How to Texas Rig

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Re: How to Texas Rig

Postby assateague » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 pm

T Man wrote:Im surprised you guys get tangles. I run the 400# mono and egg weights on my 12doz and I put them straight into the bag. Never had a tangle. I found that.when you make the loop and run the mono through the crimp they work best if you don't push the tag end out of the end of the crimp.

x2
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:43 pm

assateague wrote:
T Man wrote:Im surprised you guys get tangles. I run the 400# mono and egg weights on my 12doz and I put them straight into the bag. Never had a tangle. I found that.when you make the loop and run the mono through the crimp they work best if you don't push the tag end out of the end of the crimp.

x2

No tangles here either and some of mine are 10+ plus years old.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:01 pm

Mine were 400lb test mono and egg sinkers without tag ends sticking out of the crimps, and they tangled every way I tried to bag them. Were also a storage and transportation pain unbagged, so I went to a different heavy mono system that's somewhere between wrapping and texas rigging for deployment speed but doesn't tangle when bagged. Crimp the mono to the decoy, slide on a weight (I use strap weight halves with holes drilled in their middles), then run the mono through and back through a second (uncrimped) crimp that's use as an adjuster to snug the weight to the decoy for bagging or let it slide to however much of the line I want to use for deployment.
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:20 pm

These are where it's at. Had my grandma sew em up and used them all season. They work great until the temps get into the 20s. Then they freeze and don't work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388524630.372005.jpg

Can fit 1doz magnums per bag and they store and transport very easy. Never had a major tangle all season.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Weights and decoys both slide on the mono on my rigs. Originally I just ran the mono through the hole in the keel and crimped a little loop to keep it from sliding out. Did this on both ends. Since, I have put swivels on the line so that I can detach it from the decoy but both ends are still crimped the same way. I just put a dozen or so together and tie an over hand knot in them. I always just through mine in the bottom of the boat. Didn't seem to matter with the g&h's but other brands took a beating. Picked up a rig em right bag this year and will be getting a few more since switching to dakotas.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Re: How to BETTY Rig

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Here is yet another reason to Betty-rig your decoys. (Fuck Texas)
When you toss them get the weight up by the keel. You will NEVER have one land upside down and can use water keel decoys. Less weight means my chances of winning the boat race go up.
Image when the decoy hits water the weight slides down.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:18 pm

Lets say, for example, using water keel decoys saves you 8 ounces (i think I'm being generous) per decoy and you're running 4 dozen decoys, do you really think 24lbs will make the difference on winning the boat race?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:21 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Lets say, for example, using water keel decoys saves you 8 ounces (i think I'm being generous) per decoy and you're running 4 dozen decoys, do you really think 24lbs will make the difference on winning the boat race?

That's why we always fill the ballast tanks with helium before the morning races...
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:38 pm

Why do you think the guys talk so much shit? If they are full of hot air, they are lighter
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:37 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Lets say, for example, using water keel decoys saves you 8 ounces (i think I'm being generous) per decoy and you're running 4 dozen decoys, do you really think 24lbs will make the difference on winning the boat race?

Yes. Combine that with the fact I only weigh 150...every ounce adds up.
When I'm running for the crew I take everything out but the battery. They haul my gun, gear, dog, decoys, and everything.
Hunt the log-hole at the Brake once and you'd understand.
I'll look for some pictures of mucho mallard ducks lined up on that log.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:45 pm

This is what you're racing for.[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1397324715795.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1397324726615.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1397324736366.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1397324745890.jpg[/attachment]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:52 pm

aunt betty wrote:

When I'm running for the crew I take everything out but the battery. They haul my gun, gear, dog, decoys, and everything.

....and combine that with the fact of whether the leaves have fallen or not and you've got a make or break situation.

And your argument of water keel vs weighted keel just fell apart when you said you dont carry the decoys. MKay?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:41 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

....and combine that with the fact of whether the leaves have fallen or not and you've got a make or break situation.

And your argument of water keel vs weighted keel just fell apart when you said you dont carry the decoys. MKay?

Why do you keep dogging me? It's getting old. Say you're just fucking around please. :)
aunt betty

Postby capt1972 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:42 pm

:popcorn:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:56 pm

aunt betty wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

Why do you keep dogging me? It's getting old. Say you're just fucking around please. :)

Was it the "MKay?" part? Is that stealing your thing?

I AM just fucking around, but I couldn't resist after you bumped this old ass thread. I honestly dont understand the leaf thing though, mostly because I dont run an outboard.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:14 pm

It's kinda like when my fifth grade teacher taught us circumference is pi times diameter. I went home and started measuring tin cans...I was upset because I was like, "how the fuck do they know?".
It's one of them things you just have to accept. Boats with props don't work worth a shit in trashy water.
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:28 pm

aunt betty wrote:It's one of them things you just have to accept. Boats with props don't work worth a shit in trashy water.

Do you want me to let it go or keep it up? Because when you make a statement like this it makes me think you want to keep going around with this. Not all motors get shut down by trashy water.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:30 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
aunt betty wrote:It's one of them things you just have to accept. Boats with props don't work worth a shit in trashy water.

Do you want me to let it go or keep it up? Because when you make a statement like this it makes me think you want to keep going around with this. Not all motors get shut down by trashy water.

We're good. I thought maybe I'd offended you and deserve to be dogged.
Thanks 3leg
aunt betty

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:14 pm

aunt betty wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

We're good. I thought maybe I'd offended you and deserve to be dogged.
Thanks 3leg

Come on Betty, you act like someone soured your biscuit
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:54 am

Sour biscuits....that's AT. :qh:

Will the crimps from tangle free work on the 400# test?
My tangle-free shit got old enough to where the strings are breaking.
Time to re-do the spreads.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:42 am

If they're big enough for Tanglefree line, they should be big enough for 400lb test mono.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:54 am

Now this 400# test fishing line. All I find is called "leader". Is that the right stuff?
Have to order one of them kits or somethin. Want mine to be longer than normal. 10" would be great.
Have 5' rigs already. My ten-foot set is cracking the lines from getting wrapped up.
Have to have two sets or I'm switching lengths a lot which sucks.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:38 pm

I'd think 10' of 400 test mono a pain. But here's where I got mine: http://www.snlcorp.com/snl/other/duckdecoykit.aspx
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Rick wrote:I'd think 10' of 400 test mono a pain. But here's where I got mine: http://www.snlcorp.com/snl/other/duckdecoykit.aspx

My favorite hole has a pattern. It floods. Normally 5' strings work.
It'll rain and go up 5' and I need the 10' strings. It goes up about a foot a day, stays for two and then drops out as fast as it came in.

Have to set up two sets of decoys or play the string game a lot. I know ten foot is long but it's what I gotta do to get to my favorite spot to kill ducks. Could move further north and south as water rises and falls but I'm not that good.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum