Waders: Macks or Cabelas?

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Waders: Macks or Cabelas?

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Both Macks and Cabelas have waders on sale right now. I'm looking at the Macks Big Jr 5mm and Cabelas 5mm Neostretch (sorry, can't link to them here because I can't get to their website on the work computer, and on the phone it goes to their mobile site).

Anyone have any experience with Macks or Cabelas waders? Both of those two are around $130 right now if I remember right (if you get the hawaiian design at cabelas, or I guess they call it duck blind).
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: Waders: Macks or Cabelas?

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:38 pm

the only reason i buy my wader from cabelas is so i get cabelas point from my cabelas card. Im guessing theyre both about the same. I have the 3mm cabelas, fine for what i need them for, if you want more insualtion in the feet, wear another pair of socks. Our season is ghey here and starts early october when its still 70*, so anything more than 3mm can be too warm.
BrewGUN

Postby huntntech » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm

I have had the Mack's Grand Prairie waders for 2 seasons now. No complaints here. I like how they have seam sealer on the inside of every seam. They are about as comfortable as a wader can be for me.
huntntech

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 pm

I love my Cabelas breathables
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:27 pm

I really feel that breathable waders will be too cold for me. I get cold easy and even with my 5mm waders that I have now, I can get cold if I'm standing in icy water. I won't walk out of a hunt because of the cold, but it's nice to be comfortable and I can deal with the warm temps early on (we get those same temp fluctuations here brewgun).
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Makes sense for u goldie,

I had some real nice 5mm neoprenes, sold 'em off. Wont ever own them again. I do have some first rate wader pants and wool socks to wear with my breathables. Seems to work good for me.
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm

My Macks big ditch waders are leaking in their second year. From the crotch down the right leg at seams, no holes. They only had a 1 year warranty. Besides from being a piece of shit, they were comfy. Go with Cabelas.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:03 pm

jarbo03 wrote:My Macks big ditch waders are leaking in their second year. From the crotch down the right leg at seams, no holes. They only had a 1 year warranty. Besides from being a piece of shit, they were comfy. Go with Cabelas.

Lol. Honest answer, from someone I know put them to the test. Thanks.

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:54 pm

With the drought I hunted til Dec before I got into water over my knees. When we froze up had to find deeper water in the river, nothing like realizing your waders leak while breaking ice!
It sucks, the Macks are the most comfy waders I have ever worn.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 am

Goldfish wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:My Macks big ditch waders are leaking in their second year. From the crotch down the right leg at seams, no holes. They only had a 1 year warranty. Besides from being a piece of shit, they were comfy. Go with Cabelas.

Lol. Honest answer, from someone I know put them to the test. Thanks.

sent from a phancy fone

Anything that passes the Jarbo stress test is NEVER gonna break!!!!

How many phones have you owned Jarbo? :fishing:
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:30 am

I have been known to trash a phone or 2, or 5.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:36 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I have been known to trash a phone or 2, or 5.

I'm with you on that one. Since jun of 2010, when i finally caved in and bought a phone, i have owned 2 original droids, 2 galaxy s, and now a cheapo droid from walmart.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm

I have worn cabelas for the last 15 years, only two pair. The pair I have now is starting to leak in the crotch. One of the boys that hunts with us bought a pair of macks this year and they started leaking after the sixth hunt. It would be hard for me to buy a pair of macks, just saying. All manufacturers are going to have a bad procuct now and again, but I don't like my balls getting wet in 15 degree weather. I'll get another pair of cabelas ultimates next season :thumbsup:
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 am

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:I have worn cabelas for the last 15 years, only two pair. The pair I have now is starting to leak in the crotch. One of the boys that hunts with us bought a pair of macks this year and they started leaking after the sixth hunt. It would be hard for me to buy a pair of macks, just saying. All manufacturers are going to have a bad procuct now and again, but I don't like my balls getting wet in 15 degree weather. I'll get another pair of cabelas ultimates next season :thumbsup:
My old Cabelas waders will eventually start 'seeping' at the crotch. Nothing too serious but it is embarrasing when I take my waders off and it looks like...you know.

I have some old jeans made of gore-tex. I wear those underneath the old "leakers" and then it's not so bad unless I have to stand in water all day. Wader-liners might help extend your wader use a bit longer.

