Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby Ericdc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:13 pm

Next week at my lease Image

Just hope they keep coming...hopefully it’ll get the deer moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Darren » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:14 am

Ericdc wrote:Next week at my lease Image

Just hope they keep coming...hopefully it’ll get the deer moving.

Yea thought about you this morning when I saw they were talking 29 for BR Wednesday morning. That's freezing up fields up your way, no??

Would kill to be able to hit a field on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings next week.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:22 am

Yea we will be froze Tuesday night through Thursday or Friday.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:12 pm

November coastal survey

COMMENTS:

This is a preliminary report with only data from the coastal transect survey and Catahoula Lake. An updated report will be issued when surveys in Northwest and Northeast Louisiana are completed next week.

The 1.04 million ducks on this survey is the 3rd lowest November estimate since this survey began in 1969 ahead of only 2008 (958,000) and 2013 (1,02 million). It is barely half the most recent 5-year and long-term averages of 2.0 million. Long-term trend in November estimates is depicted in Figure 1, and locations of the 27 transects flown since 1969, 17 in SW LA and 10 in SE LA, are shown in Figure 2.

Last November’s survey was not completed because of bad weather, and comparisons with this year are only possible for SW LA. The 597,000 total ducks estimated in SW LA on this survey is more than twice the 247,000 estimated in November 2018 but remains the lowest in this region in at least 10 years, 40% below the 2008-2017 average of 994,000.

Estimates for all species except mottled ducks were higher than last November in SW LA. However, over the entire surveyed area, all dabbling ducks except shovelers were below long-term averages, and except for blue-winged teal (166,000 vs 183,000), they were less than half LTA. The estimate for coots was 47% below the most recent 10-year average of 906,000 as well. Conversely, all diving duck species were above their long-term November averages. Notable concentrations of ducks in SW LA were mostly gadwall seen on the west side of Rockefeller Refuge, and in the marsh south and east of Calcasieu Lake. In SE LA the largest flocks of mostly blue-winged teal were seen in the marsh north of Pointe a la Hache, and east of Venice.

The 103,000 ducks counted at Catahoula Lake is about the same as the most recent 10-year average, with more diving ducks than normal for November. Water level was about 1 foot below target for opening of the waterfowl season during the survey, and foraging conditions were excellent for dabbling ducks. Moist-soil vegetation was much improved from the September survey, and habitat conditions appear very good if water levels can be maintained within management targets.

Ericdc

Previous

Return to Ericdc 2019-2020