New decade...new farm and a camp.

Re: New decade...new farm and a camp.

Postby BigHutch » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:40 pm

Everything is looking good. Thanks for the pictures.
BigHutch

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:51 am

Looking good Eric!

Do y’all have access to the corn field behind camp for geese?
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:22 am

Duck Engr wrote:Looking good Eric!

Do y’all have access to the corn field behind camp for geese?
Yes, geese and doves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:45 am

Awesome. Even if you couldn’t hunt it it’d still be cool to be able to sit around the fire and watch fowl right behind camp!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

New decade...new farm and a camp.

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:58 am

Right, we can watch our smaller field from the camp, it's walking distance from the camp at a little over a 1/4 of a mile, so it'll be real nice sitting outside in afternoons cooking or something and watching birds go in.

Ericdc

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:05 am

That’s a dream setup right there. I hope you take videos and pictures for us this season!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 am

Ericdc wrote:Right, we can watch our smaller field from the camp, it's walking distance from the camp at a little over a 1/4 of a mile, so it'll be real nice sitting outside in afternoons cooking or something and watching birds go in.

And sweet going out to in the morning, as not blowing them out with blankety-blank 4-wheelers will let you hear the birds getting out as you walk in. That's something I miss from my rice days, as it always got my anticipatory juices flowing. And never mind that I knew most weren't returning for our morning hunt.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:48 am

Nothing like a walk down a rice field levee with wings erupting around you.

Looks like a sweet spot, Eric. Looking forward to when the birds start showing
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:52 am

Rick wrote:
Ericdc wrote:Right, we can watch our smaller field from the camp, it's walking distance from the camp at a little over a 1/4 of a mile, so it'll be real nice sitting outside in afternoons cooking or something and watching birds go in.

And sweet going out to in the morning, as not blowing them out with blankety-blank 4-wheelers will let you hear the birds getting out as you walk in. That's something I miss from my rice days, as it always got my anticipatory juices flowing. And never mind that I knew most weren't returning for our morning hunt.
Due to a large canal I don't think we can avoid not riding to the field but we will not ride "into" the field.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Rick wrote:And sweet going out to in the morning, as not blowing them out with blankety-blank 4-wheelers will let you hear the birds getting out as you walk in. That's something I miss from my rice days, as it always got my anticipatory juices flowing. And never mind that I knew most weren't returning for our morning hunt.

Me too.... and most times they didn't.

Looking good Eric. Seems to be a perfect set up.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:07 pm

Took my buddy David, who has hunted with me a good bit over the last 2 seasons, by the camp and farm this morning. David took a finance job with our company, Weyerhaeuser, back in April, but the corporate office in Seattle isn't reopening anytime soon so he's working remotely through the end of the year. We went by Simmons so he could get a few cases of shells since he'll be here for most of the season.

Didn't take pics, but our rice is starting to head, and they have done a lot of work on our farm roads this summer, which is good.

Window units in camp are being worked on and if they don't start working, they'll be replaced. They are starting to cut corn up there, will be a while before they cut ours around camp since it was planted late. Don't know if it'll be cut by dove season.

The CRP portion of our south blind field is growing up thick with indigos and yellow nutsedge behind the pit.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:22 pm

Oh and my calls came back polished, tuned, and ready for the fall.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:28 pm

Ericdc wrote:Image
Oh and my calls came back polished, tuned, and ready for the fall.

If you want them to be tuned as they are now, either plan on changing out the corks before the season or pull and store the ones now in them until the season. Takes years to booger a reed through wear, but corks can lose their elasticity and ability to put pressure on the reed just sitting in a call. Mine get changed a couple or three times most seasons, and it's a little like getting a new, crisper version of the call.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:30 pm

Yea Rick, I usually change out cork during the season also. I've got a bag of spare cork they sent me a few years ago.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:31 pm

I do like getting the acrylic polished and the bands before going through another wet muddy season in the pit.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:10 am

Those sure are perty, but my cracked DR-85 was still fooling our local wary mottled ducks last season, so thinking spending more not in the cards for me on the call front.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:51 am

Darren wrote:Those sure are perty, but my cracked DR-85 was still fooling our local wary mottled ducks last season, so thinking spending more not in the cards for me on the call front.
I'm not a collector by any means, those 4 calls were bought over a 10 year period. I put the 2 40th anniversary calls on my lanyard with my redbone and pierce whistle.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:24 am

Ericdc wrote:
Darren wrote:Those sure are perty, but my cracked DR-85 was still fooling our local wary mottled ducks last season, so thinking spending more not in the cards for me on the call front.
I'm not a collector by any means, those 4 calls were bought over a 10 year period. I put the 2 40th anniversary calls on my lanyard with my redbone and pierce whistle.

My Haydel's MP-90 is responsible for more dead ducks than any other call on my lanyard. Our marsh grays will work with a mallard call on a limited basis, but they are suckers for some grunted whistling as well as wigeon whistling.
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:39 pm

Don't think the fellow who's the most effective human predator I know uses anything but a self-made Calcutta cane whistle over in the toe end of the state. Well, that and the ability and will to do whatever it takes to go where other hunters can't or won't and hide like a sniper where the birds want to be. First time he heard me hail a flight of high big ducks, he caught me up short with, "Jeeeezus you must be proud of that call." And I like to blew the cork out of it laughing.

Can still hear hims say that all these years later.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Rick wrote:Don't think the fellow who's the most effective human predator I know uses anything but a self-made Calcutta cane whistle over in the toe end of the state. Well, that and the ability and will to do whatever it takes to go where other hunters can't or won't and hide like a sniper where the birds want to be. First time he heard me hail a flight of high big ducks, he caught me up short with, "Jeeeezus you must be proud of that call." And I like to blew the cork out of it laughing.

Can still hear hims say that all these years later.
Some prefer to go to em and some prefer to bring em to them. Pluses and minuses to both approaches.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ericdc » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:57 pm

I like bringing them to me, takes a lot of work keeping it brushed, and the decoys set.

Have hunted many an ag and a few marsh blinds that you could tell hadn't been tended to since November. Decoys tangled up or in the wrong place and not enough brush on the blind to hide from a squealer in September.

I do respect the guys who will go to the bushes and do what they have to do, but I get as much from fooling them as I do shooting them out of a place I set up.

Ericdc

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:58 pm

I get much more out of bringing them to me than I do bushwhacking.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Previous

Return to Ericdc 2019-2020