Duck Season 2019-2020

Re: Duck Season 2019-2020

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Pretty much the braying jackasses of the bird world. Been listening to them somewhere over on Cherry Ridge on and off this season: ON this still morning.
Rick

Postby Darren » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:43 am

Sat. 12/28/2019
Klondike fresh marsh
David B. and I with Rick and Marsh
60’s, light to heavy fog, wind SE 5-10

Was hopeful given the wind and the fog wasn’t too bad to start with, sure enough got us going with an early greenhead off the bat and ended up seeing good many birds. Plenty teal doing as they should and occasional big ducks, gave us the luxury of holding off on more teal to close out with two more mallards about 8:00a. First ones back to the boat house and the breakfast table. Great morning that went just as you’d wish they always would. Many thanks, Rick.

(18) 5 mallards, 10 green wings, 2 squealers, 1 token spoon

David spoiled on his first trip to the Mudhole
485FD1BA-6897-46BD-A152-29EF8E1DDA8C.jpeg

CE141DC8-C2B3-44A2-98A2-4DB5A724B306.jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:48 am

WOW!
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Y'all made it easy.
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Ya only shoot drake green wings ?
Fine fine hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Darren » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:23 am

BGkirk wrote:Ya only shoot drake green wings ?
Fine fine hunt

Oh yea, all we shoot is drakes, until we shoot a few hens :D
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:28 am

Sun. 12/29/2019
Klondike area fresh marsh
Johnny and I with guide Isaac
60’s, south winds 5-15, approaching front, occasional rain shower

Much less flight than yesterday other than some serious pintail flights that I never saw even blink for the call. Scraped for everything we could muster and had a nice time.

(9) 4 blue wing teal, 2 green wing teal, 3 spoons

AE126951-7DDC-42AC-9E5A-8AB5D7FC32FE.jpeg

And our welcome party back at the boat house

001FC033-F9DF-46FD-96C0-3F1E0F1D28D9.jpeg

Have plans to hit home marsh tomorrow behind this front.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 am

Congrats on a couple of fine hunts in Klondike Darren!!!!!! Looking at the first pic of birds on the truck bed from your hunt with Rick, I see that you, or somebody you are with, has the green, waterproof gun case cover. I saw them in the Mack's Prairie Wing catalog this year and bought one too. Considering the conditions we sometimes have to hunt in, a damn good investment!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Deltaman wrote:Congrats on a couple of fine hunts in Klondike Darren!!!!!! Looking at the first pic of birds on the truck bed from your hunt with Rick, I see that you, or somebody you are with, has the green, waterproof gun case cover. I saw them in the Mack's Prairie Wing catalog this year and bought one too. Considering the conditions we sometimes have to hunt in, a damn good investment!!!!

What you are talking about in the truck is the closest thing to those currently on the market, but is of a product long discontinued called a “Gun Boat”, mine gifted to me in roughly 1997 by a good family friend. A must-have for all the pirogue and flat boat time my gun travels. It leaks at the seams so I keep patching with silicone, still far better than my regular case getting wet and muddy as often as it would without it. :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:03 pm

Monday 12/30/2019
Delacroix lease
Johnny, Matthew M. and I with Harry
Post-front over night passage, NW winds 10-20, low 50’s, cloudy to clearing late

Had high hopes for this hunt but ended up not seeing a whole heck of a lot. Did eventually have some nice ops that we should have made more out of but they were few and far between. Closed the hunt out with a sweet group of grays that I worked around three times before they finished pretty in front of us, only got three when we should have had 5+. Did have one looooong off crip too far to send Harry though he seemed to have a mark on it and wanted to go. Just still too far/out of sight and not enough water around to paddle to it.....it’s low and falling, mudflats growing, even left the dekes out after hunt with plans to return later this week.

Still just glad Matthew got to shoot his gun after a nice run of very poor hunts with me.

5 grays

CA53B3DE-4513-45E3-90A1-B8D90CB62B9C.jpeg

6F8614E2-3DEC-4E06-B501-C44771E0E406.jpeg

Need to take a day or two off to recover but scheming for later in the week somewhere.
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:42 pm

Booner gadwall there
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:49 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Booner gadwall there

Yea it was a good one; unfortunately the only drake of the bunch.

Today had me pretty frustrated with steel shot, may invest in some (heavier) shot type for next year. Just tired of seeing grays hit on windy days in very reasonable range, flying off 300 yards, only to fall out of the sky dead as a hammer thus making recovery an adventure. We are shooting steel 3's out of light mod or IC chokes.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Get em right and tight. I love grays.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:05 am

Darren wrote:Today had me pretty frustrated with steel shot, may invest in some (heavier) shot type for next year. Just tired of seeing grays hit on windy days in very reasonable range, flying off 300 yards, only to fall out of the sky dead as a hammer thus making recovery an adventure. We are shooting steel 3's out of light mod or IC chokes.

Yeah, that's it: probably that damned ol' steel shot. Lead dropped 'em all dead in the decoys.

