall. Didn't work last year.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 am

DComeaux wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:

I've lost the urge to travel for hunting, not that it was strong, but all I want is to see and shoot a few ducks near my camp this fall.
I've been splitting fire wood for the camp and cutting up carp for crab bait. I have my second load of carp to cut up this evening. If we don't get a deluge over the summer we should do well with the white shrimp and reds in the fall. There is plenty of wigeon grass in the marsh already where conditions were right. The only thing I'm missing is the 4 or 5 acres of hybrid corn around my blind and ducks.
20200426_162156_resized.jpg

Been a good spring (legit spring) to get your wood cut before the sweltering heat and humidity set in.
Darren

Postby BGkirk » Tue May 12, 2020 4:46 pm

Ducaholic wrote:

Let me know, That is a place on my list as well.

BGkirk

Postby DComeaux » Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Ducaholic wrote:The millenials have been crashing the Okie and Arkansas party for quite sometime

Yeah I've seen those on youtube for some time now, but today it's the high dollar duck club members fleeing the scene and I feel it's only going to get worse. My usual anticipation for the season opener has turned more to anxiety. Sure, the camp life is enjoyable, but the main attraction is missing and that's something I'll need to get used to, or not.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Wed May 13, 2020 4:02 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:The millenials have been crashing the Okie and Arkansas party for quite sometime

Yeah I've seen those on youtube for some time now, but today it's the high dollar duck club members fleeing the scene and I feel it's only going to get worse. My usual anticipation for the season opener has turned more to anxiety. Sure, the camp life is enjoyable, but the main attraction is missing and that's something I'll need to get used to, or not.

If we have a strong winter from a temp. and events perspective and I still don't do well I'll just admit my best days as a waterfowl killer have simply passed me by.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Thu May 14, 2020 7:40 am

Can be a strong winter all day long, if it's another with the above average rain we've had last few seasons (note the three years in a row now of BC Spillway openings), we will still have a tough time, but the birds will have a great time enjoying unpressured habitat.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 14, 2020 9:45 am

Oklahoma. I've been twice. If you hit the weather right, it's great.

In 2 different 3 day trips we never hit the weather right.

You don't see many birds, and what you see is usually flying low and heading to your pond if you're duck hunting.

We aren't going back, i would rather hunt a Midwest river setting where birds are moving up and down the river.

Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Thu May 14, 2020 11:44 am

Darren wrote:Can be a strong winter all day long, if it's another with the above average rain we've had last few seasons (note the three years in a row now of BC Spillway openings), we will still have a tough time, but the birds will have a great time enjoying unpressured habitat.

Agree and noted but if we get the right kind of weather events say similar to January 2018 they will come. Bottom line you need strong arctic fronts at least one every 7-10 days. When you get two in a 7-10 day period then it's on.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Fri May 15, 2020 7:25 am

Ducaholic wrote:
Darren wrote:Can be a strong winter all day long, if it's another with the above average rain we've had last few seasons (note the three years in a row now of BC Spillway openings), we will still have a tough time, but the birds will have a great time enjoying unpressured habitat.

Agree and noted but if we get the right kind of weather events say similar to January 2018 they will come. Bottom line you need strong arctic fronts at least one every 7-10 days. When you get two in a 7-10 day period then it's on.

You are mistaken, Jan 2018 was not good hunting, we have not had good hunting for many years, Louisiana has been dead for many years, its almost not worth hunting at all..........

Oh wait, January 2018 was tremendous, always fun to re-visit the logs on here from that time frame. On the other end of things, glad to see Coastal Zone opening on Nov 14 instead of the 7th this year, give us another week to get a good weather event through.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Fri May 15, 2020 7:28 am

January 2018 was real good to me.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri May 15, 2020 8:25 am

LDWF's gator guys were back at work yesterday, and we did our first farm releases in over a month(?). Lots of black-bellies, a few mottleds and woodies seen but no residual blue-wings where we were.

But the real news is that I finally got a haircut this morning!
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Fri May 15, 2020 8:49 am

Black belly population is exploding in northeast Louisiana. I figure they'll be a common part of our straps in years to come.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am

Whose blinds did you put them in this year...LOL!
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Fri May 15, 2020 10:50 am

Darren wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:

You are mistaken, Jan 2018 was not good hunting, we have not had good hunting for many years, Louisiana has been dead for many years, its almost not worth hunting at all..........

Oh wait, January 2018 was tremendous, always fun to re-visit the logs on here from that time frame. On the other end of things, glad to see Coastal Zone opening on Nov 14 instead of the 7th this year, give us another week to get a good weather event through.

Weather similar to the two January 2018's events are extremely rare. In my lifetime I would list 1983 Christmas Holiday period, 1989 early January, 2000 early January, 2013 two events in January as having similar impacts where ducks moved in to La. in extraordinary numbers over night due to a total lock up of lakes, bayous, and backwaters all the way to I-10. I'm sure there were more but those really stand out in my memory.

Hoping for the best! Everything beyond that is totally out of my control!
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Fri May 15, 2020 11:25 am

Ericdc wrote:Black belly population is exploding in northeast Louisiana. I figure they'll be a common part of our straps in years to come.

You'd think that, but when season comes, they often go MIA. Only places I routinely here of their regular season harvest is south central to southwest LA marshes but maybe that will evolve (trend northward). More and more people are reporting seeing them than before though, for sure.
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2019-2020