Looking ahead...

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:06 pm

Case in point lol
Ducaholic

Postby Johnc » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:00 pm

DComeaux wrote:Pfft... you can have the best hatch ever, means nothing if they don't make it here.

Lately I've been searching for a duck lease for a friend and have come across a few younger guy's with rice land that they lease. We've heard stories told of how good it was last year. After hearing details of their experiences their "GOOD" is not on the level of mine. Memory tends to get in the way.

This friend will be in for a rude awakening with price per blind compared to the blinds we had in the 80's, and also with what today's "good" looks like.

Exactly

Duck hunting is dead in agriculture here. Accept it. Sure their will be some good days but as far as consistent limits from the same pits duck wise,it’s done
Johnc

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:51 am

Ducaholic wrote:Case in point lol

BIG difference in most divers and a spoon when it makes it to the table. A spoon eats wing to wing with a pintail, teal, mallards. The dogs, cans, etc. usually do not.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:03 am

Darren wrote:

BIG difference in most divers and a spoon when it makes it to the table. A spoon eats wing to wing with a pintail, teal, mallards. The dogs, cans, etc. usually do not.

I've seen good and bad in all species. Given a choice spoons won't be anywhere near the top of my list for the table or the strap but lately I haven't been afforded that choice. Shovelers have earned their name honestly.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:10 am

Ducaholic wrote:
Darren wrote:

I've seen good and bad in all species. Given a choice spoons won't be anywhere near the top of my list for the table or the strap but lately I haven't been afforded that choice. Shovelers have earned their name honestly.

.......from the shape of their bill, not specifically their preferred food sources. In Bunkie we shoot teal full of rice, and spoons full of rice......one just happens to have a shovel-shaped bill, they spent all night/morning eating together.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:14 am

Darren wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:
Darren wrote:

.......from the shape of their bill, not specifically their preferred food sources. In Bunkie we shoot teal full of rice, and spoons full of rice......one just happens to have a shovel-shaped bill, they spent all night/morning eating together.

Shoot all you care to. They won't be anywhere near the top of my list given a choice even if they were eating filet mignon. ;)

And not only for the shape of their bill but also it's use:
Northern Shovelers often have their heads down in shallow wetlands, busily sweeping their bills side to side, filtering out aquatic invertebrates and seeds from the water.
Ducaholic

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:42 am

My point to all of this is the Average Joe duck hunter given the choice in most cases would shoot the most preferred species both for the table and the strap. Having to shoot spoons and divers at least in the circle of hunters that I rub elbows with is a sign of having to lower the bar for the reasons previously mentioned.

I also don't view hunting as a means to subsidizing my grocery bill. I hunt purely for the thrill of putting quality ducks over my decoys, killing a few, and then the dog work that follows. Lately I haven't done enough of either one and have chosen to shoot less than desirable species more than I care to admit just so my dog would have some work. That's another aspect of having to lower the bar in my opinion.

In the end it's a personal choice. My first choice may in fact differ from your own.
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:11 am

"Its flight resembles that of the Blue-winged Teal; and in tenderness as well as in flavour, it rivals, as an article of food, that beautiful bird. No sportsman who is a judge will ever pass a Shoveller to shoot a Canvass-back." - John J. Audubon
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:21 am

T'is the season, and yesterday my first day out looking:
015a.jpg

Hatchling market is way down, but it's still sweet to hike the more-semi-than-acutually-wild countryside for nests and other treasures, large:
002a.jpg

and small:
006a.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am

Rick wrote:"Its flight resembles that of the Blue-winged Teal; and in tenderness as well as in flavour, it rivals, as an article of food, that beautiful bird. No sportsman who is a judge will ever pass a Shoveller to shoot a Canvass-back." - John J. Audubon

Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder. :beer:
Ducaholic

Looking ahead...

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:06 am

I appreciate their late season plumage and the challenge of getting them to decoy. 5-10 years ago I gave them a pass most days because I could, but that hasn't been the case lately.

Flying fajita meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:18 am

Ericdc wrote:Image
I appreciate their late season plumage and the challenge of getting them to decoy. 5-10 years ago I gave them a pass most days because I could, but that hasn't been the case lately.

Flying fajita meat.

Lowering of the bar is the reality we all face! I’m right there with you!
Ducaholic

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 am

The average spoonie IQ has dramatically increased the last 7 or 8 years in my area. Used to we couldn’t shoot the things off of us. Now they’re acting like gadwall. I too have succumbed to shooting them to keep the dog from biting me.

In a somewhat related note, I saw a property advertised for sale for SIX THOUSAND dollhairs per acre today with attached duck kill log. Never thought I’d see a spoonie/teal hole for sale for 6k an acre. Granted it’s also an ag income producer but sheesh. Image
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:14 am

That is today's "good". Better hope the rice crop does well, or your pockets are really deep.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:16 am

Rick wrote:T'is the season, and yesterday my first day out looking:
015a.jpg

Hatchling market is way down, but it's still sweet to hike the more-semi-than-acutually-wild countryside for nests and other treasures, large:
002a.jpg

and small:
006a.jpg

How are the deer flies?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:00 pm

DComeaux wrote:How are the deer flies?

Some are fatter than they were the day before. Many are flatter...
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:28 pm

Rick wrote:

:lol:

Nice to be out given the weather is abnormally "cool" this week for this point on calendar.

Let the record show that I will stack spoons with the best of them, ideally not in my home marsh though, just the rice fed ones of SW and central La, dont care if his bill is shaped like a spoon or a saw.

DSC05264.JPG

DSC08014.JPG
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Duly noted :D
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 pm

The coyote knew how to handle spoons:
IMG_3451a.jpg

Then once they'd passed through the camp's kitchen, no one knew they weren't plump teal.
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Cool shot...lol
Ducaholic

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Rick wrote:

:lol:

I'm going to steal that one. :thumbsup:
SpinnerMan

Postby BGkirk » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Rick wrote:

Is there a known repellent for those? They are vicious. I’ll take skeeters all day

BGkirk

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:31 pm

Putting in proso millet where it was too wet for sunflowers.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:40 am

BGkirk wrote:Is there a known repellent for those? They are vicious. I’ll take skeeters all day

If there is, I'm unaware of it. But the most "interesting" ploy I've heard to date came from Lacassine NWR, where I was told they put stickum on (has to be) blue solo cups stuck on their hats that the deer flies attracted to the blue then got stuck to. Haven't tried it.
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:26 am

Rick wrote:
BGkirk wrote:Is there a known repellent for those? They are vicious. I’ll take skeeters all day

If there is, I'm unaware of it. But the most "interesting" ploy I've heard to date came from Lacassine NWR, where I was told they put stickum on (has to be) blue solo cups stuck on their hats that the deer flies attracted to the blue then got stuck to. Haven't tried it.
We can probably get away with that during teal season.
However being on the water is the best place to be.
Best be wearing long sleeves once you get near land. May give it a try

BGkirk

Looking ahead...

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:41 am

Rick wrote:

Similarly I’ve seen guys put a blue 5 gallon bucket with spray adhesive on it on a pvc pole and attach to their ATV. They swear by it.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:37 pm

Ericdc wrote:Image
Putting in proso millet where it was too wet for sunflowers.

We planted proso this year for the first time. Hasn’t rained since so I’m afraid I’ll have to go behind it with trusty brown top.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Looks like the ship is still sailing.

Screenshot (2).png
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:34 am

We'll see...
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 am

Saw, and glassed to confirm, a flight of wood storks this morning, which was surely an earliest ever stork sighting for me.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2019-2020