Not.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:51 am

Shocker, a couple of the answers I expected....."well just get them close and they'll fall fine." Yes they sure will and usually do, but for the ones bailing out on a 20 knot wind but still within lethal range.....not so much, the steel goes clean through and through and allows the bird to fly a distance before succumbing. Some opt for a particularly tight pattern to compensate for this issue, just overwhelming the target with shot in a tight circle. No thanks, I'd like to eat the teal in close.

The premise here is that I'd like to try a smaller shot size to drastically increase my pattern density. Only way to do that and maintain current lethal range is to go to denser shot type.
Darren

Postby Johnc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:55 am

Go to 2’s

All the pattern density in the world of smaller shot as far as steel is not going to make up for a lacking of put down right there power

Now keep in mind this is steel I am speaking of

Hevi “x” in 6’s or something comparable is a different animal
Johnc

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:01 pm

Darren wrote:Shocker, a couple of the answers I expected....."well just get them close and they'll fall fine." Yes they sure will and usually do, but for the ones bailing out on a 20 knot wind but still within lethal range.....not so much, the steel goes clean through and through and allows the bird to fly a distance before succumbing. Some opt for a particularly tight pattern to compensate for this issue, just overwhelming the target with shot in a tight circle. No thanks, I'd like to eat the teal in close.

The premise here is that I'd like to try a smaller shot size to drastically increase my pattern density. Only way to do that and maintain current lethal range is to go to denser shot type.

Whatever floats your boat. I was mostly pickin'.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:44 pm

Agree with John. 2s or BBs in those conditions.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Johnc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:01 pm

I shoot only BB’s goose hunting for the purpose of wing breaking and head /neck trauma. I believe in steel large enough to carry energy to do as such while maintaining decent pattern density.

Body shots with too small of steel results in going down at an angle then either dying where they land or folding in air and dropping

I know from witnessing both hevi “x” and these boss shells,,that if smaller shot size is desired,both are excellent. Enough to make me say damn and I am rarely impressed

I can’t afford so I shoot simple 3 inch 1 1/4 oz bb’s

Or 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 oz BB’s in the 10

But in the situation described either up size to 2’s or go to modified constriction. But in my opinion tightening isn’t going to make up for lack of knock down power.
Johnc

Postby Darren » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:15 pm

Johnc wrote:I shoot only BB’s goose hunting for the purpose of wing breaking and head /neck trauma. I believe in steel large enough to carry energy to do as such while maintaining decent pattern density.

Body shots with too small of steel results in going down at an angle then either dying where they land or folding in air and dropping

I know from witnessing both hevi “x” and these boss shells,,that if smaller shot size is desired,both are excellent. Enough to make me say damn and I am rarely impressed

But in the situation described either up size to 2’s or go to modified constriction. But in my opinion tightening isn’t going to make up for lack of knock down power.

John's got it on the head. Yes it is an expensive route, but if I'm not burning through as many shells as in years passed, and to think of all the other random non-necessities I spend on, the prospect of a more expensive shell isn't as daunting as initially thought. Hoped to demo a box of Boss this year but haven't gotten around to making an order.........but that concept is exactly what I'm talking about.......#5's in a high-density load, makes for a super high-density pattern that still has punch-per-pellet.....and lots of them.

Speaking of a 10 gauge: had the pleasure of shooting another guest's auto 10 (forgot the make) at a couple of clays while at Doug's the other day. Didn't hit a thing, and it wholluped me, but could see its potential for handiness in the goose field. Was glad to go back to my little 20 g O/U I was piddling with at the time.
Last edited by Darren on Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darren

Postby Darren » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:26 pm

Wed. 1/1/2020
Delacroix - Fog Hole
Johnny and I with Harry
50's, mostly cloudy, NE winds 5-10+, low water

Figuring our main pond we've been hitting is mud with the low water, gave another option a shot. Could hear grays and teal upwind of us while setting up our guerrilla blind but overall didn't see a whole lot, and didn't make the most of our chances. In fact, did flat poorly with them. Did also have one gray dive on Harry never to show again, grrrr. Woulda, coulda, shoulda had 8 on the strap.......kicking ourselves. Had a nice redfish tailing in the decoys, should have brought along a rod to bulk up our strap.

(4) 2 GW teal, 1 mottled, 1 gray

Had 4 mottleds turn for the gray call like they were the same, then turned into big 'ol local mottleds as they got in close, and unfortunately behind us for an awkward op

IMG_2608 - Copy.JPG

Winds are easterly and water coming in, have my wife penciled in to join me in the morning, hope a few show for her. And as a side note to the log, my buddy and his family made a hunt at the Bunkie blind yesterday, putting three nice specks on the ground making some great memories for the young boys on the hunt.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:59 pm

Darren wrote:
Johnc wrote:I shoot only BB’s goose hunting for the purpose of wing breaking and head /neck trauma. I believe in steel large enough to carry energy to do as such while maintaining decent pattern density.