There is only one place to return/rexchange if you buy them at Macks but there are I dunno how many Cabelas stores now. Unless you live 100 miles or less from stuttgart, get the Cabelas.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 am

I still don't see how people can buy a product, beat the hell out of them and then expect a free pair when the inevitable happens.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:22 am

Same here. I'm cheap, but I'm not a thief.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 am

Flightstopper wrote:I still don't see how people can buy a product, beat the hell out of them and then expect a free pair when the inevitable happens.

I know a guy who went out and bought 3 pairs of waders from cabelas: an early season, midseason, and bad ass heavy duty.

Every year he returns a pair, leaking or not. Every year he has 3 sets of waders that never leak.
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Fuck Macks, pieces of shit!

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:53 pm

I've had both and honestly I didn't find one anymore durable than the other. My current Mack's are holding up real well. The stitching on my cabelas waders started coming out right away in areas where leaks aren't a concern, like up on the shoulders straps or the front pouch. And I do agree with Jarbo, Mack's are much more comfortable. And I prefer their boots. They seem to fit more like mud boots rather than giant sloppy moon boots
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:12 pm

I had the lacrosse waders, 5mm, they were too warm for me. I recently switched to the cabela's breathables. The first set I took out and on the first hunt with them punched a hole in them near the boot. I am hoping the 2nd pair that they gave me in exchange will last longer.
goodkarmarising

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 pm

I am headed into my third season with cabelas breathables. Love em.
Tomkat

Postby rozzo842 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:09 pm

I've been kicking around buying one of these two brands in a breathable for awhile. I think I'm going with macks. They seem to have more features at the se price as cabelas.
rozzo842

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:39 pm

rozzo842 wrote:I've been kicking around buying one of these two brands in a breathable for awhile. I think I'm going with macks. They seem to have more features at the se price as cabelas.

Rozzo842, I dont know you.

But I want you to remember that.................................................. I TOLD YOU SO
Tomkat

Postby rozzo842 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Tomkat wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:I've been kicking around buying one of these two brands in a breathable for awhile. I think I'm going with macks. They seem to have more features at the se price as cabelas.

But I want you to remember that.................................................. I TOLD YOU SO

Have you had a bad experience with macks?
rozzo842

Postby Tomkat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 pm

rozzo842 wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

Have you had a bad experience with macks?

If you look above, you will see that Jarbo said FUCK MACKS or something to that affect.

You will also see that I am going into my 3rd season and am happy with my Cabelas.

Jarbo is the ultimate tester of waterfowl (or any) equipment. If he says it wont hold up, I believe him.
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm brutal on waders. My Macks neoprenes have held up way better than the 7 pairs of Cabelas ultimates I went through in 4 years. Cabelas dry plus breathables are the shit though, but I refuse to own their neoprenes.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby bill herian » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 am

rebelp74 wrote:I'm brutal on waders. My Macks neoprenes have held up way better than the 7 pairs of Cabelas ultimates I went through in 4 years. Cabelas dry plus breathables are the shit though, but I refuse to own their neoprenes.

My cableas neoprenes are going into their sixth or seventh season, nothing but minor leaks to repair. I use them (the knees and ass) to break .5-1.5 inch ice every year. If they can survive Kansas, they can survive anything. Nothing, and I mean nothing, grows in that state that dosen't have thorns.
bill herian

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:17 am

bill herian wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I'm brutal on waders. My Macks neoprenes have held up way better than the 7 pairs of Cabelas ultimates I went through in 4 years. Cabelas dry plus breathables are the shit though, but I refuse to own their neoprenes.

My cableas neoprenes are going into their sixth or seventh season, nothing but minor leaks to repair. I use them (the knees and ass) to break .5-1.5 inch ice every year. If they can survive Kansas, they can survive anything. Nothing, and I mean nothing, grows in that state that dosen't have thorns.

I must have gotten 7 bad batches, every one proclaims cabelas are the best. I had rips, tears, seams coming undone, boots cracking and even the sole of one the boots came off. The macks have made 3 seasons so far with no problems.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby insaneduck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Have the cabalas lite mag 800 gram 3.5m. They work great just started getting holes this year so I got the cabalas northern flight 1200gram 5m single strap and I love em! Recommend them to anyone! Comfortable as it gets and super tough because I've taken them to hell and back the last split in the thick nasty.brush. n still no leaks!
insaneduck

Postby rozzo842 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:01 am

Tomkat wrote:

Picked up the cabelas dry plus yesterday. They seem pretty solid. I like the reinforcement on the lower legs. I wish there was more insulation in the boot though. The macks have 1000g, these are only 600g
rozzo842

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum