Teal Season 2019

Teal Season 2019

Postby Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:55 am

Sat. 9/14/2019 Opening Day
SE La Public Marsh
Johnny, Kyle and myself with Harry
Wind N/NE 0-10+, 80 deg, pt cloudy with nasty storms skirting just to our south, full moon

Had heck of a lightning show just beyond our path out to the blind. Didn't notice another hunting party on our travels in the dark, just no one giving it a shot in the area due to so few birds seen. Let one get away from us on first pair, got a suicide single a little later, and took all three from a trio that came pretty. That was it. Did have one group of 20+ appear to be breaking down on us right after a volley but we were standing and reloading, likely caught us in the process. Heard no other shots and were glad to stay dry once the weather passed through........was thinking about a few blinds of buddies I knew were south of me and in the heart of the storms. Though far from limits, having the trio work in so pretty to the call and taking all three sent us back to camp with smiles. Saw another nice group working the general area as we were leaving.

Harry had a good (and easy) morning rounding everything up within the pond.

5 BW teal

Season's first bird
IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

And our share of the salvinia so many are dealing with, thankfully just at the camp
IMG_1405.jpg

Reports from the greater St. Bernard parish varied from DNS to 8 birds was high hunt I heard of, both of those in areas that would be the historically strongest of the area, and had to ride out the ugly storms in the process. Some buddies hunting other public lands I frequent absolutely blistered them for a really quick 3 man limit.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Re: Teal Season 2019

Postby Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:03 am

Sun. 9/15/2019
SE La public marsh
Johnny, Beau and I with Harry
80s to start, wind N/NE 0-10+, pt cloudy, big moon

Back to same location of day before and it was about the same story, still very few birds in this area. Worked on a 5 pack for what seemed like an hour before finally putting them front and center pretty as you could imagine, 3 fell. Later a pair was coming on a string out front before one of them got hip to the game and broke to our backside taking the other with them. Had to shoot out the back and over the marsh on a long shot to get one of the two. That was it! Harry was nails rounding up two birds in the marsh grass, especially the longer of the two that he made a good mark on. We set up one other blind to our SW about 1,000 yards, they took 2 of 3 fired upon.

4 BW teal

IMG_1407.jpg

took both of us to hoist that heavy strap
IMG_1411.jpg

Reports from area ranged from DNS to 4-5 birds. Buddies with the stellar hunt yesterday went back and blazed out a 4-man limit but reported much fewer birds and many more people. That will be it for us down at the Shell Beach camp for teal season, brought boat home. Will focus efforts on my other stomping grounds closer to home for remainder of the season, with some scouting planned for Wednesday to hunt Thursday and the upcoming weekend.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 am

Was nice to be in the marsh.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Put in an admirable scouting effort this afternoon covering a lot of ground. Of course last place we go poking around in had the birds; mottleds, squealers by the droves, and sure enough a fair many teal. Going to give a new spot a try in the AM.
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:17 am

Thurs 9/19/2019
SE La public marsh
Johnny and I with Harry
Wind ZERO, upper 70's, clear

Hole was a bust for today despite train loads of alternative species........whistle teal (squealers), rainbow teal (woodies, of course), and mottleds. Could have sunk the boat in those species, but instead went home empty handed. Had one single teal light just wide of us but looks like as the water has gone down a good bit the areas flooded feed is out of play thus losing its draw. Its plenty of work to get in there but likely is worth another shot with some wind and higher water, of which we'll have both this weekend.

DNS

Was at least helpful to know my buddy's spot in the vicinity also struggled today and it had been red hot; the birds we have just weren't moving.
Darren

Postby MARSH BEAR » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 am

Darren - I am leaving tonite to hunt Friday, Saturday and Sunday - I think my hunts will be like yours today. Tropical Storm Imelda has dropped large amounts of rain in our hunting area, and I think the Teal will be scattered all over Cameron and Calcasieu parishes. But I am going anyway.
MARSH BEAR

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:26 pm

MARSH BEAR wrote:Darren - I am leaving tonite to hunt Friday, Saturday and Sunday - I think my hunts will be like yours today. Tropical Storm Imelda has dropped large amounts of rain in our hunting area, and I think the Teal will be scattered all over Cameron and Calcasieu parishes. But I am going anyway.

Hope you have better luck, I was bummed this morning for sure but have to always remember, that's teal hunting.....here today gone tomorrow Even our strongest honey hole in the stellar 2011 teal season had a couple of stinker hunts in between the slaughters. This morning reminded me of just that; felt stale, no weather/wind. Hope all makes out OK over that way with all that rain.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Sat. 9/21/2019
SE La public marsh
Johnny, Anthony and I with Harry
Wind E 10-15+, pt cloudy w/ some showers around, low 70's, pleasant

Back to spot from last year under great conditions, though water way up beyond what I'd hope for. No birds. Had a single commit, rolled him with my blind's only shot, Harry went get it, and that was that. To add insult to injury we listened to areas east of us bang away all morning. Wrapped up hunt early to take a ride doing a little scouting and jumped but one teal. Our buddies in the thick of that managed yet another 4 man limit.

1 BW teal

Water is way high and still rising, likely to really jump up more overnight with the rising tide. Plans for tomorrow really up in the air, may opt to wait till mid week when water has receded a bit. Pretty soured on the whole game at the moment anyway though some in my circles are riding high on what's been best season since 2011 and is actually rumored to be on pace to beat it.
Darren

Postby Darren » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:52 am

Opted not to hunt on Sunday but group of buddies did. Sounded like there were fewer birds but they did luck into a band

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

He didn't last too long carrying his jewelry.

Planning to get back after it later this week for a couple of hunts to close it out.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:59 am

Nice!
Ducaholic

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:23 am

Wow fresh band!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:52 am

Thurs. 9/26/2019
SE La public marsh
Johnny and I with Harry
Wind WNW 0-5+, 70's, clear

Gave what has been a hot area for some (though not for us on our only try) another shot for our last hunt of the short season. Still did not see much but once I got up in the area in the dark it was easy to see why the birds had been there, very shallow, etc. Watched a whole lot of squealers, woodies and mottleds most of the morning without so much as picking up the call. Right about 7:00a caught a glimpse of a good wad working well south of us and starting hollering at them on the Duck Commander teal call; told Johnny "they're coming hot and low on the right" and before we knew it they were in our faces.......two fell. While Harry was rounding them up got another skirting pair to buy in and neither left. That was it. Some others in the area did a little bit more shooting than us but another blind of buddies didn't shoot and they weren't but 400 yards from us.

4 BW teal

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.JPG

Pretty morning, learned a new spot or three, but ready for the real deal in November.
Darren

Postby BGkirk » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:07 pm

That’s a beautiful SHALLOW hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Yes it is.
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:21 am

Shin deep on the dog, some heavy patches of coontail among other misc. SAV, it's gorgeous in there. Only issue for regular season will be tides. Right now they're slightly on the high side and it's ideal in there. When it dips closer to normal and below, will be mud flats with only pockets holding water........the ducks will be able to get there, but we won't.

Took me all night but finally got it done, crunching all these numbers for my season wrap up was a daunting process but I persevered:

Made 5 hunts, killed 14 blue wings. This is the lowest season total for me since 2016, when I killed 14 teal on just 3 hunts due to pending arrival of daughter.

Normally a slow teal season would be about par for our area but with the habitat improvements of recent years, there are pockets of very strong hunting seemingly pretty regularly now, I just wasn't prepared to hunt those areas due to lack of scouting where I needed to, despite having made plans and intentions to do so for the entire off-season. Won't happen again!

Nonetheless, we killed a few birds, Harry got some work in and enjoyed himself so that scratched the itch. We're ready for the Nov 9 coastal zone opener, though. Also have a couple of work days coming up at the Avoyelles Parish farm.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:54 pm

Note to log: buddies had a big hunt in Venice yesterday evening and cousin Kyle had a good one in our public stomping grounds near shell beach today.
Darren

Postby Darren » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:28 pm

Darren wrote:Note to log: buddies had a big hunt in Venice yesterday evening and cousin Kyle had a good one in our public stomping grounds near shell beach today.

Update: Buddies ending up with something like 85 teal over three hunts in same hole in Venice over the weekend. Kyle returned next day to his Saturday location and didn't see a teal......sounds about right.
Darren

Return to Darren 2019-2020