John's got it on the head. Yes it is an expensive route, but if I'm not burning through as many shells as in years passed, and to think of all the other random non-necessities I spend on, the prospect of a more expensive shell isn't as daunting as initially thought. Hoped to demo a box of Boss this year but haven't gotten around to making an order.........but that concept is exactly what I'm talking about.......#5's in a high-density load, makes for a super high-density pattern that still has punch-per-pellet.....and lots of them.

Speaking of a 10 gauge: had the pleasure of shooting another guest's auto 10 (forgot the make) at a couple of clays while at Doug's the other day. Didn't hit a thing, and it wholluped me, but could see its potential for handiness in the goose field. Was glad to go back to my little 20 g O/U I was piddling with at the time.

I shoot 12 Ga 3” and 3 1/2” 3’s in good quality ammo. 3” goes in the chamber first backed up by two 3 1/2”. If you shoot good stuff and shoot 2 cases per year you are spending 200.00 more per season. It’s a no brainer. None of that means you shoot them further but it does mean what you hit dies.
Ducaholic

Postby Johnc » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Yes that’s an excellent point. This isn’t for sky busting purposes. It’s for ethically being able to harvest and retrieve killeable birds without chasing so much or running the dog to death.

As far as my 10 gauge. It’s a browning gold. There is not much felt recoil. At times I think less then my 12. And I think an SP-10 kicks even less but it’s heavier

It is slow though. For me. Smaller stature. 28 inch barrel it’s a lot of gun. Fine on geese. But on ducks I feel the cumbersome character at times but we have so few opportunities Duck wise I would much rather the goose advantage

Basically i
Johnc

Postby MallardBay » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:52 pm

Hoped to demo a box of Boss this year but haven't gotten around to making an order..........[/quote]

Darren, if you get around to going the heavier than steel loads, try the Hevi-Metal. I have shot them for some time now and it is definitely a step up from steel without being crazy expensive. I am amazed that how often people spend thousands a year on all kinds of waterfowl gear and travel and then shoot the cheapest shell they find on the shelf, yea it works fine "most" of the time. I want the best possible advantage that I can afford. Even if I only shoot those loads on high winds or days that birds are not setting up perfect. BTW I bought 100 of the Boss shells which are copper plated bismuth. I like them and they are a step up from steel but I'd personally give the edge to the Hevi-metal for lethality and cost effectiveness. Just my opinion.
MallardBay

Postby Darren » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:45 am

Johnc wrote: This isn’t for sky busting purposes. It’s for ethically being able to harvest and retrieve killeable birds without chasing so much or running the dog to death.

Yup, exactly that. And my dog's not whistle trained so on the really far ones, I go with him on the search if he didn't see it fall.......that's my time out the blind, and thus shooting ops I miss, or worse, shooting ops I ruin because approaching flights caught me.
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:48 am

MallardBay wrote:
Darren, if you get around to going the heavier than steel loads, try the Hevi-Metal. I have shot them for some time now and it is definitely a step up from steel without being crazy expensive. I am amazed that how often people spend thousands a year on all kinds of waterfowl gear and travel and then shoot the cheapest shell they find on the shelf, yea it works fine "most" of the time. I want the best possible advantage that I can afford. Even if I only shoot those loads on high winds or days that birds are not setting up perfect. BTW I bought 100 of the Boss shells which are copper plated bismuth. I like them and they are a step up from steel but I'd personally give the edge to the Hevi-metal for lethality and cost effectiveness. Just my opinion.

Very much appreciate the input, I'll be looking at multiple options for sure. Would like to see the density of hevi-metal vs. bismuth, Hevi-X, etc.

Are you going with smaller shot size with Hevi-Metal or sticking to the traditional 2's and 3's?

South/SE wind is gettin' it outside, hoping all goes smoothly for the wife and I to head out in a little while. Handing off my sleeping kids to their granny and gramps here at the camp. Good luck today, guys.
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:06 pm

Thurs. 1/2/2020
Delacroix lease
Ella and I with Harry
Mid 60's, S/SE winds 10-20, cloudy

Hoped to get the wife on some shooting and sure enough two grays came looking to start us off early, but wasn't a whole lot after that. Knocked down both of those first two, though one went down long off and didn't have a good line for our search later that went futile. Should have called the shot on a pack of mottleds that were in but not quite right......got an earful for that :lol: Got one more gray from a few that dropped on top of us suddenly and that was it. Ended up seeing quite a few birds on our ride out again so there's some in area, just not on us right now (still!). Try them again on Saturday in big NW winds I think

2 grays

mostly this
IMG_2611.JPG

But a few smiles
IMG_2629.JPG

Raymond and a buddy got 4 or so at another location nearby today, missed a few they said, didn't see much in between their ops.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Nice, I hope to bring Tricia next Wednesday possibly.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Glad at least a few showed for her.
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:56 pm

Poor Ella , making her use a pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BGkirk

PreviousNext